BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
mgcyr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 GTS, ‘17 Cayenne

Protection packages

Hi everyone,

It has been a long while since I have posted here. I had a quick question concerning the protection packages offered. Normally I just ignore them and say no to everything, but I thought maybe I should get a second opinion. So here I am.

I am leasing an X5d and these are the protection packages offered:

Excess wear and tear(1059$-security deposit) or Esthetic protection (780$) which will make a lot of sense for your end of lease.

Full services inclusive 3years/50k (745$) which will include Break replacement, battery replacement and wiper replacement. It will be worth it just for the breaks replacement.

Tire and Rim Protection that will cover 5000$ damages (no deductibles) due to road hazards on your summer/winter tires and mags

Any advice on whether or not they are worth it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I had the tire and rim protection on my last BMW because I kept the car in NYC where there are more potholes than people.

Bent all 4 rims within 6 months but getting them replaced under the plan was a pain in the ass because there must be a visible impact site. Fast forward another 6 months to Miami and I had two bent rims. This time, they wouldn't even consider replacing.

I made the argument that they were either bent from a road hazard or they were defective and should be replaced under warranty. The shop manager agreed and took it up to the regional level. It was denied. I called BMW customer service and they said they couldn't help but referred me back to the administrator of the plan.

I ended up having to pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
touchdown83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcyr View Post
Hi everyone,

It has been a long while since I have posted here. I had a quick question concerning the protection packages offered. Normally I just ignore them and say no to everything, but I thought maybe I should get a second opinion. So here I am.

I am leasing an X5d and these are the protection packages offered:

Excess wear and tear(1059$-security deposit) or Esthetic protection (780$) which will make a lot of sense for your end of lease.

Full services inclusive 3years/50k (745$) which will include Break replacement, battery replacement and wiper replacement. It will be worth it just for the breaks replacement.

Tire and Rim Protection that will cover 5000$ damages (no deductibles) due to road hazards on your summer/winter tires and mags

Any advice on whether or not they are worth it would be appreciated.
How long is the lease term? I'd expect the full services inclusive to be a worthless option, unless you're doing a long-term lease.

That said, there are other tire/rim plans that you can get after-market that are easier to use and cheaper. Most of them allow you to take it straight to the dealer, but you'd have to pay out of pocket up front, unlike this plan, which you'd amortize over the life of the lease (+ finance charges which should be very small).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

If you don't get excess/wear, then you'll have to put down a deposit. If you plan on getting rid of your lease midterm and you don't have excess wear, the new lessee gets your security deposit. Its good to have in a way if you have a track record or having cars not looking so good after a couple years.

Tire/Rim is a hit and miss. You have options of buying a used tire for a fraction of cost.

Don't bother with the appearance package.
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC
I had the tire and rim protection on my last BMW because I kept the car in NYC where there are more potholes than people.

Bent all 4 rims within 6 months but getting them replaced under the plan was a pain in the ass because there must be a visible impact site. Fast forward another 6 months to Miami and I had two bent rims. This time, they wouldn't even consider replacing.

I made the argument that they were either bent from a road hazard or they were defective and should be replaced under warranty. The shop manager agreed and took it up to the regional level. It was denied. I called BMW customer service and they said they couldn't help but referred me back to the administrator of the plan.

I ended up having to pay out of pocket.
Wow. That is terrible. I hope that's not the norm.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
mgcyr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 GTS, ‘17 Cayenne

I ended up not getting any additional protection packages. I'm skeptical that they will actually honor them.

Picky up my car 2 days ago. It's a 36 month lease.
Appreciate 0