BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Draw-tite hitch and 7-way plug install (pics)

Finally got around to getting a hitch for the wife's X5 and soon-to-be weekend tow vehicle. I debated between Invisihitch and Draw-tite but ultimately went with the Draw-tite, due to its ability to accommodate a Weight Distribution System. I also opted for a passive aftermarket harness since it appears that BMW has raised the prices on the OEM F15 retrofit towing kit (~$700+ with the lighting module, plus another $200-300 for coding!).

Master Hitch in Houston did a great job with the install. No cutting was necessary, and they were also able to fit in the 7-way plug without modifications.

Now I just need to find the travel trailer
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
igeneo
Rep
Drives:

Any issues with the PDC sensors when a trailer is there? Does the harness handle it?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeneo View Post
Any issues with the PDC sensors when a trailer is there? Does the harness handle it?
PDC sensors will go crazy in reverse when a trailer is there. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to fix this without buying the OEM harness and getting the vehicle coded.

However, I don't mind pushing the button to disable the PDC sensors manually. The $700-800 in savings is worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Thanks for posting, I'm just having the same dilemma. Can you confirm the year of your X5 and whether yours has the M Sport package or not? Looking at your picture and exhaust it does look like the M Sport.

I have a 2016 X5 35d with M Sport and while the Invisihitch seems awesome, the DrawTite is a fraction of the cost and having a typical 2" receiver tube ultimately more "standard".
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Thanks for posting, I'm just having the same dilemma. Can you confirm the year of your X5 and whether yours has the M Sport package or not? Looking at your picture and exhaust it does look like the M Sport.

I have a 2016 X5 35d with M Sport and while the Invisihitch seems awesome, the DrawTite is a fraction of the cost and having a typical 2" receiver tube ultimately more "standard".
I'm in the same situation.

I have a '17 35d with M-sport and need some advice on installing a tow hitch.

Let me know what you come up with, invisihitch looks ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

His car is not the M Sport.
Unless you tow a lot, I do recommend Invisihitch, it looks much better.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:

I have a 2015 X5 50i with the Luxury Line package. The look of the Invishitch is unbeatable (...invisible). I seriously considered this option, but the inability to tow with a weight distribution hitch was a dealbreaker for me. I understand that BMW reportedly advises against using a WDH, but I speculate that this is to avoid liability. Several X5'ers on the boards have used a WDH and have had great success. I plan on towing a 5,000+ lb rig and trailer sway is the last thing I want to worry about during long trips.

If money is no issue and you don't plan on towing anything large and prone to sway, I'd go with the Invisihitch in a heart beat.

If you don't mind looking at a 2" receiver from behind and want to save $700-800, the Draw-tite is an excellent option. Also gives you the optionality of towing some cool stuff down the road.

I've heard through one of the Invisihitch reps that they may be releasing a hitch with a 2" receiver that IS compatible with a WDH. Might be worth giving them a call.

Last edited by djxilo; 04-01-2017 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxilo View Post
Quote:

I have a 2015 X5 50i with the Luxury Line package. The look of the Invishitch is unbeatable (...invisible). I seriously considered this option, but the inability to tow with a weight distribution hitch was a dealbreaker for me. I understand that BMW reportedly advises against using a WDH, but I speculate that this is to avoid liability. Several X5'ers on the boards have used a WDH and have had great success. I plan on towing a 5,000+ lb rig and trailer sway is the last thing I want to worry about during long trips.

If money is no issue and you don't plan on towing anything large and prone to sway, I'd go with the Invisihitch in a heart beat.

If you don't mind looking at a 2" receiver from behind and want to save $700-800, the Draw-tite is an excellent option. Also gives you the optionality of towing some cool stuff down the road.

I've heard through one of the Invisihitch reps that they may be releasing a hitch with a 2" receiver that IS compatible with a WDH. Might be worth giving them a call.
Thanks I'm going to check out the DrawTite this week. Yes Invisihitch is releasing a WDH compatible attachment but it is bolt-on, meaning the Invisihitch pretty much becomes a DrawTite with a permanently visible receiver.
      04-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

So I would be curious how well drawTight hitch will integrate with MSport bumper. I just need a 2" receiver for a light bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #10
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
So I would be curious how well drawTight hitch will integrate with MSport bumper. I just need a 2" receiver for a light bike rack.
Spoke to a few dealers and since DrawTite specifically states they are not compatible with the M Sport package, I've ordered a Curt instead which several members here have reported fits without any cutting. Having it installed next Wednesday, I'll report back then with pictures.
      04-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Spoke to a few dealers and since DrawTite specifically states they are not compatible with the M Sport package, I've ordered a Curt instead which several members here have reported fits without any cutting. Having it installed next Wednesday, I'll report back then with pictures.
Let us know. I read that Curt blocks the tow hooks (just as an FYI). Are you having a mechanic or body shop install your hitch?
Appreciate 1
M3-Mike51.50
      04-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Let us know. I read that Curt blocks the tow hooks (just as an FYI). Are you having a mechanic or body shop install your hitch?
Not sure what you mean by Curt blocks the tow hooks? You mean the factory tow thing you can screw in through a hole in the bumper? If so, yes because the Curt doesn't retain the crash bar there is nothing to screw the tow hook into. But if you need to tow why use the hook, just attach to the hitch.
      04-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

M3 Mike. Do you plan to install yourself? I think I am going to order a Curt for my F15 this weekend. But I'm going to have local body shop install it. Drilling out rivets, etc.. to remove bumper may be more than I want to deal with at home. My time and potential mental frustration is likely worth what he will charge.
Sounds like the Curt 'replaces' the rear crash bar rather than sitting on top of it like Draw Tite. Bike rack only for me - so no wiring needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #14
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
M3 Mike. Do you plan to install yourself? I think I am going to order a Curt for my F15 this weekend. But I'm going to have local body shop install it. Drilling out rivets, etc.. to remove bumper may be more than I want to deal with at home. My time and potential mental frustration is likely worth what he will charge.
Sounds like the Curt 'replaces' the rear crash bar rather than sitting on top of it like Draw Tite. Bike rack only for me - so no wiring needed.
No a local hitch store is supplying and installing on Wednesday.
      05-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The Curt hitch installed nicely on my 2016 X5 35d with M-Sport package. No cutting of the bumper was required, the factory opening at the bottom of the bumper was more than sufficient. The installer added a bracket to mount the electrical connectors as the Curt has no place for them. In the end the hitch sits directly below the bumper skin and looks great. Haven't tried to tow anything yet...
Attached Images

05-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
The Curt hitch installed nicely on my 2016 X5 35d with M-Sport package. No cutting of the bumper was required, the factory opening at the bottom of the bumper was more than sufficient. The installer added a bracket to mount the electrical connectors as the Curt has no place for them. In the end the hitch sits directly below the bumper skin and looks great. Haven't tried to tow anything yet...
Looks great! Did you go with the OEM wiring harness or aftermarket? What do you plan on towing?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #17
Rigby
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
M3-Mike that looks terrific. I see it says you are in Toronto...I have the identical vehicle and I'm in Toronto too. You refer to 'the installer' - would you mind telling me who did the installation?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #18
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxilo View Post
Looks great! Did you go with the OEM wiring harness or aftermarket? What do you plan on towing?
Yes OEM wiring harness.. I actually had Pfaff BMW (local dealer where I bought the X5) install both the OEM hitch and OEM harness before I realized the OEM hitch is useless and can't accommodate a 2-5/16" ball. So had Pfaff remove the OEM hitch but leave the OEM harness since car was already programmed for it. Then had the Curt hitch installed for 1/5th of the price of the OEM hitch.

Planning to tow a Jayco camping trailer that weighs about 5,000lbs dry. Haven't picked the exact trailer yet but looking at the 26' Jayco Flight as a good option.

Last edited by M3-Mike; 05-08-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
M3-Mike that looks terrific. I see it says you are in Toronto...I have the identical vehicle and I'm in Toronto too. You refer to 'the installer' - would you mind telling me who did the installation?
I had a good experience at Safe-Pull Trailer Hitches. Price was good and while a small shop, I liked that I was able to deal directly with the owner and guy who was doing the actual install. They even went the extra mile to fabricate a custom mounting bracket for the OEM wiring harness at no extra cost.

http://www.safe-pull.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
djxilo
Private
Rep

Long overdue but finally picked up the trailer today. 2017 Lance 1995 weighing in at 4,080 lbs dry and 365 lbs on the tongue.

It came equipped with a Husky Center Line weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control. Being my first time towing a TT, I was pretty impressed with the hitch and handling of the X5. It was a lonnnng, rainy drive from Nacogdoches to Houston with 2-3 torrential downpours along the way but I had no issues with sway, despite being passed by at least 50 semis.

Overall the X5 performed well. Acceleration was a breeze and at times I forgot there was a 23 ft trailer behind me. I did feel more bounce in the suspension when going over bumps and there was additional 'play' in the steering wheel at times, but nothing overly concerning. Now if only it would stop raining and cool down a little bit.

Pics....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0