BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Bootmod3 question?

I'm selling my F85 and putting it back to stock. I tried to flash the DMEs back but I keep getting an error message: OBD Agent not detected.
I turned off Windows Defender, and downloaded and updated the OBD Agent a couple of times to no avail.
I disconnected the battery for 3 minutes because I saw that if you used a WiFi connection previously, you needed to do that. I used a WiFi connection just for coding but figured it couldn't hurt.
Their instructions say something like Download the agent then run the agent. It doesn't say how to run the agent. Does anybody have any other ideas?
I did email support but I thought this may be quicker if I'm just doing something stupid.
Here's another question. Can the dealer just flash the whole thing to stock if I tell them the BM3 tune is in there? I need to get this thing to pass SMOG before I sell it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e39 540 sport & BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I'm selling my F85 and putting it back to stock. I tried to flash the DMEs back but I keep getting an error message: OBD Agent not detected.
I turned off Windows Defender, and downloaded and updated the OBD Agent a couple of times to no avail.
I disconnected the battery for 3 minutes because I saw that if you used a WiFi connection previously, you needed to do that. I used a WiFi connection just for coding but figured it couldn't hurt.
Their instructions say something like Download the agent then run the agent. It doesn't say how to run the agent. Does anybody have any other ideas?
I did email support but I thought this may be quicker if I'm just doing something stupid.
Here's another question. Can the dealer just flash the whole thing to stock if I tell them the BM3 tune is in there? I need to get this thing to pass SMOG before I sell it.
Thanks
I cant help you with deprogramming it, but was wondering how did you like the performance?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post
I cant help you with deprogramming it, but was wondering how did you like the performance?
It was very good. It's certainly way better than stock. I ended up going with a JB4 so I could run Methanol injection. I only used the BM3 tune for added cooling, quieter exhaust on cold startup, and to kill the CEL from my downpipes after that.
A custom tune, using BM3 would be better by far.
As a tuner myself, I totally understand that any generic tune is going to be very soft compared to a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
I can’t help you with the connection sadly, but the dealer wouldn’t be able to flash the car back to stock for you. Theoretically they could run a software update which would wipe out that tune and lock the DME but then the next owner is hosed.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
I can’t help you with the connection sadly, but the dealer wouldn’t be able to flash the car back to stock for you. Theoretically they could run a software update which would wipe out that tune and lock the DME but then the next owner is hosed.
Why would the next owner be hosed? Would that cause some other problem besides wiping out the BM3 tune? He doesn't want the BM3 tune in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #6
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
Why would the next owner be hosed? Would that cause some other problem besides wiping out the BM3 tune? He doesn't want the BM3 tune in it.
Hosed just in the sense that he would have to have the DME bench unlocked to tune again. But if he doesn’t want it then it’s all good.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0