BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2016, 03:07 AM   #23
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

How about engaging the child lock on the rear doors? That should prevent the doors from being open from the inside.........after they smash the small rear window
(but then they might just smash the drivers door window instead....? making more damage)

one thing is the thiefs, no comment there, but what annoys me more that there are such assholes that would buy those stolen and second hand market products. Come on, you buy a 50k+ car and than mod it with stolen parts to save money???
I would understand this for some cheap as kid's Honda tuning but in this premium segment, sad sad sad

Last edited by pragueX5; 06-16-2016 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #24
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Get protection called ZEDER (for the steering wheel), really the only thing that really works. My navi got stolen few months ago, the whole unit, unfortunately no protection for that, actually I heard there is but does not really work as they tear up even more of the console. VERY SORRY FOR THE THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU. Here are few of my photos
funny how the dealer told me that the Navi is now never stolen as its a split unit.... separate screen and then computer somewhere making it useless
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #25
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Get protection called ZEDER (for the steering wheel), really the only thing that really works. My navi got stolen few months ago, the whole unit, unfortunately no protection for that, actually I heard there is but does not really work as they tear up even more of the console. VERY SORRY FOR THE THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU. Here are few of my photos
How is a steering wheel column lock, gonna prevent your steering wheel/navi from being stolen? It just prevent theft of the whole car or am I wrong?

Last edited by ikheetleon; 06-16-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:41 AM   #26
eWave
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 30d M Sport

Quote:
Oh man, sorry to hear about your navigation. Clearly the method of entering the car is the same (via small rear door window). What might be the real reason behind this? Of course there is less glass where you can hurt yourself and it might make less noise, but other than that...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 04:25 AM   #27
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

BMW has been criticized for how easy everything comes off, including the navigation, and their failure to address this issue. After all, they are making huge profits on these thefts.

In Sweden, the thieves are known to cleanse whole neighbourhoods of BMW parts, while leaving the Mercedeses and Audis untouched.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

From a Dutch newspaper:

"According Bovag, the Netherlands suffers from gangs that will sell their goods in Eastern Europe. ,, Sometimes they take their chances in the Northern Netherlands, again in the south, '' said spokesman Tom Huyskens. ,, Just try to catch them, within a day in they are back in Romania or Bulgaria. ''

Also prevention expert René Angels insurer Bovemij find parts theft is becoming more common. ,, Dealers would get hit on ten to twenty cars, now it involves sometimes eighty cars in one night. "" We are quickly talking hundreds of thousands of euros of damage to a single company.

A special project of insurers discovered that the thieves strike across the country. But there is not much to discover in line. ,, Sometimes it's a Mercedes or a BMW, the next time a Renault or a Kia. And the one time it airbags, other times wheels, or the interior of the control panel. ''

Not all thieves get away with their loot. In December, were arrested in Almere three Lithuanians who were ready to leave with a truck full of stolen parts. The center consoles, navigation devices, media players, airbags and steering columns, where possible, returned to the rightful owners.

Some photographs:

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #29
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon
Quote:
How is a steering wheel column lock, gonna prevent your steering wheel/navi from being stolen? I just prevent theft of the whole car or am I wrong?
It does both actually. My E92 got stolen, they tried to steal the E71 that followed and this thing stopped them, difficult to break, very.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #30
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
From a Dutch newspaper:

"According Bovag, the Netherlands suffers from gangs that will sell their goods in Eastern Europe. ,, Sometimes they take their chances in the Northern Netherlands, again in the south, '' said spokesman Tom Huyskens. ,, Just try to catch them, within a day in they are back in Romania or Bulgaria. ''

Also prevention expert René Angels insurer Bovemij find parts theft is becoming more common. ,, Dealers would get hit on ten to twenty cars, now it involves sometimes eighty cars in one night. "" We are quickly talking hundreds of thousands of euros of damage to a single company.

A special project of insurers discovered that the thieves strike across the country. But there is not much to discover in line. ,, Sometimes it's a Mercedes or a BMW, the next time a Renault or a Kia. And the one time it airbags, other times wheels, or the interior of the control panel. ''

Not all thieves get away with their loot. In December, were arrested in Almere three Lithuanians who were ready to leave with a truck full of stolen parts. The center consoles, navigation devices, media players, airbags and steering columns, where possible, returned to the rightful owners.

Some photographs:

This happened to me in Netherlands. By noon i was number 6 at the dealer with same navi pro being stolen. That was just at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #31
usual_suspect
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40D M Sport

This is very common in whole Western Europe. Last year they stole my 20" 310 wheels on my X3, twice. Now I use special wheel locks and parks my X5 1 inch from the wall in the garage, just to make it harder for the thieves. I'm afraid that if they want to take the parts from your car, they can. It's just a matter of making it hard enough so that they choose another victim instead of you.

Also, as I've understood it, the police together with the insurance companies are starting to take this more seriously over the last years. I don't know how it works in other countries but today all new BMW X5 are DNA marked.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #32
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Yes the cars are DNA marked and the thieves dont care even the slightest about that sticker on the window...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #33
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Wow it's theft on a whole new level; I've never seen anything like it.
      06-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #34
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Well, if these guys are experienced (most likely they are - think of Gone in 60 seconds), then most likely they are shutting down the battery somehow. You technically need to do this before removing the steering wheel airbag so it doesn't blow up in your face. So....there's that.
^^^ opasha has done a beautiful carbon fiber steering mod....knows the ins and outs.

The people who hit your car were extreme pros. When/if they are busted, they will have dealer-type tools I suspect.
      06-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
From a Dutch newspaper:

Some photographs:
(images removed)
This reminds me of a silly invention idea we had with friends about 20 years ago when in the US the bad guys were stealing stereos, often by sawing off the dash.....why can't we have a prison type anti-theft device? If intruder goes it, doors lock, windows roll up, steel bars roll-up and you cage the bastard...it was a joke of course.

I don't think it is any better in the US, except here they go after popular models so they can sell the parts faster. Also, there was an incident in my area three years ago when neighbors woke up to the sound of saws in the middle of the night...they were cutting off catalytic converters.
      06-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #36
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

How is the steering wheel/headunit/navi fastened? Can I replace some standard screws with security screws, just to piss those thugs off?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #37
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Some swedes suggested putting glue on the screws for the navi and steering wheel. Might save your navi, or just have them make bigger damage to get it off. Your car will be a mess even if they fail.

I left my car at a small repair shop outside Stockholm one morning. When I picked it up by lunch, they towed seven cars to the lot that had been broken in to. No sophisticated methods, they threw big rocks on the windows until one shattered. So glass was everywhere in the cars, and all kinds of interior parts were missing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #38
RickyBobbyBtn
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.0d M Sport

This happened this week:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1735...hton-and-hove/

I was one of the 12-13 people effected. This then happened the following day:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1735...-wheel-thefts/

Almost unheard of, looks like they came back for a 2nd night... Not really sure what will happen, if anything. Currently looking at options to help de-risk it from happening again. Any advise welcomed
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #39
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

well, in the US, the ones with the skill set and efficiency like those thieves will get paid better by the dealers or mechanic shops. I think at a high level, it's more of broader political/economic issues rather than BMW's engineering faults.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #40
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

A simple "wheel lock" of sorts from BMW should fix this. No wonder I am seeing $750 msport steering with airbags on ebay left and right.

Having $5000 wheels/tires and other parts basically left unsecured doesn't help. You can buy a wheel lock set for $100. A lot of these thefts will not happen in Asia or Africa surprisingly, since the skill isn't there and its assumed an expensive car will need to be guarded. Its in the streets of Berlin or Nice that its presumed these cars can be left safely parked and then stuff like this happens. The other thing is that the developed western world has mostly decreased penalties for offenses in the last many decades - which is why no one would dare to do this in Dubai since its not worth risking their life for, but in Latvia, they really won't be prosecuted to the same extent.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #41
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

BMW and other premium brands created this problem by jacking up pricing on the very simple parts. Look at the prices of X6 knee pads retrofit, the go for almost $1000 today, but in the end they are just two pieces of plastic with a piece of leather on top. Same with steering wheels, why does it cost $3000?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #42
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
BMW and other premium brands created this problem by jacking up pricing on the very simple parts. Look at the prices of X6 knee pads retrofit, the go for almost $1000 today, but in the end they are just two pieces of plastic with a piece of leather on top. Same with steering wheels, why does it cost $3000?
These thieves must have long skinny fingers. I had a heck of a time accessing the plugs at the rear of my headlights to change the angel eye bulbs
On some of the photos they were kind enough to unplug the lights instead of cutting the wires
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #43
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Select Porsche models had this issue with headlights being easy removable and held in place by clips, so all what you need to do is to pull, unplug and run.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #44
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

This was happening in the DC suburbs with Hondas before I left. They'd come in and take airbags one day, wheels the next. Always Hondas. Weird as there were Porsches, BMWs, Jags all parked on the street and the Hondas were the ones to get nuked.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0