BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #23
JDoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Thank you for putting up those clips, really helpful for potential buyers like myself.

I am also interested in getting this exhaust once my 35i arrive, now, because I am in canada and if I can get a better deal buying from the states, can I install this myself? Or is it something that I need to get the dealership to do the installation?
The installation seems pretty straightforward to me. The muffler simply clamps on. However I don't have a jack or a pipe cutter so I had the dealership do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoc View Post
The installation seems pretty straightforward to me. The muffler simply clamps on. However I don't have a jack or a pipe cutter so I had the dealership do it.
Do you remember the labor time required for installing the rear valence and 50i tips?

So Far the dealer is quoting about 2400 for MPE and rear valence installed. Seems high.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #25
JDoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem14
Quote:
Do you remember the labor time required for installing the rear valence and 50i tips?

So Far the dealer is quoting about 2400 for MPE and rear valence installed. Seems high.

Thanks!
The whole thing was done in an hour and a half. Didn't take long at all. They charged me $220 for the labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Just wanted to say that your videos are spot on in terms of how my MPE sounds. I just installed mine and I really like it. This is one aggressive sounding exhaust from the outside but surprisingly not much of the sound makes it into the cabin on the X5. You can barely tell you changed the exhaust and it even passed the wife test because she didn't notice it being any different. Even if i rolled the windows down you really have to look for it to hear the exhaust.

I am also surprised that the stock exhaust system is a full 3" pipe from the downpipe back to the muffler with zero resonators in-between. Every BMW i've had in the past had atleast one or two resonators in the system. I had my wife rev the engine while i was standing from behind the car and boy did it sound amazing. You can hear the turbos loud and clear too

Alan
      05-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #27
JDoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Just wanted to say that your videos are spot on in terms of how my MPE sounds. I just installed mine and I really like it. This is one aggressive sounding exhaust from the outside but surprisingly not much of the sound makes it into the cabin on the X5. You can barely tell you changed the exhaust and it even passed the wife test because she didn't notice it being any different. Even if i rolled the windows down you really have to look for it to hear the exhaust.

I am also surprised that the stock exhaust system is a full 3" pipe from the downpipe back to the muffler with zero resonators in-between. Every BMW i've had in the past had atleast one or two resonators in the system. I had my wife rev the engine while i was standing from behind the car and boy did it sound amazing. You can hear the turbos loud and clear too

Alan
I am glad you like the MPE. I am very pleased with this exhaust as well. It is aggressive but not overly so which is exactly what I was looking for when I was shopping around. I too was also surprised that it only had a straight pipe when Ben told me that haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #28
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Alan

Ahh Ok. That was one question I had for Ben in his exhaust mod thread, was it seems like you could really hear those Turbos spool. So they are louder with this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #29
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Yes because basically this exhaust is straight through from the turbos to the muffler. The MPE exhaust sounds very similar to Ben's video with a catless down pipe. Bens video pre catless dp's has a deeper bassier tone than the MPE.

Alan
      05-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #30
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes because basically this exhaust is straight through from the turbos to the muffler. The MPE exhaust sounds very similar to Ben's video with a catless down pipe. Bens video pre catless dp's has a deeper bassier tone than the MPE.

Alan
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am a newbie to modifications and have enjoyed following yours!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #31
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Some more thoughts on this MPE after having it for the weekend....

Wife doesn't like it. You can't hear it inside of the car much but she heard it when i drove off. Said it sounds weak lol. She's use to the bassy deep tone from my 550 with a TTV8. I do say that I would prefer the tone to be slightly deeper/fuller though...

I think due to my MPPK software when I let off the throttle the exhaust pops a lot. From inside the cabin you can hear it but it doesn't sound all that great. Its not the popping sound I am use to from my BMW sedans. Somehow the X5 really isolates the exhaust sounds. The first few times i noticed the popping sound I thought something was loose back there.
      05-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #32
JDoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Some more thoughts on this MPE after having it for the weekend....

Wife doesn't like it. You can't hear it inside of the car much but she heard it when i drove off. Said it sounds weak lol. She's use to the bassy deep tone from my 550 with a TTV8. I do say that I would prefer the tone to be slightly deeper/fuller though...

I think due to my MPPK software when I let off the throttle the exhaust pops a lot. From inside the cabin you can hear it but it doesn't sound all that great. Its not the popping sound I am use to from my BMW sedans. Somehow the X5 really isolates the exhaust sounds. The first few times i noticed the popping sound I thought something was loose back there.
It's a tall task to have an i6 sound like a v8 lol. If the overrun burble gets annoying, I found that putting the car in comfort mode gets rid of the burble altogether. I have mppk as well. The only difference is I have bms stage 1 on top of mppk instead of racechip...so YMMV
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #33
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I am about to purchase and dealer install the MPPK and ME but for $1750 ME I am afraid it would not pass the wife and baby test

I may have to settle with MPPK for now, does it add the burble and pops? I hope it is not obnoxious inside the cabin
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I finally got the power kit installed on sport mode you can hear burble and it sounds like someone is gently tapping your trunk with a mallet under an abrupt engine load

it pops on every WOT shift assuming you did not press the kick down switch
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #35
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I don't mind the burble/popping during WOT but i actually don't like it whenever you let off the gas if you are in sport mode. Starting to get annoying to be honest because i expect to hear the exhaust when I am on the gas not when i'm slowing down for a stop sign etc...

It is what it is and its part of the MPPK programming so nothing you can do really. Comfort mode does disable the burbling but then the car isn't as fun to drive either.

Alan
      06-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #36
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

I'm going to shop around for an exhaust for the fall or spring and really want to like the MPE because it's relatively inexpensive... But am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a ricer? I haven't heard it in person, but on the videos it sounds like the pre-pubescent little brother to an Eisenmann or Akrapovic. No disrespect to anybody that has and loves it...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #37
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Its just the nature of how the N55 sounds and on the F15 its pretty much a straight pipe exhaust from the downpipe all the way back to the muffler. its as pure as it can get on the F15 and probably louder from the outside than even a 3 series with the same exhaust. You don't hear much from the inside though. The F15 really blocks out the sound of the exhaust. If you listen to any N55 Bmw with an aftermarket exhaust they all sound relatively similar and close to how the MPE sounds so no point paying 2-3X the amount for eisenmann or whatever.

Last edited by Alan l.; 06-26-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #38
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Quote:
Its just the nature of how the N55 sounds and on the F15 its pretty much a straight pipe exhaust from the downpipe all the way back to the muffler. its as pure as it can get on the F15 and probably louder from the outside than even a 3 series with the same exhaust. You don't hear much from the inside though. The F15 really blocks out the sound of the exhaust. If you listen to any N55 Bmw with an aftermarket exhaust they all sound relatively similar and close to how the MPE sounds so no point paying 2-3X the amount for eisenmann or whatever.
Good info, Alan. I honestly haven't had any exposure other than the online videos... but some just sound so much deeper and fuller... maybe its the nature of the mic on a GoPro that isn't capturing it.

Watch at the 1:45 mark.... this is the depth I'd be looking for and I the MPE videos I've heard don't come close.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #39
JDoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
I don't mind the burble/popping during WOT but i actually don't like it whenever you let off the gas if you are in sport mode. Starting to get annoying to be honest because i expect to hear the exhaust when I am on the gas not when i'm slowing down for a stop sign etc...

It is what it is and its part of the MPPK programming so nothing you can do really. Comfort mode does disable the burbling but then the car isn't as fun to drive either.

Alan
Alan, I found that leaving the car in comfort and putting the shifter in sport mode (shift to the left) is the best half measure. That way you get the higher shift points but without the overrun burbles. I don't have adaptive suspension so it works for me. If you do have adaptive suspension you will be missing that as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #40
ZOHVI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z06/335i E92

Is it necessary to buy the tips and stuff along with this exhaust if I already have an M-sport? or can i just transfer the tips onto this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #41
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOHVI
Is it necessary to buy the tips and stuff along with this exhaust if I already have an M-sport? or can i just transfer the tips onto this exhaust?
Yes it is necessary, unless if you want to chop off the old one and weld it on the MPE. You may need to extend the pipe a little etc to meet with the MPE.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #42
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

Quote:
these are the last videos unless people want to see something else. I believe all the videos in this thread should cover most questions people have.

This is a comparison between the cold and warm startups. The camera was mounted at the same place and the videos were taken between 10 minutes of driving to warm up the engine.

Just a video on WOT for the burbles between shifts.
What else did you have to buy except MPE and lower part of the bumper ? It looks like luxury line, right? Thanx
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
JDoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12
Quote:
these are the last videos unless people want to see something else. I believe all the videos in this thread should cover most questions people have.

This is a comparison between the cold and warm startups. The camera was mounted at the same place and the videos were taken between 10 minutes of driving to warm up the engine.

Just a video on WOT for the burbles between shifts.
What else did you have to buy except MPE and lower part of the bumper ? It looks like luxury line, right? Thanx
Those and the 50i style tips are all you need if you don't have MSport
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #44
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Adding my video sound clip of cold start and revs of the MPE exhaust.. note at the end sounds like the turbos winding down.