BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

vibrations? wheel balance?

i don't know if its just me but it seems as if the suspension is either very sensitive, or i have a wheel off balance, or some other issue, i have the 20" rims with conti dws06 and i feel as if the car doesn't ride smooth like almost as if the wheel isn't round or something, its hard to explain, was wondering if anyone else experienced anything like this? i should also mention i have the upgraded adaptive m suspension not the stock cause i have heard complaints about the stock
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

When did it start ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I would check yours; I once had one weight fall off and I could feel that; may be as simple as that!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i MPPK

I have stock suspension with DWS06s on style 451s and they feel great. I've heard people complaining that the DWSs are hard to balance, but I take that with a grain of salt since I know nothing about their installer. Have them rebalanced, it's a cheap and easy place to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Checked air pressure??
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep

not even sure when it started, but it seemed to just sort of start, the car only has 2500 miles on it, maybe when i put the different tires on about 1500 miles ago? ill have them rebalanced ... and yes i checked the pressure, i thought it could have been that but its good, thanks for the input guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandro13 View Post
not even sure when it started, but it seemed to just sort of start, the car only has 2500 miles on it, maybe when i put the different tires on about 1500 miles ago? ill have them rebalanced ... and yes i checked the pressure, i thought it could have been that but its good, thanks for the input guys.
IMHO it is a balance issue ( of course if faulty tire is ruled out). Not every balance machine and it operator is created equal. Many- many of them are simply bad. Machines which are not calibrated well if ever... I came to X5 from Touareg and it was a well known issue, particularly with larger tires. I balanced tires on dealer ( horrible shake), rebalanced in 2 different indie shops... Finally after 4th try shake completely gone. On wife's E90 after i switched original run flats to DWS car started to vibrate after BMW dealer balanced it. That they road force balanced it and it still was not anywhere near "good". I went to the same indie shop which did my Treg and they balanced 3 tires and road force 4th ( rubber was not perfect), and shake gone completely .
Sorry for wordy reply. Just sharing my experience.
      04-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

DWS and the newer DWS 06 are very very notorious for poor quality and being out of round from factory. I would do a HUNTER road force balancing at BMW dealer or good quality independent european dealership to make sure each rim/tire combo is below 10 lbs of road force before dynamically balancing the wheels. Anything greater than 10 lbs will be noticed as a vibration no matter how well dynamically balanced the wheel and tire are. You can look up hunter road force machine in google and see tons of feedback on why people are using these now over the standard old school balancing machines. You need to do this for low profile wheels. I never will ever mount and balance any of my new tires onto rims without road force balancing because even Michelins with tight tolerance can have a tire with 12-15 lbs road force and I would return it to tirerack and get another one below 10 lbs or I will have my mechanic try to match mount the high spot of the tire onto the low spot of the rim to make the assembly perfectly round and below 10lbs of road force so i goes down the road smoothly even when its dynamically balance with those balancing weights
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #9
msginnie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is your tire/wheel problem. If you visit auto repair and mechanical shop, mechanic dealing with this subject will add weight at strategic points and it will prevent vibration at a given RPM.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
DWS and the newer DWS 06 are very very notorious for poor quality and being out of round from factory. I would do a HUNTER road force balancing at BMW dealer or good quality independent european dealership to make sure each rim/tire combo is below 10 lbs of road force before dynamically balancing the wheels. Anything greater than 10 lbs will be noticed as a vibration no matter how well dynamically balanced the wheel and tire are. You can look up hunter road force machine in google and see tons of feedback on why people are using these now over the standard old school balancing machines. You need to do this for low profile wheels. I never will ever mount and balance any of my new tires onto rims without road force balancing because even Michelins with tight tolerance can have a tire with 12-15 lbs road force and I would return it to tirerack and get another one below 10 lbs or I will have my mechanic try to match mount the high spot of the tire onto the low spot of the rim to make the assembly perfectly round and below 10lbs of road force so i goes down the road smoothly even when its dynamically balance with those balancing weights
thank so much for the input i had it done at the dealership thinking they would know best. but perhaps thats not the case? although i am a lil confused about the specifics of road force balancing i will look up a video to see, thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

You can spin balance a wheel to perfection and you will still feel vibration if the road force is over 10 - 15 lbs. Been there , done that. The tire sidewall has areas that are stiffer than other areas. If small, the tire can be turned on the rim and matched to the rim to offset those areas and then spin balanced. Some tires have too much road force to balance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandro13 View Post
thank so much for the input i had it done at the dealership thinking they would know best. but perhaps thats not the case? although i am a lil confused about the specifics of road force balancing i will look up a video to see, thanks again!
No problem! Check out this video:

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing

In my experience BMW dealers have different mechanics and I always request the senior one that is most experienced at using the hunter road force machine and I request them to measure the runout and make sure each assembly is below 10 lbs and print out the results and give them to me. If suppose a tire cannot be matched to the rim I will request a replacement one from Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone. They all allow uniformity warranty request up to 1 year or the first 2/32inch tread depth wear which is good. Continentals tends to get plus 20 lbs road force in my experience with the DWS but their other line up tires such as the pro contacts have low road force numbers.

Be firm and direct with your BMW service guys because sometimes they oh no its fine to have plus 15 road force and you wont feel it but heck many people are sensitive and want smooth riding luxury cars and not some rough riding BMW etc and its not the characteristics of these cars. My 2015 BMW X5d with Michelin Premier LTX tires 255/50R19 all got less than 10 lbs road force and that car with the dynamic dampers and air suspension ride so glass smooth that its smoother then our Ml350 on airmatic.
Appreciate 0