BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Exhaust fluid incorrect error

Got Exhaust fluid incorrect error message. Now I have less than 190 miles remaining before no start condition. I really didn't think this was an issue f15, but i guess it is. I only used bmw def fluid.

Based on my research it could be either of following:
NOX sensor before 13628589846 - $303
Nox after 13628589844 - $303
Metering unit 18308514448 - $280
or def tank - $1400

Does anyone know if there are cheaper alternatives to above? I think nox sensors are made by continental. I have no clue where to begin. Replace parts in hope to get it fixed or just get a tune and delete it?

Somewhere, I read that I should try to drain all the def and replace it in hope it would clear the error. The worst part is, the no start error is hard coded, so it can't be erased unless all the conditions are met (issue is fixed).

Codes I got:
Fault Code: 26FD00
Fault Explanation: Reducing agent dosage, long-term adaptation:
adaptation value too high
Fault Code: 2C4E00
Fault Explanation: DeNOx system, plausibility: System error or bad reductant recognized quality
Fault Code: 29FB00
Fault Explanation: DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario:
warning level 1
Fault Code: 29FC00
Fault Explanation: DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario: warning level 2
And
FF26FD - No code description

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: So, this issue might be covered by BMW warranty. It seems that BMW guarantees some emission components for 80k miles or 8 years. Since I am under 80k, this might be covered. Hopefully it is. Otherwise, throwing parts at it it is.

Last edited by W37V; 12-11-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Further research revealed that N57 might actually have 10 year / 120k miles warranty on nox sensors
Quote:
SI B 01 19 18 (DC 11 78 90 04 00): For this vehicle, the nitrogen oxide sensor(s) limited
warranty for defects in materials or workmanship has been extended to 10 year/120,000 mile
as determined from the original in-service date. This coverage is subject to the same vehicle
eligibility requirements, limitations, and exclusions that apply to the BMW New Vehicle
Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53683-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Going to dealership was waste of time and money. $200 later, all they did was tell me that I might have incorrect fluid (mine apparently have too much water in it). They can't go forward with testing unless they replace the fluid for the cost of $800. I told them I'll pass. All parts that might need to be replaced cost $900.

So, now instead of fixing this stupid thing, I will most likely get a tune and just delete it. The bad thing, is I have less than 150 miles before no start condition.

If anyone knows how I could reset the counter, or delete the message, please let me know.

Also, my SA told me that the linked SIB does not apply to f15. The only warranty available is for DME.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Another update: for anyone who experiences the same issue in the future.

I removed all the def from the car and refilled it with new def. Drove the car, and there was no change. Now, I am down to 80 miles before no start.

Procedure I used for draining: I drained the active tank (the one on passenger side of the car (left hand drive car)) by simply syphoning out the fluid. I used aquarium hose and pushed into the tank. Note: you will need about 3 feet of hose in the tank, so I would advise having about 6 ft of whose to begin with. Then I used shop vacuum to suck out some of the fluid. Once the fluid started coming out. I stopped the vacuum and let physics take over by simply allowing the syphon effect take over. I left it syphon overnight and got about 2+ gallons of fluid out.

For passive tank, it is super simple. Tank is located by fuel filter. You will need to remove the underbody shielding (2 left sections). After you do that, the tank will be exposed. (it's black wrapped in Styrofoam). Disconnect the hose from the bottom of the tank and let it drain. I got about 1 gallon of fluid from there.

After connecting the hose and putting panels back on, i refilled the def and went for a long drive. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. Same codes still came back. I am suspecting that it is either of following: Pre not, post nox or metering unit. The easiest thing to replace would be metering unit as it is accessible by simply taking off one panel. Replacement of other nox sensors is more involved.
Appreciate 4
      12-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Another update:
So, i reached out to two tuners to get an idea about tunes and what they can do: Malone and Stage FP (Bob from BPC). Malone never responded, even after reaching out to them twice.

Stage FP responded almost immediately. It was rather refreshing and unexpected to communicate with a shop in such way. Phill was super helpful and went into great detail of what to expect and what are my options. In short, he advised not to get a tune to get rid of the code if I was not planning on deleting SCR. Explanation was that leaving SCR in place, but disabling DEF and EGR, would cause SCR to clog up and cause even more issues. Deletion of cats is out of question for now, cuz I don't want the car to stink.

So... I downloaded ista+ and tried to reset the code by telling the car that def was changed. Ista instructed that the car needs to go to sleep, code would disappear and to drive the car for 1 hour. This morning code was still present, so I don't know why it didn't take. I am still planning on swapping out nox sensors. Screw it. It's potentially $650 down the drain, but at least I should have a piece of mind knowing that sensors are good. The only other thing that would be left to be replaced would be metering unit. Fingers crossed. I will keep this thread updates just for future reference if anyone else experiences this.

After further reading a potential cause of this issue could be actually bad DEF (even thou I used BMW adblue). DEF has limited shelf life. Always check the expiry date before using it. Even if DEF is sitting in the tank of your car, it can still go bad. Once it goes bad (ratio is off), it will wreck havoc on senors.

On the separate note: if you are planning on getting a tune, go with Stage FP. Phill was top notch. Tunes are developed by Bob, who build most (if not all) BPC tunes that made them famous.
Appreciate 4
      12-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Assuming it's the same as in E70, the metering unit is rather easy to access - well, you'll have to crawl under the vehicle, but you seem to be accustomed to it already , - I'd have it removed and tested first. Sometimes it just gets clogged and a simple cleaning suffices.

Re DEF having a shelf live and going bad - it's a theory that resurfaces once in a while, but I always doubted it. BMW themselves removed the tanks flushing from the required maintenance, and what about all those commercial stations with big tanks, who knows what's the turnaround cycle in those. So, yeah, it can go bad, but it's a matter of a very looooooong time/abnormally extreme conditions.

Last edited by smyles; 12-18-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Another update:
TLDR: Error is gone

I need to use the car this morning and since it was 20 degrees I left it running to warm up. After driving about 15 miles, the error is gone, but the check engine light is on. I haven't had a chance to scan the car and clear codes, but I am truly hoping that error stays off and this is not just temporary (4 drive cycle measuring). Worst case, I will be replacing the nox sensors. Best case... error stays off and I save $600.

Update on tunes topic: Malone did reach back to me. Offered their tune stage 1 tune for their current sales price ($650 + $250 to "delete" DEF ). Not too bad, but Stage FP, DUMDD are cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

And final update - fingers crossed.

I did several drive cycles and error still didn't come back. It does seems like the issue was caused by bad ad blue fluid and replacing it fixed it. If I waste $200 diagnostic fee for the dealership, the fix would've cost me $25.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Update: error is back

After almost 2000 miles, the error is back. So, now I will most likely just replace sensors.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #10
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Assuming it's the same as in E70, the metering unit is rather easy to access - well, you'll have to crawl under the vehicle, but you seem to be accustomed to it already , - I'd have it removed and tested first. Sometimes it just gets clogged and a simple cleaning suffices.
I should've done this when I swapped out def first time around.

Today, I changed both nox sensors. I also removed my metering unit. That sucker was clogged. I tried cleaning it as much as possible; however, I think I will need to buy a new one after all. Unfortunately, I am unable to find aftermarket unit for f cars (one that fits x5). It seems like the only option is dealership provided part ~$300. Ouch! But, once metering unit is replaced, everything related to def (other than tank) should be new.

I just need to figure out how the heck did I reset the code last time. I am totally drawing a blank on what the heck I did. If anyone has any suggestions on how to reset the error (i think i told the car that I changed the def), please let me know.

I might post DIY on replacing the nox sensors. Front one is PITA, but I figured out some shortcuts.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Theoretically you can test it by supplying 12V and water under pressure - in the end it's just an electro-mechanical valve.

Rheingold/ISTA or Carly to reset errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Theoretically you can test it by supplying 12V and water under pressure - in the end it's just an electro-mechanical valve.

Rheingold/ISTA or Carly to reset errors.
ISTA is the only way to address this issue. Carly / Bimmerlink do not have such capabilities.

I found the setting that I was looking for in ISTA:
Vehicle Management -> Service Functions -> SCR Systems -> SCR adjustments and adaptations -> (click display) -> (on the next screen - "procedures") click what you want to reset (adblue) -> click that you want to reset adaptations by selecting 1
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Well... after replacing both nox sensors and resetting adaptations the error is gone.

The weird part was: when I did the 50 min emissions components test, ISTA told me that my front NOX sensor (brand new one that I just installed), was faulty. However, the error still disappeared. There are no current codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Well... after replacing both nox sensors and resetting adaptations the error is gone.

The weird part was: when I did the 50 min emissions components test, ISTA told me that my front NOX sensor (brand new one that I just installed), was faulty. However, the error still disappeared. There are no current codes.
Did you run tests on ISTA before you changed NOX sensor, clear codes, shut down and replace it? Codes from previous errors remain after a replacement, but on a test scan would show as "not present." At that point, you can clear codes and then see what comes up so you know what you may (or may not) still have to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
Did you run tests on ISTA before you changed NOX sensor, clear codes, shut down and replace it? Codes from previous errors remain after a replacement, but on a test scan would show as "not present." At that point, you can clear codes and then see what comes up so you know what you may (or may not) still have to deal with.
I run the test after i replaced the sensor. However, I don't think the car had time to go to sleep / apply reset request prior to me running the test.

So, it may've been an old code.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
Exdirectory
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Hi W37V,
Just had my X5 2014 F15 come up with the AdBlue system fault, i tried an OBD reader which gave me 2C3000, it also would not clear.

I am not a mechanic but know my way around a computer, I was tempted to get the ISTA+ software and run a test plan and get some more codes before returning to the main dealer / local garage.

I fear from your thread this could be expensive!

I think I found thew two diagrams with the NOX sensor and SCR metering unit

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...73#18308514448

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...38#13628576471

Do you think it is worthwhile doing the ISTA+ test plan?

BMW main dealer have said they would need to do this before they would work on the car! That is £162.

Last edited by Exdirectory; 12-01-2020 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #17
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdirectory View Post
Hi W37V,
Just had my X5 2014 F15 come up with the AdBlue system fault, i tried an OBD reader which gave me 2C3000, it also would not clear.

I am not a mechanic but know my way around a computer, I was tempted to get the ISTA+ software and run a test plan and get some more codes before returning to the main dealer / local garage.

I fear from your thread this could be expensive!

I think I found thew two diagrams with the NOX sensor and SCR metering unit

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...73#18308514448

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...38#13628576471

Do you think it is worthwhile doing the ISTA+ test plan?

BMW main dealer have said they would need to do this before they would work on the car! That is £162.
There was another thread from another UK user who experienced the same issue. From my understanding, in UK your car will continue to run and you will not have countdown error. So, you don't have to worry too much about running out of miles before your car becomes a brick.

With that said, you can download ISTA+. You will need a cable (very cheap), so if you have a comp you can use, the whole setup should cost you less than $20. I would recommend running a test. It doesn't hurt. It will pinpoint where the error lies.

However, I must warn you... if you take your car to the dealership, they have to follow the procedure:
1. Test DEF (AdBlue) - this test will most likely show that you have "excess" water in the system and will require you to flush the system before they can proceed. BMW wanted to charge me over $800 for it, but you can do it yourself for less than $5 (get some hose). However, bad def is unlikely.
2. Once they perform #1, they will run the test you mentioned. Test last ~1 hour and tests various sensors which will likely pinpoint where the issue is. However, this is just rough estimate as to where to go next. So, the test might say that your nox sensor is bad, but in reality it could be your metering unit.

My advice - if you want, perform the test. However, your issue is most likely the front Nox sensor. Unfortunately, I was not able to find an aftermarket alternative, so you will need to get one from BMW. Nox sensor costs about $300, so you paying diagnostic fee will cost you as much as the part itself that you will most likely need to get anyways. I would just clean the metering unit and swap out the front nox sensor. To be on the safe side, you can flush your adblue (def). None of this is difficult. It will take you longer to remove all the plastic bits than to actually swap out the sensor and empty the def tank.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
Exdirectory
Rep

That is super helpful, thanks. I managed to find an independent bmw dealer who seemed a bit more reasonable on costs and they said with an hours diagnostics they should know the issue (£80). I think they will flush the system anyway. They will work on the car for an hour and then report back before continuing, seems fair so will give them a shot. If it looks like going to be expensive I will just pull the plug and do what you say, but hopefully by then I should know which part I need.

I may just get the ISTA+ anyway for future use.

I also looked in to and adblue delete, like you, not super comfortable with this idea as not sure what the long term effect might be on the DPF. If I can get it working again without silly money and still own the car in 3-4 years and it goes again I might be more inclined then!

I will report back what they find.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdirectory View Post
That is super helpful, thanks. I managed to find an independent bmw dealer who seemed a bit more reasonable on costs and they said with an hours diagnostics they should know the issue (£80). I think they will flush the system anyway. They will work on the car for an hour and then report back before continuing, seems fair so will give them a shot. If it looks like going to be expensive I will just pull the plug and do what you say, but hopefully by then I should know which part I need.

I may just get the ISTA+ anyway for future use.

I also looked in to and adblue delete, like you, not super comfortable with this idea as not sure what the long term effect might be on the DPF. If I can get it working again without silly money and still own the car in 3-4 years and it goes again I might be more inclined then!

I will report back what they find.
Good luck. You should download it anyways. It's good to have. You can also get a dongle for your phone and get an app bimmerlink. It allows you to read BMW specific codes etc. There are other similar apps out there (Carly is highly recommended as well), but this one works fine.

BTW. Here is the thread I mentioned earlier. In his case it turned out to be a metering unit and not NOX sensor.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1453022

TBH, there are 4 things that could be wrong with emissions: 2 nox sensors, bad adblue, or metering unit. So, don't be afraid of it.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #20
Exdirectory
Rep

Indy came good, called me up a bit earlier, £468 all inclusive for:

1 hour diag and test plan (using ISTA I assume)
Worked out it was SCR with clogged up urea crystals
Replace SCR metering unit
12 new litres of ad-blue

Since probably not enough adblue has been getting in they are going to force a DPF regen too for my drive home, which is about 40 mins on a motorway.

Super pleased with that given the stories on adblue.

I didn't get around to doing ISTA but will get it anyway for next time.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #21
bcromwell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60

So I have run in to the same issue, Replaced both nox sensors, completed the scr metering test, reset adaptations and completed the 1 hour src test. Everthing seems to pass but I still get the the warning message that I have 157 miles left before the engine will not start. Is this normal and I just need to start driving or am I still missing something?
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #22
bcromwell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60

Replying with my own answer, Yes, you have to drive at least 20 miles at 50-60 mph, shutdown warning message will go away pretty much as soon as you hit the 21 mile mark.
Appreciate 1