BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Front Amber Reflector Easy Removal

My friend sent me the instructions on how to take these out easily without taking apart the whole side well and arches. I'll explain what he says in case it is hard to read for any of you. Basically, you ONLY need to unclip HALF of the flare/wheel arch - the front portion - in order for it to release the amber reflector.

There are 3 (8mm) bolts that need to be removed. Use a wrench or socket wrench.

There are 2 plastic rivets (1 above the 3 bolts and 1 below them) that must be removed.

Within each plastic rivet, there is a tiny circle that you can push in with a small screw driver. This will make removing it easier.

You must push these two flare clips forward away from you.

Then, you must firmly pull the front part of the flare (wheel arch) away from the vehicle's body.

After the flare (wheel arch) has been removed, from the inside, push the reflector OUTWARD (away from the vehicle) and UP in order for it to release from the bumper.

Last edited by opasha; 02-19-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 6
      01-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

You are the man!
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

opasha , I would say that is the easy way to pinch and cut your hand.
My DIY, I made it that way so you will have room to clean up the left over double sided tape that will come off from the original reflector.
Taran.J , since you are going to do it. Maybe you can give a feedback on how easy that would be.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
My DIY, I made it that way so you will have room to clean up the left over double sided tape that will come off from the original reflector.
Taran.J , since you are going to do it. Maybe you can give a feedback on how easy that would be.
Maybe, but my friend did it without any issues multiple times . Again, I'm thankful for your DIY and help as always, my friend. People were just asking for a simpler method (if it existed), so I posted it based on that. Since Taran.J is very handy and does all of his mods himself, he is a good person to let us know how easy it really is .
      01-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Maybe, but my friend did it without any issues multiple times . Again, I'm thankful for your DIY and help as always, my friend. People were just asking for a simpler method (if it existed), so I posted it based on that. Since Taran.J is very handy and does all of his mods himself, he is a good person to let us know how easy it really is .
Taran just needs to find time to do it. I've only put 200 miles on the X5. Been driving the S class since its been nice and dry out here. I'll try and do it in the morning.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
No, I don't have problem with that. A simpler method always welcome.
I tried to make it as simple as possible also. I just doesn't make sense to me that it is as easy as that. I've tried all different way to pull it out, but hey, I can make a mistake too. And maybe I overlook something also.
I know that on the 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 was as easy as opening up a small portion of the fender liner and you can get access of the reflector.
While on the F15 X5 and F16 X6, there is a circle part (if you see on Taran's picture) where it got sandwiched between the bumper skin and the bumper bracket itself.
But hey, again, I may overlooked it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, I don't have problem with that. A simpler method always welcome.
I tried to make it as simple as possible also. I just doesn't make sense to me that it is as easy as that. I've tried all different way to pull it out, but hey, I can make a mistake too. And maybe I overlook something also.
I know that on the 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 was as easy as opening up a small portion of the fender liner and you can get access of the reflector.
While on the F15 X5 and F16 X6, there is a circle part (if you see on Taran's picture) where it got sandwiched between the bumper skin and the bumper bracket itself.
But hey, again, I may overlooked it.
Trust me, I referenced your full DIY and showed my friend. He then did the method shown above saying it's much easier than that. He also said, BMW really loves to make things complicated on purpose so people don't mod things. I'm sure it was simply something overlooked as it happens to the best of us .
      01-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, I referenced your full DIY and showed my friend. He then did the method shown above saying it's much easier than that. He also said, BMW really loves to make things complicated on purpose so people don't mod things. I'm sure it was simply something overlooked as it happens to the best of us .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Video of install coming tomorrow hopefully for everyone.

Also, for those of you wanting custom painted (to your body color) reflectors and the clear reflective ones ( hyde, MattBianco), my friend is going to be making them very soon. I will update all of this later . He has made clear reflective ones for other cars and headlights before. I just never knew and asked a yesterday.
      01-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Are they held in place solely by compression or double-sided tape?
Hopefully your buddy will make smoked ones as well.
      01-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
I'll ask. What method is best? I'm sure he can make smoked, but can you link me an example picture so I can show him. Thanks .

Also, the price for painted reflectors will be $50 for a set once he starts making them. I'll post more info as his progress moves forward.
      01-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster
It is being held by double sided tape and sandwiched between the bumper skin and the bumper bracket.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Quote:
It is being held by double sided tape and sandwiched between the bumper skin and the bumper bracket.
If the bracket wasn't there this would've been as simple as the E9x reflector swap
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Quote:
If the bracket wasn't there this would've been as simple as the E9x reflector swap
Well, I never tried replacing it without removing the bracket.
Per Opasha's friend, it is do-able.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Quote:
Well, I never tried replacing it without removing the bracket.
Per Opasha's friend, it is do-able.
Yup and I haven't had the time to go down there and mess about with them
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'll ask. What method is best? I'm sure he can make smoked, but can you link me an example picture so I can show him. Thanks .

Also, the price for painted reflectors will be $50 for a set once he starts making them. I'll post more info as his progress moves forward.
Stock method is best. I was just asking the question as to how the stock ones are fastened. Per Ben's response, sounds like it's with tape and natural compression from the liner/bracket.

Painting stock markers are one thing, but having clear or smoked ones manufactured would be a bigger undertaking, so if he's done this before for other cars, I assume he has a connection w/ a factory that can duplicate stock pieces, only using clear or smoked plastic instead of amber?

Here's a pic of smoked markers on my C300. Depo serves much of the aftermarket wrt headlights, markers, etc. I'm just as surprised as everyone else here that they haven't come out with F15 products yet.

I received a pair of the stock ambers markers in the mail on Friday. I'll probably use window tint on them first to see how they look. Can take it off and then paint if I don't like how they look.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Stock method is best. I was just asking the question as to how the stock ones are fastened. Per Ben's response, sounds like it's with tape and natural compression from the liner/bracket.

Painting stock markers are one thing, but having clear or smoked ones manufactured would be a bigger undertaking, so if he's done this before for other cars, I assume he has a connection w/ a factory that can duplicate stock pieces, only using clear or smoked plastic instead of amber?

Here's a pic of smoked markers on my C300. Depo serves much of the aftermarket wrt headlights, markers, etc. I'm just as surprised as everyone else here that they haven't come out with F15 products yet.

I received a pair of the stock ambers markers in the mail on Friday. I'll probably use window tint on them first to see how they look. Can take it off and then paint if I don't like how they look.
Yeah, I figured stock method was the best way as well. I just wanted to double check since I'm not familiar with this process at all. He's the one doing everything. I just helped him out with the part numbers to get the original amber reflectors, so he can create new ones from that. He actually showed me his work on doing custom clear reflectors and light housings, so he definitely knows how to do it. I'll show him the smoked reflector. Knowing him, he'll be able to do it without issues. Again, this is just to let everyone know it's coming. I'll update once they are made and link his info for everyone if anyone is interested. In case anyone was wondering, I get nothing out of it except helping the community and my friend .
      01-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #18
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

I'm ordering when ready!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Does anyone know what's the purpose of those gills in that first picture? It's only on one side, the other side doesn't have them.
      01-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
Doanster
Major
Rep

Extra venting/cooling for the intercooler most likely. I don't know exactly where our ICs are, but i don't recall seeing a FMIC beneath the radiator, so assume it's buried on the driver's side of the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Extra venting/cooling for the intercooler most likely. I don't know exactly where our ICs are, but i don't recall seeing a FMIC beneath the radiator, so assume it's buried on the driver's side of the engine bay.
The 35d and 35i uses FMIC, it is located in the bottom center of the front bumper.
The 50i uses water to air cooled, those are the two small aluminum boxes where the MAP sensors at.
Sorry I am on mobile, so I can't put together some pictures to point them out.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The 35d and 35i uses FMIC, it is located in the bottom center of the front bumper.
The 50i uses water to air cooled, those are the two small aluminum boxes where the MAP sensors at.
Sorry I am on mobile, so I can't put together some pictures to point them out.
Here's a picture of the 50i engine area. The inter-coolers are located just behind the two MAP sensors. I believe those two big silver looking boxes.