BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

F15 M-Sport Glacier Silver delivered for my birthday! (UK)

I collected my new X5 30d M-Sport in Glacier Silver couple days ago in the UK. It was delivered as promised - just for my birthday! +with the build date on my youngest son's birthday - I hope this will be one lucky vehicle
I only drove about 900 km till now (delivery in the UK - destination Luxembourg), but so far it's a very impressive vehicle.
It's veeeery different from my beloved E60 M-sport. F15 build quality is up to a (surprisingly) very high standard (which has become so rare in recent BMWs that it made me lean towards Audi for awhile....).

Drive position is a bit awkward (I never drove or considered having SUV till now), but I hope I will get used to it in time. For the moment, I automatically bow my head when entering any underground parking entrance... Comfort onboard is simply unbelievable and exeeeds all of my expectations (adaptive M-suspension, comfort seats front and rear, silence in the cabin, almost no diesel rattle at all). Haven't yet pushed it to its limits on nearby German speedlimit-free autobahn (motor too fresh, I think...?), but I guess it will behave like most of these tanks do: not so secure in terms of body-roll and far more noisy than "normal" car. But well, we'll see.
The goal of having a 5+2 seater Ultimate Driving Machine (without getting one of "socker-mommy vans") is well achieved, and we did a quick test-tour around the country of Luxembourg over the long-weekend (covered over 200km) with two kids "in the trunk", grand-parents in the back and us - parents in front: all very comfortable + some added value: a true pleasure to the drive (while in Sport mode, of course). Technology and multimedia onboard are simply amazing; I am so glad I didn't end up in the RRS in the end (and I was very close to...). Although my wife is upset that it all works while car in motion... Yes, it can take one's attention off the road - that's a little bit true. Economy is +/- acceptable so far (8,6 l/100km) though a bit off from what BMW promises. So, all in all I cannot be happier!

There are couple of little annoying details (I have an "unfortunate" comparison to my 200.000km problems-and-maintance-free, top-economic, top-handling E60 520d M-Sport) but well, I will post a longer review after couple of weeks of normal everyday drive + some weekend getaways.
Insurance cost killed my spirit for the moment (I haven't realized before how much these people drain SUV's drivers' pockets...). It's about twice as much as I expected...

My build:
X5 xDrive30d M-Sport X-Drive
Glaciersilber Metallic (A83)
Leder Dakota/schwarz (LCSW)

P337A M Sports package
S2VFA Adaptive M suspension
S2PVA BMW LA wheel M Double Spoke 467
S2TBA Sport automatic transmission
S760A High gloss shadow line
S4MRA Interior strips, aluminum hexagon
S3ATA Roof rail, aluminum, satin finish
S402A Electric panoramic roof
S420A Sun protection glazing
S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S456A Comfort seat with memory
S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S493A Storage compartment package
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4NCA Additional heating/ventilation
S4UBA 3rd seat row
S563A Light package
S5A1A LED Fog lights
S3AGA Reversing camera
S5DLA Surround View
S609A Navigation system Professional
S654A DAB Tuner Bavaria C III
S688A HARMAN/KARDON Surround Sound System
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A Xenon Light
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S6AEA TeleServices
S6AKA ConnectedDrive Services
S6AMA Real Time Traffic Information
S6ARA Internet
S6NRA Apps

My timeframes:
ordered 6 December 2013 (UK), build 15 March 2014 (USA), delivered 10 April (UK), collection on 28 April (UK), registered 2 May (Luxembourg)

and couple of quick pics:

on its "ferry-way" towards the Continent:

One intial remark though: the kids are so thrilled about the 3rd row seat that putting them back into their proper: second row will become a challenge now... Groceries might actually end up sitting on the rear-comfort seat rather than in the trunk... World's turning upside-down!

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Nice!!! does the US version have the weather forecasting...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Your dates are interesting: "ordered 6 December 2013 (UK), build 15 March 2014 (USA), delivered 10 April (UK), collection on 28 April (UK)"

Could you have collected shortly after the 10th April? that would mean 1 month from build to delivery in the UK - I hope mine comes that quickly!
      05-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

I need to change my order to include the fine ale, anybody know the code number for that. Cute kids by the way Luxembourg. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

Dżizas, piękny, no piękny. Gratulacje!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
efb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 BlueTEC

May I ask why did you placed the order in the UK ? I didn't know it was possible to order a LHD car in the UK
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Nice!!! does the US version have the weather forecasting...
Yes, it's in ConnectedDrive menu > BMW Online.

@ OP - beautiful car. Happy Birthday .

Last edited by opasha; 05-08-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Congrats! Picked ours up 2 days before my birthday, nice treat!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Lots of nice pic's esp. cute toddlers in BMW car seats.
You are happy it was birthday, so happy belated. I see the front qtr/panels have no reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Congratulations and happy birthday!
      05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
ZuerstBMW
ˇViva Espańa!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

NICE. Happy Birthday!!!
I picked mine up at the Performance Center last Monday and love it.
      05-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Happy Birthday!!!
Enjoy the ride and sounds like it was personally built for you.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Shorty Shorty
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 e70 soon to be F15

Hiya.

Nice car...

Just one question, how do you get the lap timer and G force to appear on your display? Was it an added paid for extra or part of a standard package?

Cheers

SS
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007

Luxembourg - congrats on the car. great pics and cute kids.

Could you please tell me which car seats you've got there? Are they the OEM BMW ones? Also do they fit fine in the third row?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Congrats on your newest birthday gift! Looks like you had a nice and long journey home.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Thanks guys for all those kind words!! I will post post some replies to your queries shortly
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
Could you have collected shortly after the 10th April? that would mean 1 month from build to delivery in the UK - I hope mine comes that quickly!
I was contacted by dealer on the 9th evening announcing car's arrival on UK soil. Then they issued the final invoice and I had to make the bank transfer. And they said they needed 5 days to prepare papers, VAT procedures, and register the car in the UK in my name - after the reception of the funds on their account. With the Easter break and some of days off and people away I picked only 28th to collect the car to be sure to let them have enough time. But if my transfer was in on Friday the 11th I could probably collect even before Easter: the following Friday the 18th. So, if they tell you that car is in, I believe you can collect it in no later than 5 days realistically.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
Could you please tell me which car seats you've got there? Are they the OEM BMW ones? Also do they fit fine in the third row?
Yes, these are OEM BMW seats (called: "BMW Junior Seat I-II"). In fact, they're very clever ones welcoming kids between 9 and 25 kg (9 months -> 7 years!) which makes them quite economical and one-shot, long-run purchase. Usually, I keep them attached by ISOFIX on the rear seat but they also fit into 3rd row with no problem at all (but there's no ISOFIX back there...) My kids are 3 and 5 and they have more than enough space around them, also for their legs while buckled-in those in 3rd row.
Here's some more info: http://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-junior-...ne-isofix.html
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxembourg View Post
I was contacted by dealer on the 9th evening announcing car's arrival on UK soil. Then they issued the final invoice and I had to make the bank transfer. And they said they needed 5 days to prepare papers, VAT procedures, and register the car in the UK in my name - after the reception of the funds on their account. With the Easter break and some of days off and people away I picked only 28th to collect the car to be sure to let them have enough time. But if my transfer was in on Friday the 11th I could probably collect even before Easter: the following Friday the 18th. So, if they tell you that car is in, I believe you can collect it in no later than 5 days realistically.
That's great thanks my dealer has just confirmed that I could collect within a week...hope you're enjoying your X5!
      05-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Shorty View Post
Just one question, how do you get the lap timer and G force to appear on your display? Was it an added paid for extra or part of a standard package?
You need to download this free app called "BMW M Laptimer" from the AppStore separately for your smartphone, but once you launch the Connected Drive app on the phone and in the iDrive - you can find it listed there. And it works from there. here are couple of Appstore screenshots:

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #21
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb View Post
May I ask why did you placed the order in the UK ? I didn't know it was possible to order a LHD car in the UK
This is a bit longer story.... Each European country has its differences in pricing due to different VAT (value added tax), some have diverse additional taxes, each country’s distributor also negotiates different pricing and base equipment levels with producers. It all results in two options: you either go to your closest dealer and get your car “the easy way” (as I've always done before), or if you want to save some money - you need to do some research, mailing, calling around, comparing, configuring and in the end - a little trip to a country where your desired car may be cheaper. Some differences across EU are not so important, while other (like with premium brands) could reach to thousands of $$$ difference.

And as it could change throughout the year, so one must check offers around when placing an order. For the moment, for example if you want to buy a VW there's no cheaper country in Europe than Poland. It's due to the VW very aggressive pricing in Poland, hence even my German and Belgian friends from the office order their VWs in Poland once they see the $$$ difference on paper

On the other hand, Audi and BMW are cheapest in the UK for now if you cross-compare, and it's due to the high basic equipment standard in UK + the discounts they can offer. This time around, I researched for weeks before ordering and based on some good experience of couple of friends who did it before me (mostly ordered their Audis A6, Q5, and BMW F10 and F25 in UK), I tried this path. I compared with my local Luxembourg's dealer, I went couple of km just across the border to see what Belgians, Dutch, French and Germans offered. Then I also checked in Poland. None of those countries came nowhere close to what UK currently offers. In the end I saved a bit over 11K EUR (about 15K USD) comparing the exact same configurations with the best negotiated discounts in Luxembourg (58K EUR) Vs. UK (47K EUR, given mine exchange rate GBP/EUR at 0,87). German dealer in Trier was even more expensive than Luxembourgish one..(2K EUR I think).. And I found that money well enough to make a little trip to a lovely country where people tend to drive on the other side of the road...
Then, a ferry back home for 50GBP, 50EUR for registration costs in Luxembourg + 50 for personalized licence plates, and then only 191 EUR yearly road tax (thank God for those 164g/km!)

And what's good about BMW in UK, they actually don't charge anything extra for LHD (Audi adds 500 GBP for that), you simply need to specify in your order whichever side of the steer do you prefer

The trip was a real treat and pleasure, incl. some London-sightseeing, good British ale-drinking, Cod-from-Dover tasting; and the guys at ISSD BMW (International, Diplomatic, Military and NATO sales) are absolutely fantastic: professional, helpful, well-informed, matching well their German counterparts in terms of the know-how the products they sell.

(Gosh, I should get some commission from these guys for all that free-marketing, shouldn't I????? )
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #22
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Great PICs. Thanks for sharing. Just ordered Glacier Silver last week. Now the wait begins. How do you like the drive and handling so far?
Appreciate 0