BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Replacing connector for the trunk's control panel box

Hi everyone,

My trunk stopped working, meaning when I press the button to open from the rear it clicks, but it doesn't go up at all, when I close it manually I do hear the soft close finish the closing if I don't slam it completely. I check the control panel/electronic box for the trunk located on the rear right side of the trunk and found a puddle of water and the panel wet.

Can someone tell me how I can replace this black connector? It has blue due it so I'm guessing it's fried since the panel box itself works 100%.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions and thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

It's not telling upload the pictures, I will keep trying.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Check your fuses for the power lift gate. That corrosion does not necessarily indicate a failed connector. The water might have temporarily shorted the pins and blew a fuse (or two) and once dried, and the fuse(s) replaced, everything might be good again.

I had this happen on an E61 5 series wagon and once I cleaned everything out, replaced some fuses, and connected everything back up it was good to go. That was 2 years ago.

Worst case scenario though is that it did something to the module that the harness connects to. That would require replacing the module and possible coding, sorry I don't know which one is responsible for the lift gate on the F15.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Check your fuses for the power lift gate. That corrosion does not necessarily indicate a failed connector. The water might have temporarily shorted the pins and blew a fuse (or two) and once dried, and the fuse(s) replaced, everything might be good again.

I had this happen on an E61 5 series wagon and once I cleaned everything out, replaced some fuses, and connected everything back up it was good to go. That was 2 years ago.

Worst case scenario though is that it did something to the module that the harness connects to. That would require replacing the module and possible coding, sorry I don't know which one is responsible for the lift gate on the F15.
I actually bought the module thinking it was that since it was wet and the tailgate was acting the same so now I have to modules for the rear 🙄. I will check the rear fuse box and see if that helps. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
Quote:

I actually bought the module thinking it was that since it was wet and the tailgate was acting the same so now I have to modules for the rear 🙄. I will check the rear fuse box and see if that helps. Thank you!
I just checked all the fuses for the tailgate and all of them and good. Do you know where I could find that failed connector?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
I just checked all the fuses for the tailgate and all of them and good. Do you know where I could find that failed connector?
Well, that connector will be part of the harness so would require a de-pinning and replacement of the pins and/or plastic connector.

Do you have access to a BMW code reader? Would be interesting to see what the car thinks is happening with that module and the power lift gate.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, that connector will be part of the harness so would require a de-pinning and replacement of the pins and/or plastic connector.

Do you have access to a BMW code reader? Would be interesting to see what the car thinks is happening with that module and the power lift gate.
Yeah so my initial run gave me codes from picture 1-3 then I cleared all the codes and did a reset on the module and on picture 4 it only gave me only 2 codes which were 801708 and 801711. Please see pictures below, hopefully the upload in the right order lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:15 PM   #8
jaaf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18' X5M

Garage List
1993 MAZDA RX-7  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
were you ever able to figure this out? I'm having the same issue. Fuses are good. Module replaced, same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 01:19 PM   #9
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

replace the connector. I don't think de-pinning and re-pinning is going to help since the pin contacts are corroded not the plastic connector lol. Buy the pigtail if you can and splice it in.
Appreciate 0