BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

To Those Who HAve Issues With Headlights

Maybe there might be an issue with our headlights. According to a report, most headlights are barely acceptable with BMW 2-3 being only marginal.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ed-improvement
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

the comical thing is that US/DOT laws prohibit better lighting because of antiquated laws but inferior lighting is completely satisfactory. most halogen headlights are over-driven once you go faster than 40mph. ridiculous. i have always swapped out to e-code (euro spec headlights) on nearly every vehicle i owned except for this one since it has LED Adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

I bet those BMW 2-3 series have the cheap basic halogens not the upgraded xenons or LEDs! But yes it's time they change the outdated regulations and allow for modern lighting that the Europeans get to enjoy
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

If you look at the vehicles, there are some with HID and LED that are only marginal and a few MB's with HID that are rated poor. Somehow I think that the OEM's care mostly about "looks" rather than performance. The have a minimum performance level and I think that's their primary goal.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I think the article does mention that the 2/3 series lights are the base halogens.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I don't have issues with my LED headlights. They seem great.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I think the article does mention that the 2/3 series lights are the base halogens.
The IIHS article presents test data for several lighting options offered by BMW in the cars tested. However, it is the lowest rated BMW halogens that have been featured in the soundbite for the national news coverage.

In the 3 series the LED headlights with automatic switching to high beams were rated marginal. The LED headlights without automatic switching and the halogen headlights were both rated poor.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-4-door-sedan

In the 2 series the HID (Xenon) headlights with automatic switching to high beams were rated marginal. The HID headlights without automatic switching and the halogen headlights (with and without automatic switching) were both rated poor.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-2-door-coupe

The performance of the HID headlights with and without automatic switching is the same in the IIHS tests. Presumably a driver could activate high beams when it is safe to do so as efficiently as the automatic system. However, the IIHS article states for HID headlamps with automatic switching: "High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway and on both left curves." This apparently justifies the higher "marginal" rating for the HID headlamps when equipped with automatic switching. I have reservations with regard to this methodology.

The performance of the LED headlights appears different with and without automatic switching in the IIHS tests. The article states for the LED headlights with automatic switching: "High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves."

Last edited by MichiganMike; 03-31-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Perhaps they should test a BMW with the glare-free LED system.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i am sure the tone of the article was to find unsatisfactory results on standard option headlights otherwise it would not get talked about. there are many things the piece should touch on such as antiquated dot laws prohibiting better lighting options, maintenance of headlight bulbs and weathered/worn headlight lenses or even worse touching on the subject of the morons who put HID kits in non-projector headlights blinding on-coming traffic and in most cases reducing lumens and light output to achieve a certain color but again i don't think the point of the article was to go that deep just get clicks and create buzz on the news for a short period of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Granted the law are antiquated and need revision, but these are still new vehicles out these that meet the requirements. I remember a post here maybe a year ago that I couldn't find that was done in Europe for LED lights with European standards and the BMW was marginal there also. I have LED lights on my vehicle and agree that they "look" cool but their performance is not quite on par with my previous HID's except for the highs which perform great.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

that is my point. they meet the minimal requirements but newer better technology is not legal here because of the outdated laws. secondly the halogen lights found on some of the luxury brands are used as base or standard option to make the msrp more attractive to someone shopping a non-luxury brand that may have more options or better features. so you have many parties at fault here. the manufacturer for building for the lowest possible cost and just meeting bare minimum requirements and the the regulatory board that creates the bare minimum standards and doesn't allow the newer tech to be offered because of the outdated laws. audi and bmw wanted to offer laser headlight and tail lights back in 2012 but US/NAR regulations didn't allow for it despite both marques submitting substantial documentation that these headlights are better than other options available at that time.

in any event, i am more concerned with the issues i mentioned above about hid kits and older bulbs that no longer put out their original light output. many people overlook headlight maintenance and wipers which are very important from a safety standpoint IMO but again that wasn't the point of the article.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
that is my point. they meet the minimal requirements but newer better technology is not legal here because of the outdated laws. secondly the halogen lights found on some of the luxury brands are used as base or standard option to make the msrp more attractive to someone shopping a non-luxury brand that may have more options or better features. so you have many parties at fault here. the manufacturer for building for the lowest possible cost and just meeting bare minimum requirements and the the regulatory board that creates the bare minimum standards and doesn't allow the newer tech to be offered because of the outdated laws. audi and bmw wanted to offer laser headlight and tail lights back in 2012 but US/NAR regulations didn't allow for it despite both marques submitting substantial documentation that these headlights are better than other options available at that time.

in any event, i am more concerned with the issues i mentioned above about hid kits and older bulbs that no longer put out their original light output. many people overlook headlight maintenance and wipers which are very important from a safety standpoint IMO but again that wasn't the point of the article.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

I picked my X5 up yesterday with the adaptive LED option installed.

Took it for a spin last night to try out the lights and I didn't get one car flash me for not dipping. The lights were switching in and out far quicker than I could do it manually. I would say that they are far safer now, as it is impossible to dazzle an oncoming driver. I'm not sure why you guys over the pond are prohibitted from using them. You are stuck in the dark ages! (not literally, quite!).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Those new Toyota Corolla's have some annoyingly bright led headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
So I just bought my son an M235 xDrive loaded with the High Beam assist option (hopefully coming soon). If I'm reading this correctly the lighting sucks?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

"sucks" compared to what? a 3series with halogens or chrysler cordoba or a lighthouse?
Appreciate 0