BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #23
Bottled
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcromwell View Post
So I have run in to the same issue, Replaced both nox sensors, completed the scr metering test, reset adaptations and completed the 1 hour src test. Everthing seems to pass but I still get the the warning message that I have 157 miles left before the engine will not start. Is this normal and I just need to start driving or am I still missing something?
In ista is written that you have to test drive after adaptations reset. The scr hour test is useless as well without the post reset test drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #24
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I went through this nightmare with my 2014 535d. I was on a road trip and decided just to drive back to the dealer and went passed the no start. Ended up having to replace the DDE. What I discovered is that the dealer can expand the fluid sensor parameters to increase the range of DEF sensitivity. They did this and replaced the NoX and cleaned out the system: 20,000 miles later no more issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #25
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
I went through this nightmare with my 2014 535d. I was on a road trip and decided just to drive back to the dealer and went passed the no start. Ended up having to replace the DDE. What I discovered is that the dealer can expand the fluid sensor parameters to increase the range of DEF sensitivity. They did this and replaced the NoX and cleaned out the system: 20,000 miles later no more issues.
It's really odd that they would replace DDE. If DDE failed, sure. If they tried to reset (extend) the mileage and failed to ratify the error, maybe. To my knowledge, system allows range extension without fixing the error once. If you don't fix it within newly allotted mileage, you might need to overwrite or replace DDE. But to just replace it, seems off. While researching my issues, I did not come across anyone mentioning DDE replacement. You seem to be the first one.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
It's really odd that they would replace DDE. If DDE failed, sure. If they tried to reset (extend) the mileage and failed to ratify the error, maybe. To my knowledge, system allows range extension without fixing the error once. If you don't fix it within newly allotted mileage, you might need to overwrite or replace DDE. But to just replace it, seems off. While researching my issues, I did not come across anyone mentioning DDE replacement. You seem to be the first one.
Believe me I was very upset that the dealer could not remedy, the German engineers they worked with and everyone else at BMW of SF. Ultimately it took replacing the DDE to get the car to even start. I had issues with the warning before that time and in for two service visits. The cost was thousands of dollars to get the car up and running again, but no issues since in the last 30k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #27
dwgx3d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3d

Incorrect DEF fluid

I was getting a P203E error code which is Active SCR tank erratic level sensor.
I emptied tank and filled with distilled water and left it in for 3 weeks. Today I got the incorrect DEF fluid, 200 miles until no engine start. The CEL did go away and I have the message but I think it took care of the P203E error. Replacing that tank is expensive. It took 3 weeks to get this message and the NOX sensor were correct in saying not proper amount of NH3. On a 2015 X3d it is so easy to get to the primary SCR tank. One screw on the bottom and one screw on the wheel well liner and take out 2 to the pop in buttons and you can get to the filler tube for the SCR primary tank.
I will check to see if a local BMW service person can reset that code. I have fresh DEF platinum fluid.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #28
tsykal78
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Another update:
So, i reached out to two tuners to get an idea about tunes and what they can do: Malone and Stage FP (Bob from BPC). Malone never responded, even after reaching out to them twice.

Stage FP responded almost immediately. It was rather refreshing and unexpected to communicate with a shop in such way. Phill was super helpful and went into great detail of what to expect and what are my options. In short, he advised not to get a tune to get rid of the code if I was not planning on deleting SCR. Explanation was that leaving SCR in place, but disabling DEF and EGR, would cause SCR to clog up and cause even more issues. Deletion of cats is out of question for now, cuz I don't want the car to stink.

So... I downloaded ista+ and tried to reset the code by telling the car that def was changed. Ista instructed that the car needs to go to sleep, code would disappear and to drive the car for 1 hour. This morning code was still present, so I don't know why it didn't take. I am still planning on swapping out nox sensors. Screw it. It's potentially $650 down the drain, but at least I should have a piece of mind knowing that sensors are good. The only other thing that would be left to be replaced would be metering unit. Fingers crossed. I will keep this thread updates just for future reference if anyone else experiences this.

After further reading a potential cause of this issue could be actually bad DEF (even thou I used BMW adblue). DEF has limited shelf life. Always check the expiry date before using it. Even if DEF is sitting in the tank of your car, it can still go bad. Once it goes bad (ratio is off), it will wreck havoc on senors.

On the separate note: if you are planning on getting a tune, go with Stage FP. Phill was top notch. Tunes are developed by Bob, who build most (if not all) BPC tunes that made them famous.
Should the error codes be erased before adaptations reset or after?
After reset adaptations is complete ISTA+ instruction: "After completing the service function: Switch off the ignition and allow vehicle to go to sleep", what exactly does it mean "allow vehicle to go so sleep"? How long does it have to be off?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #29
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsykal78 View Post
Should the error codes be erased before adaptations reset or after?
After reset adaptations is complete ISTA+ instruction: "After completing the service function: Switch off the ignition and allow vehicle to go to sleep", what exactly does it mean "allow vehicle to go so sleep"? How long does it have to be off?
15-20 minutes should do it.

I have a locked DDE because of this error on my E70 currently. Going to attempt to rewrite it using ISTA P or something. Fun stuff. Shut it off in the yard so now I have a 2.5 ton lawn ornament. Need to get out there and push it onto the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #30
tsykal78
Registered
Rep

2014 x5 f15

I had similar experience with the "incorrect fluid" message in my 2014 X5. Maybe someone will find my story useful in their troubleshooting experience.

All 4 codes as mentioned in the original post above were registered with 200 mile no-start countdown. The error message did not make sense at the time since AdDlue was refilled ~4 months prior to that, how could it become incorrect? But I was a lucky, because the error message disappeared in about ~120 miles of continuous drive (on the same trip).
My initial thought was maybe because my AdBlue was not fresh, and because of the higher summer temperatures it somehow deteriorated. So, when I got back home, I just added 2.5 gal of fresh fluid into passive tank and called it fixed.

In about 2 months (~5k miles) the same issue re-appeared again.

The first thing I did this time was tested the Adblue using refractometer: syphoned few drops from the active tank (using ~3 feet long, .25in dia tube). It was within the specs! I also took a sample of brand new fluid from BMW dealer - this one was actually 0.5% worse than the old one from my tank (yet both were within the spec).

Some forums suggested dirty NOX sensors. So, I removed them to soak in Lucas Injector Cleaner. Although the sensors did not look that dirty.

Also, removed the SCR metering unit, it had small amount of white deposits on the nozzle (i wish I took a picture of it), but it was not that bad either. I cleaned it with water and re-installed everything back.

Went for test drive about ~40 miles. The countdown still there, but now I got two more codes related to upstream NOX sensor: 2A7C00 and 26ED00. It could be that the cleaning mess-up the sensors, not sure...

Then I decided to get ISTA+. Took me few days to set it up and figure it out.
I was surprised to see that the first thing in this scenario the dealer mechanic is instructed to test the fluid using the same refractometer (not just blindly replace it and flush the system as mentioned by some) . So, this test is all about the correct ratio. Now, the deteriorated fluid theory in my case was less likely.

Using the ISTA+ software, I was able to test SCR metering unit, the spray looked good, and the amounts were within 24ml (+-20%).

ISTA+ also has a procedure to test the NOX sensors by idling the engine ~10min in higher RPM. Both NOX sensors registered values (~64ppm & ~57ppm). I still don’t know if these values are ok. I don’t know what “offset value” or “Limit value” is, which is supposed to be 4 and ~30ppm according to the ISTA instructions. But at least the sensors were not dead.

At the end I reset the adaptations and let the “vehicle to go to sleep” (still not sure what that means). Started the engine the same problem still there.
Then I went to erase all the error codes and reset the adaptations again. Turned off the ignition for few hours to let it “sleep”. Then started the engine, the check engine light was off, but the countdown was still on, and only 1 or 2 of the old codes were still present.

Then I remembered that BMW performed some recall work on my SCR a while ago, and they send me some follow-up letters. To my own embarrassment one of those letters stated that my NOX sensors had extended warranty to 8 years/120k miles.
So, now I decided it’s time to surrender to the local dealer. Who knows, maybe they will replace the sensors it would fix the problem. Plus, I had not too many miles left on the countdown for farther testing.

On my way to the dealer, I took highway route, at exactly 21st mile of continuous drive the countdown disappears!

So, now I am not sure what to do. Maybe the metering unit nozzle was the reason, and my first test drive did not do it because I did not have ISTA to reset adaptations. Or, maybe I should get the NOX sensors replaced while still on warranty, but how would I make the dealer do it?... to be continued.

3 months update:
When the countdown and check engine light cleared themselves after 21mile continuous driving there was still few codes left in the memory, one of them pointing to bad front NOX sensor (2C4E00, 29FB00, 29FC00, 280D00). Having the extending warranty proof in my hands I boldly took the car to the dealership, they ran their diagnostics and agreed to replace both NOX sensors. Although, it took them an extra day to reset adaptations and to ensure everything is set. Everything was covered by the warranty.
After ~3months/10k miles - no codes, no issues.

Last edited by tsykal78; 12-31-2021 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
Brent Dalton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Another data point for this thread. I live in Germany(US Military) and on our way back from a trip, my wife's X5 triggered the "Incorrect adblue, no start in 300-ish km." Drove home and the count down was at 200km remaining. Read this thread. I topped off my DEF tanks and reset the long term adaption using ISTA as described in this thread. After driving the prescribed distance, the "no start" cleared.

One note: This thread mentions driving 21 miles after the reset. ISTA says 40km(24 miles). My "no start" cleared after 40km's. I'll update here if it comes back. I do plan to pull the metering pump at some point to inspect based on the codes it was throwing. Codes below for reference.

26F500
26F600
26FD00
2C4E00
29FB00
29FC00

Last edited by Brent Dalton; 11-16-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Just my two cents after reading some of the comments on here (and no, I did not read all the comments)…

The metering unit (injector) can easily be removed and cleaned out with water (you will see the crystallized DEF just fall off). It literally takes a few minutes under the car to remove it (unless it is caked up with urea which then just grab something to give it a few short twists to release from exhaust). Then use ISTA+ to run a spray pattern test to check if it is working properly. You can even run the ticking test to see if it is activating properly without removing (even if it's clogged up, you will still hear it activating via ISTA+ which means it is working).

If you have to empty out the tank, why not remove the metering unit (injector) and drain it out carefully using an air hose adapter.

Not trying to come off as a smart ass, but ISTA+ is free. Get on the bandwagon and mess with it, get to know it, run diagnostics. Anything you need to do with ISTA+ is pretty much "Search Text.. and boom (for everything in this thread just type SCR and it'll show you everything)". You are not gonna mess anything up in your car. Any tests, it literally tells you what it will do or what you need to do on your behalf to initiate. And, if you don't feel to confident, you can always X out to cancel said test.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #33
tomtom79
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0D 2015

Have gotten this error I believe yesterday. Today there were no message and no info in chek control but engine light was on. I guess this means the error is still there but why not in check control?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #34
tcubed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Stage 2 JR, 328d Stock

BMW charging to replace NOX sensor under warranty

On my 2015 328d got the wrong DEF fluid message, took to BMW after reading this post and learning the NOX sensors should be covered under extended warranty. After analysis they agreed and will replace the pre SCR NOX sensor. However they say they have to charge me $225 to reset the adaptations after putting in the new NOX sensor. How is that not part of the warranty? anyone else have this issue with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #35
tsykal78
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcromwell View Post
So I have run in to the same issue, Replaced both nox sensors, completed the scr metering test, reset adaptations and completed the 1 hour src test. Everthing seems to pass but I still get the the warning message that I have 157 miles left before the engine will not start. Is this normal and I just need to start driving or am I still missing something?
In my case the warranty covered everything. They even kept the card for an extra day to finish the adaptations, but at the end my bill was $0.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:12 AM   #36
Brent Dalton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Hi everyone, I'm back with a follow-up. I had the "incorrect AdBlue, no start in X miles" come back up a few times since my last post. The error would come back when it seemed like the AdBlue should be injecting. For me, resetting the adblue adaption using ISTA and driving ~25 miles on the autobahn would clear it... so that's good news if you have a busy schedule. I finally had some time to do some maintenance on the X5 yesterday and also explored this issue.

After doing some research, I was reasonably certain the SCR metering pump nozzle was clogged.

There is one splash shield that has to be removed, then it's one clamp holding the pump onto the downpipe. As you can see, a good bit of build up on the injector.

I rinsed it with distilled water and dissolved it. You can also soak it in distilled water. You can also confirm it is spraying via ISTA. Time will tell if this solved the problem. MTF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 12:49 PM   #37
axelnep
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Help please!!!

Hello everyone. I need help on the same error that came up on my F15. Does anyone know a mechanic that will be able to get this fixed in SoCAL? I live in Victorville and my car is with my long time mechanic in Burbank. Unfortunately, they are not that well versed with this kind of error with the diesel engine. They advised me to just go to the dealer to get this fixed but dealer is charging arm and a leg for it. I just want to see if there are any other options that I can take to get this repaired before I just take it to the dealer if there are no other options. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you so much and more power to the group. God bless.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #38
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 325xi, 2015 X5 35d

We have 2015 X5 35d with 105,000 kms on it and several days ago the "incorrect fluid" message appeared with the countdown to "no start".

I think it initially gave us "320kms to no start". Well, we drove past the 0 countdown mark to get the vehicle home, parked it where I could later address whatever the issue is. I was able to start it a few times immediately after shutting it off, after we reached the "no start" point but the next morning it would not start, only crank over. Getting it into neutral to move it when it wouldn't start was another annoyance

I have not got underway with troubleshooting but I just wanted to thank W37V, smyles, Brent Dalton and other users for their posts while dealing with the same issue. After reading their comments, I'm pretty confident I can sort this out myself which is always my desired course of action. I never go to a dealership unless it is a warranty item or a last resort.

I'll post my own experience in dealing with this, and the final outcome, once I get around to it. I don't have time now and thankfully we can still get around our 20 year old 325xi with 380,000 on it that NEVER fails us!

Thanks again, great thread!

Last edited by yellow_boss; 01-03-2023 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 10:41 AM   #39
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

After I pushed it to where I needed to work on it I checked codes and got:

P220E - NOx Sensor Heater Control Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
P24AE - Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit
P2BA9 - NOx Exceedence - Insufficient Reagent Quality

Next I jacked it up and removed the SCR METERING UNIT to check and clean it (as Brent Dalton did (posted above)). Mine was not too gummed up but I cleaned it and reinstalled it.

I then cleared the codes with a cheap code reader and it allowed me to start the engine. However, it again displayed an "INCORRECT FLUID - NO START IN 80kms". Apparently from what I read these additional kms can only be generated once without using ISTA software. So, I drove it about 44kms hoping it would clear itself but unfortunately that didn't happen. I tried disconnect both batteries overnight hoping that may clear it but no luck there either.

Next, I'll try and get a version of ISTA and a windows laptop (which I don't own) to try to further diagnose issue and clear the no start condition. It will NOT go to the dealer if I can help it :-)
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 07:53 PM   #40
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_boss View Post
After I pushed it to where I needed to work on it I checked codes and got:....

Next, I'll try and get a version of ISTA and a windows laptop (which I don't own) to try to further diagnose issue and clear the no start condition. It will NOT go to the dealer if I can help it :-)
Careful. Even they might refuse to fix it given once you lock the DDE (resetting the no start condition and exceeding allowed km) they will say you have to replace the DDE to even start the diagnosis. You have one more shot at this before needing professional help given your allowable mileage left.

From your codes it looks like you have a bad NOX sensor causing the X5 to not regen. I am unsure of P24AE. That could be a result of the no regens, though it sounds electrical given the description...

BTW, I locked my DDE by going over the allowable mileage, resetting it, and exceeding mileage again. It required sending out the DDE, CAS, and a key to a service to have the DDE unlocked. ISTA-D (or ISTA-P) will not unlock the DDE once it has the no start condition. I have both running on a laptop. While waiting to get the electronics back, I replaced both NOX sensors. Then replaced the DDE and CAS after receiving them back. Never received Incorrect DEF fluid 200mi countdown again. Also, if you do ever get an SCR efficiency code... never reset it. It sets the countdown code after about 50 miles if the problem still exists.

Good luck to you. This other forum thread has the most information I could find on this problem. I'd read it and then go from there. But you are correct in that you will need to get ISTA/Rheingold running as you will need to run through the SCR system diagnosis test.

It's unfortunate you're in the GWN, here in the States the dealer would have had to handle that under warranty. I don't think you guys get the extended emissions warranty up there.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #41
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

@crystalworks

Thanks for taking the time to send this message, I appreciate the advice and sharing your experience with this!

I have not had time to get back to this problem, it's been sitting in garage as a floor ornament since I just have not found the time to get to it. So, the vehicle has not moved an inch and still sits at 44kms until NO START and I have no intention on moving it until the problem is fully diagnosed and fixed.

I picked up a windows laptop and just downloaded the ISTA software yesterday so I'm hoping once I figure out how to use the software it'll help me diagnose and test the SCR system. I too suspect the NOX sensors but they're not cheap so I want to ensure that is the problem before I throw the parts at it.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 05:51 AM   #42
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

Update: I hooked the laptop/ISTA up to the vehicle. Fault codes with ISTA were

26FD00 - SCR system metering, adaptation: too high

2C4E00 - SCR System: Poor AdBule quality detected or system fault

Then I did the SCR metering module test after removing the SCR metering unit from the exhaust. I did the spray pattern test and the measurement test. I collected about 24mil/.81 oz of DEF during the measurement test which matched with the amount ISTA said would be metered in. I then re-installed the metering unit back into exhaust.

I then ran through the automated 11-step SCR exhaust emission system test/SCR functional check which took about an hour. I noted its progress while it was doing its thing:

Step 1- initialization
Step 2 - Compare the exhaust temperature sensors
Step 3 - I missed this one on the screen
Step 4 - Relieve the SCR catalytic converter
Step 5 - Cool down the exhaust emissions system
Step 6 - Adjustment of the nitrogen oxide sensors
Step 7 - Fill SCR system
Step 8 - Efficiency calculation
Step 9 - Establish normal condition
Step 10 - Nitrogen oxide sensor self-diagnosis
Step 11 - Evaluation (data computed and logged)

It then displayed all the data points (exhaust temps, NOX measurements in ppm etc) and indicated the SCR functional test was finished with the following result:

"A fault was detected for the NOx sensor before SCR catalytic converter. NOTICE: Replace the NOx sensor before SCR catalytic converter. Repeat the functional check after the nitrogen oxide sensor has been replaced to check the second nitrogen oxide sensor. If a fault is detected again for the nitrogen oxide sensor before the catalytic converter, replace the nitrogen oxide sensor after the SCR catalytic converter. End test module. DIAGCODE: D1170_D0000000_40_002.

It then indicated:

THE SCR functional check stored at least one of the following fault memory entries:
2A2D00 - SCR sustem: Maximum period exceeded until metering active
243D00 - Idle speed control: Engine speed too high
NOTICE: The fault memories can be deleted In addition to rectifying the additional fault, program the vehicle to the latest integration level. (I'm not sure what this means??)

It also displayed:

Carry out the following measures:
-Reneew faulty components in accordance with the SCR system test.
-Program the vehicle to the latest integration level (again, not sure here...)
-Reset the SCR long-term adaptation factor.
-Launch a diesel particulate filter regeneration and carry out a regeneration drive, Duration of approx 20 min at 60-120 km/h constant driving speed, until the Check Control message goes out. The SCR system test cannot clear the faults in the fault memory.
-Delete the fault memory.
DIAG CODE: D1361_D0000000_90_210

So, that's where I stand now. BMW Canada wants $1,190 CAD for a NOx sensor. Cheapest I can find elsewhere for a genuine BMW NOx sensor is $885 CAD. I see Chinese versions on eBay for $199 USD/$275CAD for a pair, both front and back, but I don't trust the quality. I'm not going to get to this again for a few weeks but in the meantime I will order up a genuine BMW front NOx sensor and provide an update after it is installed and I run a second functional test.

Hopefully I don't need a second NOx sensor!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:14 PM   #43
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

yellow_boss Sorry to hear about your issues. I knew price of injectors went up, but did not realize that price of NOX sensors went up as well. Man, this used to be a "cheap" in pre-covid days compared to part prices now. All part prices literally doubled from what was listed in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #44
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

This 35d has been sitting useless in our garage for over 6 weeks now! Well, I found some time to get at it again a couple of days ago. The new front NOX sensor arrived. It was $975 CAD/$725 USD shipped to my door.

The old NOx sensor was seized in there real tight. I recommend soaking it with good penetrating oil for a day or two before tackling this and BEWARE of the SCR Metering Unit. I had to get some extra leverage on my NOx sensor wrench and it slipped while I was pulling on it and it snapped the plastic hose barb on the SCR Metering Unit (DEF Injector). Dammit! So, now I'm waiting on a new Bosch SCR Metering Unit. They were $470 CAD/$350 USD for Genuine BMW or $250 CAD/$180 USD for the Bosch version.

I got the old NOx Sensor out and the new one in. It's not easiest task as the wire for the NOX sensor goes from the pax side, up and over the transmission, then connects to a harness on driver's side and it's zipped tied in a few spots way up in there!

The new SCR Metering Unit (DEF injector) should be here in a couple of days and I do have time this week to get at it immediately. Once it's in, I'll run the 11-step ISTA diagnostics again and hope it doesn't ask for the rear NOx sensor to be replaced too. They are even more expensive. Just in case this is needed, I've been soaking the rear NOx in penetrant too.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0