BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Speculations about Parking Assistant in US

I have read some posts previously about how parking assistant works and what all it controls for X5 cars in US and found different answers.

I tried it recently and want to post my experience and tips so that it is useful for others. If everyone is already clear on that, ignore this

In one word, its pretty cool. It does control steering, acceleration, braking and Reverse and Drive shifts for you. All you need to do it hold the PDC button located besides the gear shifter.

Usage & Tips:

1. You need to drive slowly with parking assistant on and it will show you surround view with sensors checking both sides. You can turn the signal on to tell which direction you are looking to park so that it does check that side only.
2. Once it finds space, it will ask you to stop and ask you to hold the PDC button for automatic parking to engage. If you drive slowly, you will be able to stop whenever it says to stop. If you move a bit further after the stop notification comes, you might find it difficult as it feels like it almost hits the car besides you. So, its better to stop whenever it notifies.
3. Keep holding the PDC and you can see it steering, accelerating and braking all by it self. If you release the PDC button or if you brake, it will stop and ask you to manually park the vehicle.

Most of the people don't find it useful as we have all the surround view cameras and its easy to do parallel park. But, its worth it to have if you have new drivers in your home and they need to parallel park.

Happy Parking
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

It's a great feature. I love it on my car.

That said, it doesn't always find spots on the first try and it also curbed 2 of my wheels.

BMW replaced them but it was still disappointing.

I had the module updated. I hope it performs better now.
      09-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
It's a great feature. I love it on my car.

That said, it doesn't always find spots on the first try and it also curbed 2 of my wheels.

BMW replaced them but it was still disappointing.

I had the module updated. I hope it performs better now.
yep right..

That's why I said, if you are doubtful, just hit brakes and continue yourself and surround view helps better..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

It is a really nice feature to have, but a new system like this is going to have its early bird quirks until successfully implemented through an array of vehicles over time. Right now this tech only exists in Lexus, BMW, Audi, and some other cars (I haven't really kept up with self-parking technology)...but Audi seems to have their foot in the right direction.

@Hangover, good tips and write up because many people rely too much on such a feature thinking it's 100% when in reality it is not. To others reading this, always tread with caution because rims and parts for our F15 are not cheap .
      10-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Stumbled on this helpful thread and got a mystery solved. I didn't know that my F15 came with parking assistant, must have been packaged with the surround view and front camera and what nought I optioned. However, I did have parking assistant on the F13, and while I recognized the icon on the LCD screen, I didn't know how to use the F15's version!

Thanks guys for solving the mystery
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
It is a really nice feature to have, but a new system like this is going to have its early bird quirks until successfully implemented through an array of vehicles over time. Right now this tech only exists in Lexus, BMW, Audi, and some other cars (I haven't really kept up with self-parking technology)...but Audi seems to have their foot in the right direction.

@Hangover, good tips and write up because many people rely too much on such a feature thinking it's 100% when in reality it is not. To others reading this, always tread with caution because rims and parts for our F15 are not cheap .
You make it sound like this is some ultra new feature. Self parking systems have being around since 2003 ... On bmws since 2010. It's now available on Fords.

There should be absolutely no reason why the system doesn't work or its curbing wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
You make it sound like this is some ultra new feature. Self parking systems have being around since 2003 ... On bmws since 2010. It's now available on Fords.

There should be absolutely no reason why the system doesn't work or its curbing wheels.
Excuse my ignorance. I didn't know how far back it was started. I've only seen the system from back when Lexus implemented it in their LS for parallel parking.

The accuracy of F15 is still not perfect based on the feedback of other members that have this feature in this forum. I don't have it on my vehicle so I can't really test how accurate it is. Perhaps you're right, it should be perfect...but let's be real...how many things should work on our vehicles that actually have hiccups.
      10-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Where I am from, we had that features for decades, or maybe centuries.
You only pay $.50/use.
Used be much cheaper though, before the devaluation, SE Asia crisis in '98, etc.
It gave you a very accurate reading down to a mm, if there is a puddle by your door, and even covering you up when it rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
You only pay $.50/use.
Used be much cheaper though, before the devaluation, SE Asia crisis in '98, etc.
It gave you a very accurate reading down to a mm, if there is a puddle by your door, and even covering you up when it rain.
Are you talking about valets parking for you? If so...no thanks :

10-07-2014, 02:09 AM   #10
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Quote:
You only pay $.50/use.
You are flipping hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Are you talking about valets parking for you? If so...no thanks :
I think he is talking about flaggers.
"come, come, come, come, stooooooop, steer left, forward, move, move, move, move, stoooooop, ok, now turn the other way, come this way, ok go, go, go stooooooop".
      10-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
"come, come, come, come, stooooooop, steer left, forward, move, move, move, move, stoooooop, ok, now turn the other way, come this way, ok go, go, go stooooooop".
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I mean I can clearly see that, but his description doesn't match a flagger at all: "It gave you a very accurate reading down to a mm, if there is a puddle by your door, and even covering you up when it rain." That sounds more like a hotel valet/concierge person that knows how to park (down to a mm), helps you step out of your vehicle if there is a puddle, and stands over you with an umbrella until you get out (still doesn't make any sense to me - really random comment overall, lol).
      10-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, they do everything in Indonesia. Forgot the disclaimer: Make sure to drive expensive car for the extra features.

Not sure in other countries, but in Indonesia, they can guide you to a mm gap between the car.

If it the hotel valet, that you will have to be careful, they are either thief or joy rider. Hahaha.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha, they do everything in Indonesia. Forgot the disclaimer: Make sure to drive expensive car for the extra features.

Not sure in other countries, but in Indonesia, they can guide you to a mm gap between the car.

If it the hotel valet, that you will have to be careful, they are either thief or joy rider. Hahaha.
Oh, haha. I didn't know that. Interesting.