BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, i'll use the same route as @mysticblue explanation, except I use one of the cigarette plug on the behind of center console. I don't use the Powermagic thing, because I've read somewhere that it may damage the SD card.
I'll take some pictures next week and explain the whole thing.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, i'll use the same route as @mysticblue explanation, except I use one of the cigarette plug on the behind of center console. I don't use the Powermagic thing, because I've read somewhere that it may damage the SD card.
I'll take some pictures next week and explain the whole thing.
Awesome, Ben. Thank you!

@MysticBlue, thank you for that detailed info, buddy. Much appreciated.
      11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Can you show us how you routed to the back? Did you go under the carpet through center or just by the doors? My dashcam uses a standard Mini-USB so it would be very easy for me to find some 20-25 ft USB cable and use that instead of supplied one, although it came with a 10 or 15ft cable already.

I tried to find a piggyback on Amazon but this is what I found: http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HH...dp/B000GKEXK2/ I assume this doesn't match our F15's, right? Can you share which one you bought so it will make it easier for rest of us who needs to wire a cam. Also it sounds like you need a secondary back-up power to avoid draining the battery. Which fuse did you wire to? I would like to wire it to switched power instead of always on if possible. I'll let the dashcam battery handle the motion and G-sensing portion.
This is the kind of piggyback adapter I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26156...f14=108&ff19=0

For the passenger footwell fusebox you need a mini one as it only contains mini blade fuses, the rear fusebox has both normal size and mini blade fuses in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Can anyone recommend a switched power circuit in the front fusebox? I'm getting ready to install my Laser Interceptor and am planning where to get power from. I already have my V1 tapped in to the rear view mirror circuit, so I'm looking for a different power source.
      12-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #27
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Can anyone recommend a switched power circuit in the front fusebox? I'm getting ready to install my Laser Interceptor and am planning where to get power from. I already have my V1 tapped in to the rear view mirror circuit, so I'm looking for a different power source.
I hope this helps : https://copy.com/QcFNJVJ33dbk78Sz. It's the front fuse and relay module info that I put in a PDF. I also added where power is drawn from each location in the car in a screenshot.
      12-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #28
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I hope this helps : https://copy.com/QcFNJVJ33dbk78Sz. It's the front fuse and relay module info that I put in a PDF. I also added where power is drawn from each location in the car in a screenshot.
Was really more interested in knowing which actual fuse/mini-fuse will power down when the car is turned off rather than with a several minute delay. I'll post whatever I figure out later this week hopefully.
      12-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK, so I found out that fuse #42 (for the UGDO and PDC) in the front fusebox is switched power and shuts down immediately when you turn the car off.
      12-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #30
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Useful info, thanks man. Where do you find it all?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK, so I found out that fuse #42 (for the UGDO and PDC) in the front fusebox is switched power and shuts down immediately when you turn the car off.
Where do BMW hide that fusebox, I've found the BDC fusebox containing fuses 1 thru 14 behind the side panel in the passenger footwell on a RHD F15 but I'd much prefer to run my camera from a switched supply rather than a permanent one as my F15 complains about excessive battery drain if I don't drive it for a day and leave the camera connected.

Last edited by NPickles; 12-09-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good deal, thanks for the info .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Useful info, thanks man. Where do you find it all?
Rheingold ISTA/D .
      12-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #33
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where do BMW hide that fusebox, I've found the BDC fusebox containing fuses 1 thru 14 behind the side panel in the passenger footwell on a RHD F15 but I'd much prefer to run my camera from a switched supply rather than a permanent one as my F15 complains about excessive battery drain if I don't drive it for a day and leave the camera connected.
If you look in the cargo compartment fusebox, there is a card folded and tucked into the side of the box that contains the locations, numbers, and what each fuse supplies. In the diagrams I noticed that if you have right hand drive, the front fusebox is in a different location from our North America fusebox. Ours is easily accessible by removing a cover under the glove compartment. I guess since your steering column would be there, they had to move the fusebox to the side under the carpeting.
      12-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you look in the cargo compartment fusebox, there is a card folded and tucked into the side of the box that contains the locations, numbers, and what each fuse supplies. In the diagrams I noticed that if you have right hand drive, the front fusebox is in a different location from our North America fusebox. Ours is easily accessible by removing a cover under the glove compartment. I guess since your steering column would be there, they had to move the fusebox to the side under the carpeting.
Having looked at the card it appears to indicate two fuse boxes at the front, plus there are two different diagrams. The one in the passenger footwell that moves between LHD & RHD models only contains fuses 1 thru 14, there is another fuse box indicated in a static position which could be under the dash on the drivers side in a RHD but having had a good root around I can't see it. I haven't looked under the drivers side carpet yet, that'll be my next place to look.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Interestingly, this thread lacks pictures that it desperately needs.
I am only saying this because I have been dying to get one of those piggy backs that @NPickles linked so I can wire my dashcam to it (if I can't get power from behind the mirror.. that reminds me, I have to visit that thread to see what happened there..)
      12-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #36
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly, this thread lacks pictures that it desperately needs.
I am only saying this because I have been dying to get one of those piggy backs that @NPickles linked so I can wire my dashcam to it (if I can't get power from behind the mirror.. that reminds me, I have to visit that thread to see what happened there..)
Here's a couple of pictures. If you look under the glovebox, you'll see this plastic panel with three thumbscrews. It's the panel with the light for the floorboards. Twist them 90 degrees CCW and they come loose.

Disconnect the cable that goes to the light by pulling the connector straight out. Then look up and you'll see the fusebox. You can see my piggyback fusetap in the picture.
      12-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #37
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good deal, thanks for the info .

Rheingold ISTA/D .
@opasha, does that system only include references for LHD vehicles as you are in the US or does it include RHD ones too?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's a couple of pictures. If you look under the glovebox, you'll see this plastic panel with three thumbscrews. It's the panel with the light for the floorboards. Twist them 90 degrees CCW and they come loose.

Disconnect the cable that goes to the light by pulling the connector straight out. Then look up and you'll see the fusebox. You can see my piggyback fusetap in the picture.

Thanks, I just opened that area (was so glad that it didn't use screws like the panel on E70) to run my dashcam behind the center console and out into the ciglighter port.

Where did you place your interceptor? Somewhere up high or by the center console? Just curious because I wanted to know how you ran the wire.

Also, I am very interested to hear about your rearview tap, you are strictly getting power from there, right? Nothing else? I know there are some couplers back there, but I am not comfortable splicing into the existing wires, if there was an easy way to just add a piggyback just like fuse box that would be great. I am trying to do this because I am worried that my current cord might interfere with side airbags since I am going around the A pillar to go down.
      12-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I just opened that area (was so glad that it didn't use screws like the panel on E70) to run my dashcam behind the center console and out into the ciglighter port.

Where did you place your interceptor? Somewhere up high or by the center console? Just curious because I wanted to know how you ran the wire.

Also, I am very interested to hear about your rearview tap, you are strictly getting power from there, right? Nothing else? I know there are some couplers back there, but I am not comfortable splicing into the existing wires, if there was an easy way to just add a piggyback just like fuse box that would be great. I am trying to do this because I am worried that my current cord might interfere with side airbags since I am going around the A pillar to go down.
The LI is an integrated anti-laser device. The sensors/emitters are in the grill area of the front bumper. The "brain/speaker" is hidden under the dash. The only visible object is the power button. As for my radar detector, I use a Valentine 1 which is tapped into a harness connector in the rear view mirror using a "MirrorWire" from PerformancePackage.com.

If you do decide to run a wire down the A-pillar I wouldn't worry about the airbags. They'll just knock the cable out with the A-pillar cover. You might get whipped by the cable, but that's about it.
      12-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #40
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha, does that system only include references for LHD vehicles as you are in the US or does it include RHD ones too?
RHD too. It's universal.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The LI is an integrated anti-laser device. The sensors/emitters are in the grill area of the front bumper. The "brain/speaker" is hidden under the dash. The only visible object is the power button. As for my radar detector, I use a Valentine 1 which is tapped into a harness connector in the rear view mirror using a "MirrorWire" from PerformancePackage.com.

If you do decide to run a wire down the A-pillar I wouldn't worry about the airbags. They'll just knock the cable out with the A-pillar cover. You might get whipped by the cable, but that's about it.

That cord looks like just a power cord with stripped end. It's a great option if you don't want to mutilate your existing one, and of course it helps when you get an aftermarket one with correct polarity. My dashcam uses MiniUSB so I guess I can do the same with one of my old mini USB's lying around.

I am not very technical, so this may sound like a dumb question , does the voltage supplied by this fuse & fusetap same as the cigarette lighter port? So anything that is plugged to lighter port can be stripped to bare wires and tapped to same switched fuse regardless of the amp it draws?
      05-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #42
Zhifucomm
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 (F15)

Thanks for this wonderful thread. Mine is also RHD. After struggling in finding the front fuse box (I even opened the area for the BDC unit on the left side), this thread helped me find my front fuse box finally, though it's not as easy as the LHD model because I had to use both T20 and T25 screw drivers to remove the bottom cover under the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #43
Zhifucomm
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 (F15)

Quote:
Here are some pictures for uncovering the right hand drive model's front fuse box. This thread did help me locating it - not easy as it needs to remove three T25 screws under the steering wheel plastic cover (not the twisted plastic buttons under the glove box on the left hand drive model).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #44
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally, someone found the other front fusebox in the RHD model.

Why is it BMW makes it so hard for us RH drivers compared to the LH drivers in the US
Appreciate 0