iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
A bit of an over simplification on the comparison but the X5M intake is a bit harder to put into a "box" compared to your traditional intakes. To be honest I am surprised BMC even offers a filter for the thing given its unique stock design. That said all they are doing is taking the stock filters and changing from paper to an oiled design. Dinan's filters are larger and designed differently then stock so more surface area, and thus air, can be ingested at any given time. Its still an intake for a turbo charged engine so its not making some huge change or anything but there's a bit more thought into it then just a CF lid with BMC filters. =)
do you have any data or logs for before and after comparisons?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:23 AM   #46
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
DISCLAIMER (PLEASE READ): This post is strictly intended to be a photo teaser. No details are available at this time. Don't bother asking price, availability (although I think its safe to say we can talk in terms of weeks and not months at this point), pre-order details, performance gains, or any of that type of information as it is not available.

Everyone simply keeps asking for pictures so when we got our first article in the other day I took some photos of it. Its pretty...

Enjoy!

Attachment 1445654
Attachment 1445655
Attachment 1445656
Attachment 1445657
Are you guys planning to release this anytime sooon? How about stage 2?! By the time you release it my car will be gone lol hurry up,you loosing a client
      10-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #47
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
Are you guys planning to release this anytime sooon? How about stage 2?! By the time you release it my car will be gone lol hurry up,you loosing a client
Soon, yes. Was originally intended to be released right before SEMA (first week of November) but CF manufacturing has had some production issues so it may be delayed slightly. Or we may still end up doing it then and just go to immediate backorder as demand will far outweigh what we will have ready at launch. Its not ideal either way but I would personally rather delay then have another bad backorder situation like we did with the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #48
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Soon, yes. Was originally intended to be released right before SEMA (first week of November) but CF manufacturing has had some production issues so it may be delayed slightly. Or we may still end up doing it then and just go to immediate backorder as demand will far outweigh what we will have ready at launch. Its not ideal either way but I would personally rather delay then have another bad backorder situation like we did with the exhaust.
Understood, and yes I personally know with the exhaust situation as I waited for like 6 weeks for it to arrive, I'm waiting for stage 2 and I take please let me know as soon as it's out
      11-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #49
TheQ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cars

any update on Intake? when can we also expect Stage 2?
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      11-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #50
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
CF Production is still trying to figure out a way to make it work. As is all the molds are coming out cracked. Given, they are minor and mostly superficial but still not something you want to release. First articles didn't have the issue which is the odd part...

Stage 2 is tied to the intake so until the intake is ready you wont see stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #51
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
CF Production is still trying to figure out a way to make it work. As is all the molds are coming out cracked. Given, they are minor and mostly superficial but still not something you want to release. First articles didn't have the issue which is the odd part...

Stage 2 is tied to the intake so until the intake is ready you wont see stage 2.
Genuinely appreciate the openness/dialogue. It's quite interesting to get some insight into the process and makes clear Dinan's commitment to quality.

Any thoughts to just making it out of plastic? I don't really spend a lot of time driving around with my hood up. Would rather something slightly less expensive (and available).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #52
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

Good suggestion Round Down, some people think Carbon Fibre is over rated, especially under the hood. Plastic/less expesive and available is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #53
TheQ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes I don't think any of us care if its made out of CF.....maybe make a version out of plastic and more expensive one down the road out of CF?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #54
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Another here that has been waiting. Plastic option would be great!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #55
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I too think a plastic version would be a great option. Have both to satisfy everyone.

Alan
      11-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #56
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Don't care about the Carbon Fiber here. I'd be more interested in a plastic version and would buy today if available.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #57
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I'm holding out for the pressure drop data on the stock vs new lid/filters. If the stock lid/filters don't have any PD, then it will be an appearance mod. I've dyno'd bigger filters on other combos that made zero extra HP because the existing filter had zero PD.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #58
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes I don't think any of us care if its made out of CF.....maybe make a version out of plastic and more expensive one down the road out of CF?
the CF composition will give a audible difference in addition to the increased air flow. if the box is all plastic very little of the intake will be heard. i would prefer a little more grunt that you would get with the cf box.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #59
TheQ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I'm holding out for the pressure drop data on the stock vs new lid/filters. If the stock lid/filters don't have any PD, then it will be an appearance mod. I've dyno'd bigger filters on other combos that made zero extra HP because the existing filter had zero PD.
More air only works if you add more gas.....you need a chip/fuel mapping to get real more HP.....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #60
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

You will only increase airflow if the stock system is creating a pressure drop.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #61
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

By the time DINAN will move with their "releases" I think most of us will be in another vehicle lol it's insane how much money they potentially can be making if they didn't go so much for cosmetics and more for performance and price reduction, DINAN listen to your customers and make a plastic mold. You guys came in with the right price on your exhaust system and you orders were backed for months! Didn't you learn the lesson yet?!
      11-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #62
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Quote:
Quote:

Can't wait for this to come out! Any other plans on modifications for the X platform? I assume by stage 2 you are referring to a tune? I'm looking into upgraded turbos soon but unfortunately wouldn't be able to go the Dinan route "hint hint..."
      11-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #63
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Can't wait for this to come out! Any other plans on modifications for the X platform? I assume by stage 2 you are referring to a tune? I'm looking into upgraded turbos soon but unfortunately wouldn't be able to go the Dinan route "hint hint..."
Intake and stage 2 is where we would end on tuning for the platform. Upgraded turbos on the S63TU are a slippery slope that we have no intention of going down the path for again. We experimented with the F10 M5 but every improvement needed another modification to make it work seamlessly and it ultimately led to a very pricey motor rebuild that very few would ever be willing to undertake.

Quote:
By the time DINAN will move with their "releases" I think most of us will be in another vehicle lol it's insane how much money they potentially can be making if they didn't go so much for cosmetics and more for performance and price reduction, DINAN listen to your customers and make a plastic mold. You guys came in with the right price on your exhaust system and you orders were backed for months! Didn't you learn the lesson yet?!
I believe we are listening to the customers in the fact that we are even releasing an intake for the platform.

In terms of going plastic instead of CF I can certainly pass it along but my understanding (not my forte or department in the least) is that injection molded plastic molds are actually more expensive to produce by quite a fair margin. While the end product is cheaper to make and you can make them in great quantity the up-front cost is huge. Whereas with CF the upfront cost is significantly less but the per piece cost is higher and the production rate is low. Given the X5M/X6M market where it is not exactly a 335i market, in terms of units, recouping injection molded plastic costs in a mold is not very likely. Simply aren't enough of them on the road, and be tuned to boot.

Again, this is how I understand it so I may be way off base.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #64
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
By the time DINAN will move with their "releases" I think most of us will be in another vehicle
hahaha... true for me.
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      11-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #65
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Intake and stage 2 is where we would end on tuning for the platform. Upgraded turbos on the S63TU are a slippery slope that we have no intention of going down the path for again. We experimented with the F10 M5 but every improvement needed another modification to make it work seamlessly and it ultimately led to a very pricey motor rebuild that very few would ever be willing to undertake.

Quote:
I believe we are listening to the customers in the fact that we are even releasing an intake for the platform.

In terms of going plastic instead of CF I can certainly pass it along but my understanding (not my forte or department in the least) is that injection molded plastic molds are actually more expensive to produce by quite a fair margin. While the end product is cheaper to make and you can make them in great quantity the up-front cost is huge. Whereas with CF the upfront cost is significantly less but the per piece cost is higher and the production rate is low. Given the X5M/X6M market where it is not exactly a 335i market, in terms of units, recouping injection molded plastic costs in a mold is not very likely. Simply aren't enough of them on the road, and be tuned to boot.

Again, this is how I understand it so I may be way off base.
Good info- thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #66
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Well let's see, 2015 passed, 2016 passed, 2017 models are out, again by the time you will have your molds figured out and all most of us will be in a 2019 x5m or somewhere else, hell with it I can have a local guy computer scan the engine bay and make custom carbon fiber intake for it! But all jokes aside DINAN should of been on top of the game way before this, I guess things did change since Steve left and we can see it first hand