BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
amber-katie
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

the best alternatives to YouTube..Any??

I want to try out something different given that i am sought of bored with Youtube plus, sometimes the connections are lagging, often hanging at 10% for some reason, and the commercials "ugh" at this point are getting...well a little bit too much

An open-source alternative with minimalistic interface (skiping all the clutter in the UI that youtube has added lately), focusing on what youtube did good at one point in time: for finding short, fun clips would be great! I have heard of a couple but would love recommendations of maybe something that someone has tested out before?
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

The only real competition is Vimeo, but Youtube is still king on the hill by a big margin.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber-katie View Post
I want to try out something different given that i am sought of bored with Youtube plus, sometimes the connections are lagging, often hanging at 10% for some reason, and the commercials "ugh" at this point are getting...well a little bit too much

An open-source alternative with minimalistic interface (skiping all the clutter in the UI that youtube has added lately), focusing on what youtube did good at one point in time: for finding short, fun clips would be great! I have heard of a couple but would love recommendations of maybe something that someone has tested out before?
I have Zero commercials on Youtube with *uBlock*

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I have Zero commercials on Youtube with *uBlock*
Since most ads are skippable these days I don't have a problem with them.
I also always watch at least 30s or the whole video if its shorter if its on a channel I like to support the author.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
xhamster?
Appreciate 2
#Tee557.00
      06-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Youtube RED. Currently free for the summer: https://www.youtube.com/red
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
amber-katie
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
The only real competition is Vimeo, but Youtube is still king on the hill by a big margin.
I agree that Youtube is without a doubt the leading network of videos but it also has competitors who are putting every possible effort to takeover this giant video watching site. Glad that you mentioned Vimeo which i recently learned tends to focus more on quality and less on quantity. Over the weekend i was familiarizing myself with what exactly is reliable out there. Apparently one of the newcomers getting press is dailymotion, which is quite influential in the social space at the moment with a lot of sharing going on. In the case that you may find it interesting...i came across a detailed comparison article https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide...-best-portals/ of other reliable options out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
...competitors who are putting every possible effort to takeover this giant video watching site...
"Takeover"
      06-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I agree that Youtube is without a doubt the leading network of videos but it also has competitors who are putting every possible effort to takeover this giant video watching site. Glad that you mentioned Vimeo which i recently learned tends to focus more on quality and less on quantity. Over the weekend i was familiarizing myself with what exactly is reliable out there. Apparently one of the newcomers getting press is dailymotion, which is quite influential in the social space at the moment with a lot of sharing going on. In the case that you may find it interesting...i came across a detailed comparison article https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide...-best-portals/ of other reliable options out there.
Dailymotion is an ad infested dump compared to Youtube and Vimeo, YT might have a lot of ads if you ask people but they are basically all skippable these days and are nicely integrated compared to DM that has banners high and low autoplaying outside of the video windows.

Daily Motion is mainly short clips uploaded to be shared on social media, and most clips originated from Youtube to begin with . Not much original content at all in comparison to Youtube and Vimeo.

So stick to Youtube for time wasting and add Vimeo if you want to see more original content from video makers or motion graphic etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
johuyana
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 Sp 2.3

try vimeo, it is good.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #11
adolfneedham
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Vimeo and Dailymotion are the best alternatives of youtube.
Appreciate 0