BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Flyer1234
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

20" wheels NON staggered OK?

For X5-35i, can 20" wheels be set up as NON staggered? I just noticed the 20" wheels from BMW are sold as staggered set up. The reason I asked is because that way I can rotate my tires for longer lasting.

Thanx for your advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO1234 View Post
For X5-35i, can 20" wheels be set up as NON staggered? I just noticed the 20" wheels from BMW are sold as staggered set up. The reason I asked is because that way I can rotate my tires for longer lasting.

Thanx for your advice.
Absolutely. I'm running 22x10 non-staggered with no issues. They just do this for an aggressive stance, which people like with larger wheels. You won't have to worry so much about understeer either.
      12-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Flyer1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Absolutely. I'm running 22x10 non-staggered with no issues. They just do this for an aggressive stance, which people like with larger wheels. You won't have to worry so much about understeer either.
Thank you Opasha. I spoke to a couple of local tires shops. They said "you shouldn't be running all 4 tires in that width because it is too wide for an X5". Do they know what they are talking about? Based on all the info I read on this forum, their comment doesn't sound right??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Opasha. I spoke to a couple of local tires shops. They said "you shouldn't be running all 4 tires in that width because it is too wide for an X5". Do they know what they are talking about? Based on all the info I read on this forum, their comment doesn't sound right??
No offense to them, but they're very wrong. As long as you have the factory diameter you are good. @cy07 and @r33 are running 22x10.5 front and 22x12 rear just fine (these are the max you can do on front and rear). My wheels have done great since I bought my car in April 2014. Factory comes with 20x10, 20x11 for staggered setup...I'd love to see your local tire shops argue with worldwide engineers of the top SUV brands in the world, lol. Local tire shops also don't know much about the newest vehicles/technologies esp with programming; all franchise shops aside from BMW and the coding community here have no clue and have outdated OBD2 progammers that won't work on resetting your CELs etc.
      12-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Do you think that they thought that you wanted to use 12s all around instead of 10s? 12s all around would be stupid, but 10s(ish) should be ok. That's the width that's used on some 19s isn't it? Most are 19x8ish, but I've seen 19x10.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@GO1234, @opasha is right.
As long as you are in the same overall diamater as the stock wheel, you are good.
Just make sure you don't get a badly made cast wheel as it is most likely weigh more than the stock wheel. Doing so, it will wears out the wheel bearing prematurely.
You can always go oversize also, no one will stop you to go oversize. The thing is, your wheel rotation speed will be off than the instrument cluster speed reading.
Example: If your instrument cluster shows that your current speed is 30mph, the actual speed is higher due to the bigger overall diameter than stock.
Also, if the sensory of the car very sensitive, it will cause an error message. I saw it happened on Ferrari and Lamborghini where some of the car have smaller diameter wheel on the front.
In our case on the X-series. It may trigger an error during the AWD power distribution. But, so far in @opasha's case, he won't have that issue since his tires is just a tad bigger than the stock.
The advantage of going staggered, you have better rear traction and road surface covered.
In most case, like mine, since I have the sDrive version, it will give me some oversteer (which I like, so I can push the car into the corner faster ). Also, it looks nice from the behind.
But, don't get me wrong, most of the street car alignment setup is to give you an understeer. Believe it or not, most drivers are safer with understeer than oversteer.
And since we have a very smart car, you will not feel the understeer or oversteer anymore, unless if you turned off the DSC.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
Flyer1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@GO1234, @opasha is right.
As long as you are in the same overall diamater as the stock wheel, you are good.
Just make sure you don't get a badly made cast wheel as it is most likely weigh more than the stock wheel. Doing so, it will wears out the wheel bearing prematurely.
You can always go oversize also, no one will stop you to go oversize. The thing is, your wheel rotation speed will be off than the instrument cluster speed reading.
Example: If your instrument cluster shows that your current speed is 30mph, the actual speed is higher due to the bigger overall diameter than stock.
Also, if the sensory of the car very sensitive, it will cause an error message. I saw it happened on Ferrari and Lamborghini where some of the car have smaller diameter wheel on the front.
In our case on the X-series. It may trigger an error during the AWD power distribution. But, so far in @opasha's case, he won't have that issue since his tires is just a tad bigger than the stock.
The advantage of going staggered, you have better rear traction and road surface covered.
In most case, like mine, since I have the sDrive version, it will give me some oversteer (which I like, so I can push the car into the corner faster ). Also, it looks nice from the behind.
But, don't get me wrong, most of the street car alignment setup is to give you an understeer. Believe it or not, most drivers are safer with understeer than oversteer.
And since we have a very smart car, you will not feel the understeer or oversteer anymore, unless if you turned off the DSC.
Thank you R33 and Opasha for the explanation.

I haven't put in my order yet as I am still reading and learning all the options from this forum. I was debating between 19" and 20" wheels but since I am in Hong Kong and there is no snow here, I am inclined to go with the 20"s after seeing all the pictures with the 20's. They certainly look substantially better than the 19s. Opasha did suggest the 449 when I was considering the 19s.

I have a 2-year old so car seat will be installed. Some people told me 20" will be too bumpy for a child to ride in. I honestly don't know the answer as I have never driven a car with 20"s.

Unfortunately, upgrading the wheels to 451 (my favourite among all the X5 wheels) is extremely expensive here. It is close to USD 10,000. I kid you not. Therefore I am sourcing 20" wheels from local wheels shop.

You mentioned in one of your threads that Forgestar are better wheels? We do have Forgestar wheels available here. Is Forgetstar highly recommended as a replica wheels for the F15?

The Forgestar F14 has
20 x 9
20 x 9.5
20 x 10
20 x 10.5.

Which one should I get if I am to have a NON-staggered set up?

Thanx for all the support from you all.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you R33 and Opasha for the explanation.

I haven't put in my order yet as I am still reading and learning all the options from this forum. I was debating between 19" and 20" wheels but since I am in Hong Kong and there is no snow here, I am inclined to go with the 20"s after seeing all the pictures with the 20's. They certainly look substantially better than the 19s. Opasha did suggest the 449 when I was considering the 19s.

I have a 2-year old so car seat will be installed. Some people told me 20" will be too bumpy for a child to ride in. I honestly don't know the answer as I have never driven a car with 20"s.

Unfortunately, upgrading the wheels to 451 (my favourite among all the X5 wheels) is extremely expensive here. It is close to USD 10,000. I kid you not. Therefore I am sourcing 20" wheels from local wheels shop.

You mentioned in one of your threads that Forgestar are better wheels? We do have Forgestar wheels available here. Is Forgetstar highly recommended as a replica wheels for the F15?

The Forgestar F14 has
20 x 9
20 x 9.5
20 x 10
20 x 10.5.

Which one should I get if I am to have a NON-staggered set up?

Thanx for all the support from you all.
If you do the thicker tread, go for 20x10. 20x10.5 will give definite rub.
      12-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@GO1234,
I forget to mentioned that 20" will not give you a rough ride. The RFT does. So, my suggestion, order the car without RFT if you can. If you can't, then just get the tire replaced to a non RFT once you get the car.
If you want the Forgestar or even OEM wheels, I can ship them to you.
Forgestar is close enough to the OEM quality.
The advantage to custom wheel, you can get the offset the way you wanted to avoid the use of a spacer and get the wheels to sit nicely by the fender.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Flyer1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@GO1234,
I forget to mentioned that 20" will not give you a rough ride. The RFT does. So, my suggestion, order the car without RFT if you can. If you can't, then just get the tire replaced to a non RFT once you get the car.
If you want the Forgestar or even OEM wheels, I can ship them to you.
Forgestar is close enough to the OEM quality.
The advantage to custom wheel, you can get the offset the way you wanted to avoid the use of a spacer and get the wheels to sit nicely by the fender.
Thanx R33.

1. Pls PM me your price on Forgestar F14 20x10 and the BMW 451 wheels.
2. I don't know how much is shipping to Hong Kong though.
3. 275/40 R20 tire size would be fine for the 20 x 10 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@GO1234, PM me or email me your details in Hongkong.
I'll try to get it done tomorrow.
275/40-20 is the stock size for the 20x10 stock wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@GO1234, pm'ed you the detail.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

I'm also looking into a non-staggered 20x11 setup with the 451's. One question in mind is if there will be any inner rubbing in the front at full lock. I'm thinking of running 275 squared as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post
I'm also looking into a non-staggered 20x11 setup with the 451's. One question in mind is if there will be any inner rubbing in the front at full lock. I'm thinking of running 275 squared as well.
Based on my math, 20x11 +37 (stock spec) should be do-able.
Tire wise, it will looks a little funny with 275 though. Because 20x11 with 315 already looks perfect. Going down 40mm on the width, just won't looks right.
You can do it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #15
nitemare
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 535, E39 530, F15 soon

Sorry for the old thread bump but thought this might be a good place.

I'm looking at purchasing an F15 MSport in the next few months. 1st thing will be wheels/tires and Eibach spring kit. Mainly wanting a white X5 and believe a bronze style wheel looks best on a white vehicle.

That being said I'm looking at doing a non-staggered setup Verde V99 Bronze in a 20x10.5". They have two different offsets to choose from in the 10.5": +27 or +42.

Looking at stock front wheels coming in at 20x10 +40 275/40 I don't think (could be wrong) the +27 Verdes will fit with a 295/35 or 305/35. Maybe I should opt for the +42 all around and just get a 5mm or 10mm spacer in the front?

Rear would more than likely take a 15mm spacer....possibly even a 20mm.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0