Night Vision retrofit?

Anyone done Night Vision retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

I don't believe so. The topic was brought up about a year ago, and from what I remember it was going cost far more than the factory option price tag. Off the top of my head, it would require a different headlight switch, front grille, thermal camera, corresponding for lights and coding. I'm sure there are a couple more parts but from what I have seen on eBay and on the classifieds - the camera alone will run you $1k for a used one. Oh and of course a shit ton of coding.

That being said - I have always wanted to do it with all the deer I have around my neck of the woods. So I will keep an eye on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_v_o_1 View Post
I don't believe so. The topic was brought up about a year ago, and from what I remember it was going cost far more than the factory option price tag. Off the top of my head, it would require a different headlight switch, front grille, thermal camera, corresponding for lights and coding. I'm sure there are a couple more parts but from what I have seen on eBay and on the classifieds - the camera alone will run you $1k for a used one. Oh and of course a shit ton of coding.

That being said - I have always wanted to do it with all the deer I have around my neck of the woods. So I will keep an eye on this thread.
You're right, sounds like an involved proposition, although I just saw a brand new OEM night vision camera for $540 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Night-Vi...-/302050049491

A control unit for it is also required and that's the more pricy part- $900 at https://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...&siteid=218365

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=66_0332

I'll wait when this feature becomes more common in the future. I don't really need it, just thought it's a nice feature to have.

Last edited by musa; 07-18-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #4
Stamps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85

Anyone thought about this recently or have successfully retrofitted?

New (to me) F85 arriving in the next week and my partner is not going to let me performance mod the SAV (she’ll be surprised with the stock power as it is), but I need to satisfy my urge to tinker. NiVi retro seems like the most practical project.

(Did I just revive a thread from the dead? Sure, but I’m making spaghetti tonight for supper. Go ahead and throw those tomatoes 🍅… At least I searched!)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I have an X5 diesel with factory night vision - I installed the targeted illumination spotlights which use the night vision system to guide the spotlights...it works well. My point is that in the process of doing that install, I came across a very helpful member in the regular X5 forum who did exactly what you're thinking (adding NV) quite successfully.

Search the regular X5 forum for my post regarding installing Targeted Illumination - his posts (Volc) are there providing some coding help and mentioning that he installed the NV from a donor vehicle.

Best of luck - cool system!
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      01-23-2023, 11:37 PM   #6
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
I have an X5 diesel with factory night vision - I installed the targeted illumination spotlights which use the night vision system to guide the spotlights...it works well. My point is that in the process of doing that install, I came across a very helpful member in the regular X5 forum who did exactly what you're thinking (adding NV) quite successfully.

Search the regular X5 forum for my post regarding installing Targeted Illumination - his posts (Volc) are there providing some coding help and mentioning that he installed the NV from a donor vehicle.

Best of luck - cool system!
Awesome, found the post. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1893913
Appreciate 0