BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2021, 03:13 AM   #1
M3Char
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Issue with my 2015 40E Misfire?

Morning all,

I could really do with some advice please.

I've had a on going issue with the car for a few months which happens when accelerating or sitting at a speed on the motorway it almost judders/slips for 10secs and then drives normal again. Almost feels like the clutch is slipping but revs are fine. Been doing research but can't find nothing apart from transfer case. All tyres are standard I'll get the sizes and input shortly.

I did change sparks to see if this helped but remained the same and 2 coils (annoyingly aftermarket)

But the main issue I've had yesterday was driving on motorway felt the car juddering like a misfire. Get to traffic and it started shaking bad. Pulled over to check coils etc typical one of the coils once I removed the rubber boot stayed behind !! Managed to replace this after several hours as it was the rear cylinder. I got a light on dash "Drivetrain" as I was moving the car off my dad's drive before I swapped over the coil. After it was changed I plugged it into my laptop and got this (hopefully attached)

So thought let's check the coil etc and guess what !!! The new coil boot got stuck again. So got the old OEM coil I kept and replaced with this now. So all OE coils. Quick diagnostic and it came back with cylinder 1 spark not firing the same. Needed to get car home so now it's misfiring !! Got home replaced the spark with the OE spark and still the car is juddering.

Sorry for the long essay, hopefully someone can advice me with any information or just to try something.

Appreciate it alot guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
M3Char
Rep

Any advise at all guys
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

I haven't had anything like that on my 40e but from your error message and spark plugs/coils issue; my guess is that it's still spark plug/coil issue. What are your spark plugs gapped at? How many miles? What year (you mention 2015 but first year was 2016)? Have you replaced any of your 12v batteries? It seems that when they start to die, we get other issues - at least try a battery tender.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
M3Char
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
I haven't had anything like that on my 40e but from your error message and spark plugs/coils issue; my guess is that it's still spark plug/coil issue. What are your spark plugs gapped at? How many miles? What year (you mention 2015 but first year was 2016)? Have you replaced any of your 12v batteries? It seems that when they start to die, we get other issues - at least try a battery tender.
Thanks for replying mate,

So coils have all been replaced with the originals which didnt have any issues before i changed 2 of them with them 2 dreadful Eurocarparts ones.

Today i bought all new BMW sparks from BMW using my reg (unsure what the gap is) and still no joy constant judder but somewhat driveable like before.

I did last night change over a spark on cylinder 3, and charge the car just incase.
I had a nightmare onway into work as soon as the engine kicked in extreme judder so had to pull over and plugged it in to find cylinder 3 is now a issue. Changed over the spark again and it went back to the driveable conditions.

Car is registered in Oct 2015 (65 Plate)

To be fair i haven't changed any batteries, i did have a code on the diagnostic
2228C8 Starter Battery
- Additional Battery Aged-

So could well be, thank you again ill get the batteries checked.

Ive also booked it into BMW on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
M3Char
Rep

Any 40E drivers on here, how many miles are you getting from a full charge.

Mine seems to be only 17miles on the dash/app ! defo seems like i need to replace a battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Char View Post
Any 40E drivers on here, how many miles are you getting from a full charge.

Mine seems to be only 17miles on the dash/app ! defo seems like i need to replace a battery.
I get 15-16, pretty typical. 17 is pretty good! I'm not sure if changing either 12v battery will help with getting more mileage out of the hybrid battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Char View Post
Ive also booked it into BMW on Wednesday.
Definitely let us know what they say!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
M3Char
Rep

Absolute joke!!!! They not only didn't fix my car they damaged it, charged me £600 which didn't resolve anything and also didn't refit the fuse panel in the boot.

I'm literally shocked a main dealer done this.

So I dropped car off and got a call several hours later on Tuesday, the guy said they've located the fault to be injector 3 and will cost £630 including the diagnostic. (Alot but I need car and happy to get it working again). I agree to go ahead with the work. I then get a voicemail later on in the day stating the car is running ok but they would like to update the software which should make it better but wouldnt be ready until Thursday. I say no problem take aslong as you need.

Voicemail on Thursday saying car is all done and ready to be collcted but I couldn't make it so I'll get it Friday (today) I'm working alone today and in a mad rush. Pay the £630 expecting all to be ok as again main dealer and no issues mentioned. The guy brings the car round hands me the key and goes "did anyone mention to you it's still running rough " I'm shocked. Again I'm rushing. I assumed as he is jusy the adviser he wouldn't know the cars condition so in my eyes it's running 90% better, he then goes the technician said it might be the timing belt and I should get this checked !! So I'm confused was this not the reason I brought my car to you to have whatever the issue was resolved !

Get in the car, they've charged the battery. Rushing to work I literally get near work then the engine kicks in and straight away notice the car is EXACTLY the same as before I brought it to them ! Get on the phone straight away nice lady says oh why did they not fix it and give it back to you then
God knows. Can you come back today or Tuesday to speak to the adviser. Going to have to be Tuesday I said annoyed. I've been able to now have some time to have a look over the car and omg !!! Exactly in the same spot on both drivers and passenger door I now have some horrible gauges, a ding and scratch !!!!! I no my car and I have 2 marks on it. 1 at the rear and a small trolley ding all at the rear.

So yeah I have a worse condition car, £600 down for nothing & damaged doors. Bare in mind it's been driveable before going BMW I get 10mins from home and my car messes up judders like crazy, error messages. So now I'm broken down on the motorway ! Luckily I charged the battery and was able to get home.

I'm now going to contact them on Tuesday, I want them to collect the car, fix the car and doors !!! And this time I want a courtesy car minimum.

Sorry for the essay but I am so shocked. Hoping they can redeem themselves so it doesn't have to go further. I'll attached some pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3Char; 08-28-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
M3Char
Rep

First time using ISTA I got the attached error codes
after running the misfire detection check. stating 1 & 3 injector needs changing now 😑
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #10
spawnywhippet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5e. 2014 i3 REX

Same issue on my 2016 xDrive40e with 50k miles. Did you find out the root cause?
      01-31-2023, 03:38 PM   #11
chrislu8899@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e

Issue with my 2015 40E Misfire?

Got a 2016 X5 40E with less then 50K (already low milage)
misfire issue with diagnostic pointed to one of cylinder wall damaged and need whole new engine replacement. this is very shocking / surprising as the mileage on this car (in gas mode) would be low given it's hybrid and driven mainly local within the 17 mile electric range
Appreciate 0