BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
MSport28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / G30 540

I'm wondering how many users who have replied have even driven this newest generation Explorer? I also love when someone says that sometime back 20 years ago they had a car that had an issue so automatically the brand is blacklisted for all eternity ... smh

A Ford and a BMW will never truly compete in the same sentence. That being said, we've had a 2011 XLT 4WD with the standard 3.5 V6 and now a 2014 Sport model with the Ecoboost TT V6 and AWD. The Explorer is a great car, has plenty of power with the Ecoboost, looks good and has all the bells and whistles expected these days including cameras, blind spot, power lift, vented seats, etc. My biggest complaint is the handling, especially torque steer under hard acceleration. But let's remember the Explorer is built on a modified car platform and Ford goes for volume versatility versus driving dynamics.

Anyone who knocks the Ford and recommends a Japanese product really should go drive one. They should also look at sales numbers and simply pay attention to how many are on the road. If you want a great all around SUV-type vehicle, the Ford wins. If you want a true SUV, buy a Grand Cherokee. If you want something that feels like a BMW, buy a BMW, haha.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #24
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport28 View Post
I'm wondering how many users who have replied have even driven this newest generation Explorer? I also love when someone says that sometime back 20 years ago they had a car that had an issue so automatically the brand is blacklisted for all eternity ... smh

A Ford and a BMW will never truly compete in the same sentence. That being said, we've had a 2011 XLT 4WD with the standard 3.5 V6 and now a 2014 Sport model with the Ecoboost TT V6 and AWD. The Explorer is a great car, has plenty of power with the Ecoboost, looks good and has all the bells and whistles expected these days including cameras, blind spot, power lift, vented seats, etc. My biggest complaint is the handling, especially torque steer under hard acceleration. But let's remember the Explorer is built on a modified car platform and Ford goes for volume versatility versus driving dynamics.

Anyone who knocks the Ford and recommends a Japanese product really should go drive one. They should also look at sales numbers and simply pay attention to how many are on the road. If you want a great all around SUV-type vehicle, the Ford wins. If you want a true SUV, buy a Grand Cherokee. If you want something that feels like a BMW, buy a BMW, haha.
I am giving this a +1, not because I know anything about Ford, but for the point of a BMW isn't the perfect car for everyone, even if you can afford it.
Appreciate 4
      07-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #25
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
I could really use some advice. I need to decide on whether to purchase a 50i or 35i. I am waiting to order a 2016. In reviewing 2016 Pricing Guide, the MSRP on a 35i is $78,270 and an identically equipped 50i is $87,445 for a difference of $9,175. Let's face it, I love the acceleration and power of the 50i, but $9K more? Not to mention worse fuel economy and I know many of you consider the V8 as prone to problems. I hate to spend the extra money and I hate to have less fuel efficiency but I don't want to later regret not purchasing the 50i.

Now, consider this, Ford is coming out with its Platinum edition soon. Yes, I know, this is a BMW forum and I will probably be booted off for even mentioning the "F" word, but give this some thought. The Ford has an MSRP of $54,340, which is almost $24,000 less money than the 35i (and the Ford's V6 has more horsepower than the 35i and comes standard with a trailer hitch!). Yes, I love the technology of the BMW (just bought my wife a 2015 Z4 which she absolutely loves) but is it worth this much more money? After the warranty runs out, I anticipate my repair bills will be substantially more than the Ford. Please let me have your thoughts. Thanks!
Let me first say that I'm in a similar situation as you (grown kids in my early 50's and have the ability to get a nice vehicle). I also considered several vehicles across the spectrum of what's available. My needs were such that I wanted reasonable fuel economy, ability to tow a boat and utility trailer, comfort, and fun to drive (not in order of priority). After almost a year of exploring options I landed on the X5d. I previously had a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crewmax and a company car and wanted to combine into one vehicle. I did also do a lot of research on the DHP and couldn't be happier with the decision to add it. I wasn't able to drive a test vehicle with DHP but read as much as I could get my hands on. Absolutely no regret with laying out the additional $$ for the improved handling.

I recently added an invisihitch to begin towing. I'm very happy with the X5d across the board. I'm averaging about 26/27 mpg in mixed driving and find the combination of acceleration, comfort, and sportiness combined with utility (towing) to be about perfect for me. If I was forced to find one thing to improve it might be to have another inch or two of legroom to the drivers seat area. It's just enough at 6' 1" tall and coming from the Tundra's cavernous dimensions it probably feels smaller to me than it would for some. As others have said its all subjective so I hope you land on the vehicle that's right for you. Have fun figuring it out!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #26
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

First, an Explorer and X5 are apples and oranges. Yes, the Explorer is nice. I rented one for a 2500 mile road trip and was very happy with it but it's in an entirely different league.

Secondly, fuel economy between the 35 and 50 is substantial and the people arguing it as being negligible are wrong. A combined 21mpg (18/27) on the 35 vs 17mpg (15/22) will quickly add up at the pump. If you don't need the extra power of a V8, don't get it.

Third, just remember that when the warranty runs out, you're still paying to repair an $87k vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:38 AM   #27
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Secondly, fuel economy between the 35 and 50 is substantial and the people arguing it as being negligible are wrong. A combined 21mpg (18/27) on the 35 vs 17mpg (15/22) will quickly add up at the pump. If you don't need the extra power of a V8, don't get it.
If you believe in EPA estimates, which I don't. So many variables will dictate the end result, it is impossible to debate. Our E70 X5M, now that was a gas hog. Our F15 X5 50i is averaging 3mpg less than our former, lighter F25 X3 35i...same driver and routine.
      07-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
If you believe in EPA estimates, which I don't. So many variables will dictate the end result, it is impossible to debate. Our E70 X5M, now that was a gas hog. Our F15 X5 50i is averaging 3mpg less than our former, lighter F25 X3 35i...same driver and routine.
I'm using the EPA estimates because I don't have long term experience with my 35 and don't have a 50 but I have no reason to believe those numbers are far off. My experience is the EPA estimates are typically higher than real life experience.

My last two cars were below the average:
M3 had an EPA combined of 16 (14/20) and my average was 14.6.
Supercharged Range Rover Sport has an EPA combined of 14 (12/17) and my average was 13
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #29
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
It's pretty simple... Ford don't think of putting a smile on the Driver's Face... BMW Does!!

I just picked up my 2016 xDrive35i M Sport Yesterday and it is very powerful and I was smiling like an idiot while driving it home and I jumped like an excited 4 Year Old when I first saw it... I don't think a Ford will do that to you and in the end you'll be bored with the car and eventually, Sell it...

Edit: The DHP is WORTH IT!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #30
greekmike
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i,

I joined this forum just so I can post to this thread; I'm sure I will be posting to other threads now too :-)
I was waiting for the Ford Explorer Platinum to come out but it's going to be a few more months and my lease on my Ford Escape ends soon.
I decided to order an X5 35d on Thursday but wanted to give the 2016 Explorer a test drive because I love the Active Lane Keep assist, the Perpendicular Parking assist, the Automatic Folding 3rd row, larger cargo space, and of course the smaller price tag.
A dealer up the street from BMW had the Limited with all the options I wanted so drive from BMW dealership to Ford to do a test drive.

I test drove an Explorer Limited witch all the options.
At first I liked the lane-keep-assist but then I noticed that it didn't always work, and it also corrected my steering even when I was driving normally (I didn't like that)
I then tried the Perpendicular Auto Park feature; this was interesting because it had a difficult time finding a spot; you can't just back into a corner spot if there is not a car or other obstacle on both sides of the parking space; when it finally found one it almost ran into the car that was next to the spot I wanted to park next to.
I will chalk that up to "User Error" since Perpendicular Parking is a new feature even though I currently have a 2013 Escape with the Parallel Parking Assist.
Since I always park my cars at end spots, the perpendicular parking option would not have worked for me because I like to park as far away from the car next to me as possible, to avoid door dings, perpendicular parking tries to put you in the center of the parking spot; which is only a benefit if you are parking in between 2 vehicles.
The ride was very smooth and fairly quiet but the material of the Explorer felt a little plasticy and not as sturdy to me; I know this isn't the Platinum that will have much higher end material, but I was still not excited about driving the car.
The most annoying thing about the Ford Explorer is the foot rest is more to the right due to the wheel well of the car extending into the driver's space which made me feel like I was sitting sideways; this is not an issue with the Ford Escape I have and it isn't an issue with the X5. Having a hump sticking out of the side of the driver’s side is beyond annoying in my opinion and it would make for terrible road-trips or long drives sitting in traffic.

I drove back to the BMW dealership and immediately ordered my X5 knowing I wouldn't have buyer’s remorse by not giving Ford a chance.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #31
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

If you've read through all the replies you'll see it's really a personal preference between these two engines. It really depends on what you want from your X5.

We're heard nearly every perspective - 35i owners saying it's plenty, 50i owners saying get the V8 you won't regret it, and even a 50i owner saying if he did it again he'd get the 35i. You gotta drive both and decide for yourself.

I'm in a E70 but the motors are currently the same as the F15 (and actually the current N63 V8 is tuned to offer an even bigger jump in HP & TQ from the F15 35i) - we drove both and for us the 50i was the vehicle to get. I don't give a rip about gas mileage (the 35i is barely any better anyway) and wanted the extra power to move this 5300 lb rig around town. Not to mention the V8 sounds so much better. Still, the 35i offered plenty of power and I would have been really happy with it.

Good luck in your decision
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #32
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Well, thank you all for your excellent input. I had no idea I would receive as many responses as I did. I really do appreciate it. Greekmike made an excellent point with regard to the Ford Explorer. I made the exact same observation that he did, that is, with regard to the foot rest for your left foot. I have to tell you, there is really no comfortable place to rest your left foot. I only test drove the Ford Explorer for about 10 minutes, but I was already annoyed with where to rest my foot. If I was annoyed after 10 minutes, imagine what a four hour ride would be like.

Jiggz also really summed it up well, and hinges on how important these variables are: budget, fuel economy, sound ("throaty-ness"), actual needs, and performance. There is no doubt that the 35i really does have plenty of power, it does get better gas mileage (albeit some would argue only slightly better), and it is less money. I ran a detailed calculation comparison. If you equip a 35i and a 50i identically both having most every option except for DHP, comfort rear seats, or parking assistant (the 50i gets the bonus of soft close doors since it is included in the executive package), the difference in the MSRP is about $9,175, which is a lot.

At the end of the day, I am opting for the 50i in glacier silver, mocha interior package and every other option available when selecting the M Sport package (even DHP thanks to everyone's good comments about it) except that pedestrian detection thing, rear seat entertainment, spare tire, concierge service thing, and active steering. The materials we have say production begins on August 15, 2015 (I am not sure that is right since that is a Saturday) so I plan to order in mid to late August. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #33
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Well, thank you all for your excellent input. I had no idea I would receive as many responses as I did. I really do appreciate it. Greekmike made an excellent point with regard to the Ford Explorer. I made the exact same observation that he did, that is, with regard to the foot rest for your left foot. I have to tell you, there is really no comfortable place to rest your left foot. I only test drove the Ford Explorer for about 10 minutes, but I was already annoyed with where to rest my foot. If I was annoyed after 10 minutes, imagine what a four hour ride would be like.

Jiggz also really summed it up well, and hinges on how important these variables are: budget, fuel economy, sound ("throaty-ness"), actual needs, and performance. There is no doubt that the 35i really does have plenty of power, it does get better gas mileage (albeit some would argue only slightly better), and it is less money. I ran a detailed calculation comparison. If you equip a 35i and a 50i identically both having most every option except for DHP, comfort rear seats, or parking assistant (the 50i gets the bonus of soft close doors since it is included in the executive package), the difference in the MSRP is about $9,175, which is a lot.

At the end of the day, I am opting for the 50i in glacier silver, mocha interior package and every other option available when selecting the M Sport package (even DHP thanks to everyone's good comments about it) except that pedestrian detection thing, rear seat entertainment, spare tire, concierge service thing, and active steering. The materials we have say production begins on August 15, 2015 (I am not sure that is right since that is a Saturday) so I plan to order in mid to late August. Can't wait!
You have made the correct engine choice. The only word to describe the 50i power is EXHILERATING. Its like driving a race car every day. BTW: I have a 50 mile round trip commute, virtually all interstate, and am averaging 22.4 mpg, 500 miles on a tank. Enjoy, I know you will.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #34
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
That will be a real nice X5! Good choices
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #35
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

what are your thoughts now that you have been driving the 50i for a few months?

I'm trying to decide between a few rigs myself (x5 35i/35d/50i, Yukon Denali, Tundra CrewMax Platinum, 4Runner Limited... still a ways to go!!)

thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #36
Jesse E93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E93

I bought a 50i and no way I would be happy with less power. It's pretty heavy for a 3.0 even with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #37
smc007
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Used?

I got a 6 month old 2015 50i ($86k msrp) for $59k last month. Had 8500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #38
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Love Ford products... I own one. Also love my X6 35i and X6M. All great vehicles but if you want to get in and put a big smile on your face every time you drive get the 35i. If you want to get in and have a big shit-eating grin every time you drive get the X6 50i. And if you want to get in and laugh incredulously every time get a X6M.

Last edited by str8line; 01-23-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #39
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
If you care about MPG, don't get the 50i.

If you don't care how much your fill ups are, then it's not a hard choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #40
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Here are my thoughts on this: if you take a base 35i then I would first max out handling on it before considering the engine upgrade. That means DHP, performance tires and M-line for the lower ride.

If you have all these in your extras and still have budget remaining then consider the 50i

See, straight line 0-60 is not the reason to get a BMW for, GMC Yukon Denali gets to 60 pretty fast. BMW is for the case when you have to take some corners

The 35i is strong enough that you are seconds away any time from reaching the limits of the base chassis, so handling is where the car needs the $$$ put in first in my opinion.

Last edited by realsgy; 01-24-2016 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #41
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
what are your thoughts now that you have been driving the 50i for a few months?

I'm trying to decide between a few rigs myself (x5 35i/35d/50i, Yukon Denali, Tundra CrewMax Platinum, 4Runner Limited... still a ways to go!!)

thanks!
Well, thanks evanescent03 for resurrecting my old thread. It was kind of nice to go back in time and look at what I was thinking about back then. Yes, I took delivery of my X5 on November 18, 2015, and I have had it for over two months now. OK, so this is a long answer to your short question.

I absolutely love my X5. I mentioned in another recent thread started by CanDrive55 (who ordered one himself recently) that I am still looking for excuses to drive it.

With regard to the 35i vs. 50i (and also the 35d; it deserves more discussion than I gave it), for me, I am glad I bought the 50i. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The technology is wonderful. At 52 years old, I tend to be more conservative when I drive it. I find myself using eco pro mode frequently to see how high I can get my gas mileage. I also like how eco pro disengages the transmission when coasting. I think it makes a big difference in fuel economy. I wish that feature was available in comfort and sport modes as well. However, this past Friday while driving home (in comfort mode) a motorist ahead of me just could not seem to get out of my way; finally when he did, frustration got the better of me and I floored it and held it there for about 5 seconds (believe it or not, first time I did that). I just had no idea the kind of power it has, particularly when the two turbo chargers gave it their boost. Quite a delight.

Now for the bad. Despite conservative driving and the use of eco pro mode, I struggle to get more than 18 miles per gallon, and I usually get in the 17.5 range. With only a 22 gallon tank, I fill up more frequently than I would like. This is not so bad given the current gas prices but when those prices go back up, it won't be so fun. I also worry about reliability. I have had zero problems with my X5 and, since I purchased rather than leased, I plan to keep it for a while. But comments from some of our fellow forum members over reliability cause me some concern. Of course, the worst part is the price. Goodness gracious that was a lot of money, and this was for a depreciating asset. Didn't I learn that you should not spend money on a depreciating asset and save, save, save for retirement?! Whoever said that forgot about our desire to live life and have some fun too.

I test drove the 35i and, to be candid, it had plenty of power (and adding the MPPK and those other goodies to the 35i makes that engine a beast). How many times will I actually floor it to enjoy all of that power? In the two months I have had it, I did it once. Not sure once every two months justifies $9,000 more dollars.

I do think the 35d should have gotten more consideration by me. Its torque and miles per gallon are significant and it does not have that loud annoying diesel sound like those General Motors diesels from the 1980's (I had a 1982 Chevy 6.2 liter diesel 4WD pickup that you could hear coming from a mile away - I think it was that memory that caused me to shy away from considering a diesel, and that is too bad). Diesel is also cheaper than premium where I live. In the end, if I had it to do all over again, I would buy the 50i but I have no real justification for it other than I like knowing the power is there and I like the sound of the V8.

Now, for the Ford Explorer, I still like its looks, its power, and the features it has (even a trailer hitch). Recently I rented one while on vacation and, although I still like it, I just could not get comfortable as I had no where to put my left foot. It was just too cramped. I love the left foot rest in the X5. I also found the seats and trim were still cheap looking and the fit and finish was not great either (then again, it did not cost as much as my X5; I guess you get what you pay for).

The thing that bothers me about my X5 (other than the price) was that it does not have a trailer hitch. I plan to install an invisihitch but I should not have to do that, the X5 should have come standard with it. Still annoys me. The black carpeting, while it looks nice, shows every speck of dust. I have to vacuum it out at least once a week. I plan to get the WeatherTech front and rear floor mats and the cargo mat which will help.

As for options, if you decide to get an X5, get as many as you can afford. I took a long look at the results of MattBianco's survey which was very helpful for me. The comments from the responders to his survey were accurate. Some of the options I ordered, while nice, were not critical. For example, I did not need active steering, Bang and Olufsen, or even the cold weather package (particularly here in Florida where flip flops are the state shoe), but the price for these options was in my budget so I ordered them.

I hope you found my comments helpful as you continue evaluating what to buy. Sorry I went on such a long rant.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #42
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Yesterday, I was in my buddy's new Ford Flex with that Ecoboost engine that pumps out 355 HP. I was pretty impressed until I got into my wife's X5 35i M Sport and drove it in Sports Mode. The X5 35i will have a better gas mileage and in my case we came from an E70 4.8L to an F15 35i...their was a noticeable difference in fuel and the MPPK neutralized the difference in power.

The problem between the Explorer and the X5 is you're not really comparing "Apples to Apples" for example we have an X5 as well as a Jeep GC Overland (my daily drive) and both cars serve their purposes. I look at the Jeep as the everyday work horse like yesterday when we were moving furniture. We selected the X5 for the driving pleasure, looks and the fact my wife only wants to drive an SUV (height, comfort, safety)...it will never see furniture in it's cargo area.

If you consider looking outside of an X5 I'd be looking at a Jeep Overland or Summit "if you don't need as much room" as the Explorer. At the end of the day nor the Explorer or Jeep Overland / Summit is going to perform like the X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #43
F36_CB1K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36

Explorer will provide you a whiff of whichever grade fuel you put in each time you floor the gas pedal. Build quality is MIA. Dealers in SD area have refused to fix the issue. We are getting rid of our 1 year old explorer this spring as we cannot risk our kids inhaling anymore gas fumes.

Started looking for deals on an X5 35i.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #44
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
I would not pay over 45k for a Ford Explorer - it just doesn't make sense when the base model is so much less. See what the lease rates are. I just don't see strong resale on a $50k+ Ford Explorer in 3-4 years.

Chris