06-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I don't have a shot of the rears but the size difference is equally as much as the fronts. The calipers looks the same but those are bigger too.
was there an issue with the rear rotors bolting up? i have read on some threads that the hole for the set screw does not line up if you try to install x5m drilled rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #46
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ that is correct. I only went F85 rotors up front and kept the rotors that came with the MPBK. For the F85 rear rotors you need to have a new hole drilled for it to work.

Up front the F85 rotors needs a new screw to bolt the rotor to the hub. The stock screw off my F15 didn't work for the F85. Its a $5 part so simple fix.

Alan
      06-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #47
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

^^ I'll be doing the same as Alan. The kit and F85 rotors have arrived at my local dealer, just need to head down and pick them up. I opted for the lower dust Carbotech pads, dealing with Mike down there was a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #48
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Smart having it shipped to the dealer. I had my MPBK shipped to my aunts house and I was surprised that it came on a wood pallet in a box that was over 150lbs. It was a fun morning heading over there before work dismantling the box one by one because there was no other way of me getting it all into the house and i couldn't leave it sitting in the driveway like that.
      06-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #49
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
^^ that is correct. I only went F85 rotors up front and kept the rotors that came with the MPBK. For the F85 rear rotors you need to have a new hole drilled for it to work.

Up front the F85 rotors needs a new screw to bolt the rotor to the hub. The stock screw off my F15 didn't work for the F85. Its a $5 part so simple fix.

Alan
the different rotors create a different brake bias and affect ability to brake as designed. have you had issue with abs or any thing else? i have eight rotors sitting in my garage and curious how will mount the x5m rears without creating issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #50
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

From my understanding the only performance difference between the rear rotors is the ability to dissipate heat better due to the cross drilled design. I wouldn't expect any other difference. Dimension wise they are exact. I didn't have any issues running my setup at all. Once coded they feel absolutely amazing.

Alan
      06-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #51
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

what if one does not use the set screw? will there be issues once bolted up with calipers and wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #52
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

From what my mechanic told me it doesn't matter if I use the screw or not since the wheels/lug bolts are basically locking the rotor in place anyway. Not sure if the same applies to the rear since the handbrake mechanism is in there.
      06-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #53
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast
what if one does not use the set screw? will there be issues once bolted up with calipers and wheels?
It is fine. Just make sure you turned off e-brake during the whole wheel installation all the way to torquing it down, so the e-brake system doesn't interfere with the correct wheel lug bolt torque spec.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #54
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #55
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I'll be installing my setup (mirrors Allan's - except I opted for Carbotech pads) over the next few weeks, just trying to carve out the time. I'll post up my feedback once I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #56
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Quote:
For those interested in coding your F15 for larger brakes...here is the instructions I followed. Huge thanks to Shawnsheridan for figuring out the code for the F15 being SBRE. For the F30 its SPBR.

This is how you code for Big brake kits for the car. This is REQUIRED or you will have mushy brakes after installing the brakes. Got this from another thread....

=> Connect
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA
=> Editors and viewers
=> FA-editor
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type SBRE under the HO-Wort file
=> Select the FA, "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SBRE.
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SBRE be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
=> Disconnect the car's computer.
The M-Performance brake is now activated and enjoy the authentic experience of M Performance brake.
Can the bbk upgrade be coded via Carly or bimmercode? I don't have access to a laptop. Or if anyone is in the Pittsburgh, DC, Maryland, Virgina area... can help?
      09-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #57
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Quote:
For those interested in coding your F15 for larger brakes...here is the instructions I followed. Huge thanks to Shawnsheridan for figuring out the code for the F15 being SBRE. For the F30 its SPBR.

This is how you code for Big brake kits for the car. This is REQUIRED or you will have mushy brakes after installing the brakes. Got this from another thread....

=> Connect
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA
=> Editors and viewers
=> FA-editor
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type SBRE under the HO-Wort file
=> Select the FA, "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SBRE.
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SBRE be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
=> Disconnect the car's computer.
The M-Performance brake is now activated and enjoy the authentic experience of M Performance brake.
Can the bbk upgrade be coded via Carly or bimmercode? I don't have access to a laptop. Or if anyone is in the Pittsburgh, DC, Maryland, Virgina area... can help?
Was my question until I saw this coding line. And those smarter than me can correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure the app can only do FDL coding and this refers to FA coding. Idk what the difference is but no I think is the answer
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #58
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
^^ I'll be doing the same as Alan. The kit and F85 rotors have arrived at my local dealer, just need to head down and pick them up. I opted for the lower dust Carbotech pads, dealing with Mike down there was a breeze.
Hello, do you recall the part numbers for those Carbotech pads?
-Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #59
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Was my question until I saw this coding line. And those smarter than me can correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure the app can only do FDL coding and this refers to FA coding. Idk what the difference is but no I think is the answer
It's the same shit in the end of the day. FA just says to the software which parameters to change in the module, while with FDL coding you change those parameters manually.

Though it doesn't mean that Carly can do MPBK coding
      09-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #60
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Quote:
It's the same shit in the end of the day. FA just says to the software which parameters to change in the module, while with FDL coding you change those parameters manually.

Though it doesn't mean that Carly can do MPBK coding
Yes of course. And yes to actually do it via the apps you would need to know exactly which modules. The post above does not mention the module that is changed. Needless to say with the information given above I could not find that in the BimmerCode app
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #61
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Has anyone had a dealer code the update only, how much was it and how long did it take them?
      09-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #62
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Dealer will not do it unless hardware is present to support it however it is possible to code without the upgrade installed. It results in a minor adjustment in stiffness of the pedal but nothing worth bothering with. If you do the opposite and install and not code for the additional brake booster involvement you get a pedal that basically sinks to the floor before biting and slowing down the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #63
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Dealer will not do it unless hardware is present to support it however it is possible to code without the upgrade installed. It results in a minor adjustment in stiffness of the pedal but nothing worth bothering with. If you do the opposite and install and not code for the additional brake booster involvement you get a pedal that basically sinks to the floor before biting and slowing down the vehicle.
It's installed, brakes flushed, with new ecs steel cables (front/mid/rear).
      09-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #64
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Oh you were able to get the middle steel line in! I read that it's near impossible to get in there. Also pics!!!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #65
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh you were able to get the middle steel line in! I read that it's near impossible to get in there. Also pics!!!
Once I pick it up I will. The dealership has a flat fee, $150 for coding. It includes updates to modules and will take about an hour.
      09-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #66
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Once I pick it up I will. The dealership has a flat fee, $150 for coding. It includes updates to modules and will take about an hour.
That's not bad at all. That's about what Mercedes charged in Cali when I lived out there. A flat fee.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0