Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Ride quality

Hi all,

I dropped my car off for service and picked up a new luxury line X5 as a loaner and I noticed ride quality of the loaner is significantly better than mine.
Mine is M-sports (without suspension upgrade) with 20" rims on DWS, and the loaner had regular luxury line wheels with not much options ticked in and no it didn't have DHD option.

That 20min drive from the dealer to my office, it blew my mind how comfy X5 could be. I never thought my car was uncomfortable, but it never felt soothing and always thought road noise was quite excessive. But this stripped version of loaner X5 was totally different car.... it was quiet, silky smooth on rough pavements.

Is it a rim size or tire or both?
I love my car but I would appreciate it more if it was quieter and smoother.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

I test drive 2 F15's. One with 20" and one with 19". Drive was totally different in 20s. Noisy etc. went with the 19" car with M sport package. Very happy. Just looking to upgrade to 21s for summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
paul325740
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 and 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Hi all,

I dropped my car off for service and picked up a new luxury line X5 as a loaner and I noticed ride quality of the loaner is significantly better than mine.
Mine is M-sports (without suspension upgrade) with 20" rims on DWS, and the loaner had regular luxury line wheels with not much options ticked in and no it didn't have DHD option.

That 20min drive from the dealer to my office, it blew my mind how comfy X5 could be. I never thought my car was uncomfortable, but it never felt soothing and always thought road noise was quite excessive. But this stripped version of loaner X5 was totally different car.... it was quiet, silky smooth on rough pavements.

you're not alone! I have the same thing. Got a X5 loaner car 3 weeks ago, no option or M-sport at all but drive and handling better than my fully loaded M-sport with air-suspension. I did mention to master tech and he suggest to do an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
It's weird cuz I have 20" Dunlop RF and I think the ride is just fine coming from my AMG with 18" super sports. Had it just over 2 weeks.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325740 View Post
you're not alone! I have the same thing. Got a X5 loaner car 3 weeks ago, no option or M-sport at all but drive and handling better than my fully loaded M-sport with air-suspension. I did mention to master tech and he suggest to do an alignment.
I hear ya. I'm slightly convinced to get rid of 20" for 19" to live a smoother life.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

interesting, I had my 2016 MSport (20" w/DWS) serviced yesterday and I also had a "plain" X5 as a loaner. I thought the ride was much better in mine, I was attributing it to the DWS vs. RFT phenomenon.

different responses for different people, that's why there is variety of choice
      07-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

Had a loaner for a day a couple of weeks back when mine was in for the MPPK tune. It was definitely smoother and quieter compared to the 20s with run-flats I have. The standard suspension seemed to be less bouncy as well compared to the Adaptive M suspension.

However, the main thing I really liked about the loaner was the steering feel in comfort mode, it felt tighter and not as loose. I read somewhere this was caused by the Adaptive M suspension option.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Umm soft all season cushy tires will always be more comfortable than a sportier lower profile tires.
      07-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
sigx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlu88 View Post
Had a loaner for a day a couple of weeks back when mine was in for the MPPK tune. It was definitely smoother and quieter compared to the 20s with run-flats I have. The standard suspension seemed to be less bouncy as well compared to the Adaptive M suspension.

However, the main thing I really liked about the loaner was the steering feel in comfort mode, it felt tighter and not as loose. I read somewhere this was caused by the Adaptive M suspension option.
I hear you ... my wife complains her new X6 20" is not smooth and quiet
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Umm soft all season cushy tires will always be more comfortable than a sportier lower profile tires.
I can attest to this 100%. This morning I was on 18" RFT, dropped her off at the shop and picked her up this afternoon with 20" staggered Continental DWS's.

Some observations:

1. BIG difference in ride quality. I get way more road 'feel'. My butt definitely notices the same road bumps and cracks from this morning a lot more.
2. Steering feel is SO much better. Less "spongy" in Comfort mode. Closer to my F10 and I love it.
3. Car stops a lot better with the same brakes.
Definitely down to the brand new DWS's
4. More creaks can be heard over the same neighborhood roads. I suspect this is due to the firming up of the ride.
5. Noticeable increase in road noise from inside the cabin. It's not night and day but I'm OCD and I can tell.

Ultimately, just comes down to preference. I wanted the look and I got it and mostly positive changes imho.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
sigx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
I can attest to this 100%. This morning I was on 18" RFT, dropped her off at the shop and picked her up this afternoon with 20" staggered Continental DWS's.

Some observations:

1. BIG difference in ride quality. I get way more road 'feel'. My butt definitely notices the same road bumps and cracks from this morning a lot more.
2. Steering feel is SO much better. Less "spongy" in Comfort mode. Closer to my F10 and I love it.
4. More creaks can be heard over the same neighborhood roads. I suspect this is due to the firming up of the ride.
5. Noticeable increase in road noise from inside the cabin. It's not night and day but I'm OCD and I can tell.

Ultimately, just comes down to preference. I wanted the look and I got it and mostly positive changes imho.
How about if we get rid of run flat tires
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx5 View Post
Quote:

Some observations:

Ahmen!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:

I had the same experience when I had a 17 loaner a couple months back. the comfort setting with the base suspension had less bounce compared to my m adaptive with the 20in 469s in comfort mode. The steering is definitely much looser with the M suspension vs comfort with the base suspension. I found that kinda odd..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some observations:

Ahmen!!!
+1
      07-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #15
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

i've had 20" dunlop runflats and the ride was very rough, especially when cold. now with dws 06 tires, the ride is very similar to oem 19" runflat tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #16
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
I hear you ... my wife complains her new X6 20" is not smooth and quiet
The ride I personally still find comfortable as I'm coming from an S4 with modified suspension. However, I think even the road noise will get annoying after a while during highway driving but luckily (or unluckily) I drive on congested NYC streets lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
I had the same experience when I had a 17 loaner a couple months back. the comfort setting with the base suspension had less bounce compared to my m adaptive with the 20in 469s in comfort mode. The steering is definitely much looser with the M suspension vs comfort with the base suspension. I found that kinda odd..
Find it to be very disappointing, steering feels like a Lexus in comfort. Glad sport code is good at least lol

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

20's will cause all sorts of ride quality issues.
      07-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
The ride I personally still find comfortable as I'm coming from an S4 with modified suspension. However, I think even the road noise will get annoying after a while during highway driving but luckily (or unluckily) I drive on congested NYC streets lol

Find it to be very disappointing, steering feels like a Lexus in comfort. Glad sport code is good at least lol
yup, I always have my settings on sport mode, chassis only.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Sport mode chassis only with DHP! I like power train but it's only useful on a switchback I feel like. That is if you find your self with too much gas and need to drain it. Lol but it is very responsive. Perhaps too responsive. I would have like to see a bit more custom options in each mode.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I prefer riding on 20" than the 18".
It's more planted and sportier. It also handles significantly better.
      07-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You mean the good kind
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I prefer riding on 20" than the 18".
It's more planted and sportier. It also handles significantly better.
Quote:
You mean the good kind
well, you know what I mean.

If you want your $70k luxury SUV to absorb all the bumps, then you go with 18s with donut tires.

But I agree, the BMW staggered 20 inch setup is a fantastic handling experience for the car. I know, b/c I have it on my X5. P1et

But not everyone buys an X5 and want good handling.