BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Chancepowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

light steering

Has anyone else grown tired of the light steering? Does anyone have a fix? Its electric so there must be a way to change a setting (like normal to "sport") but in this case- much stiffer?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
sigx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancepowell View Post
Has anyone else grown tired of the light steering? Does anyone have a fix? Its electric so there must be a way to change a setting (like normal to "sport") but in this case- much stiffer?
I am with you ... I have 20", feel the steering so much loose. I don't feel any difference between comfort, sport or sport+
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

My steering gets much stiffer going from comfort to sport. I think I have the Active steering option though.
      07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Chancepowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilmorecg View Post
My steering gets much stiffer going from comfort to sport. I think I have the Active steering option though.
Interesting- I have this option as well (ARS) on my 2016. I have found that sport does stiffen the steering but still not as planted as i remember on the previous model. I was told that the steering input is adjustable on the M and I am hoping there is a work around to adjust it on my X35d. Perhaps the smaller steering wheel plays a part but I really don't like the drive. On thing I did is switch out the 9" for a staggered set up and it did improve but again not like the previous model.

My wife however loves the steering response and thinks it is a much nicer drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Sport setting is much stiffer than comfort for sure. Don't thing Active Steering changes based on sport/comfort. active steering adjust the ratio (steering wheel turns:front wheel deflection) not the resistance if I'm not mistaken.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 03:29 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Sport setting is much stiffer than comfort for sure. Don't thing Active Steering changes based on sport/comfort. active steering adjust the ratio (steering wheel turns:front wheel deflection) not the resistance if I'm not mistaken.
AS is firmer in sport (its hydraulic as oppose to electric steering). 2016 was the last model that had it, was upset they took it out (very few people took it and many repairs within warranty period). I had it on E71 and 2015 model F15, loved it. Now am without it in 2017 and starting to forget how good AS was in terms of parking and stiffness in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
rhite95
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilmorecg View Post
Same here ....
      08-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

If you don't like light steering you shouldn't have gotten the X5 (or at least the X5 without adaptive steering since people think that seems to help).

It's basically a big comfy couch that takes you places. Those soccer moms in the core audience don't want to have to worry about holding a line while looking at their phones.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Have a loaner 2017 x5 35i right now. Steering is lose in all modes....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Have a loaner 2017 x5 35i right now. Steering is lose in all modes....
What? There's no way. It gets noticeably stiffer on Sport mode.
Unless BMW worked some magic for later models and loosened the stiffness in Sport mode.
      08-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Unless BMW worked some magic for later models and loosened the stiffness in Sport mode.
Yes, almost feels floaty, especially compared to my 15 x5d. Was one of the first things I noticed.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
sigx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
maybe just me ... I don't feel noticeable stiffer on sport or sport+
17 X6 35xi (M sport pkg/ 20" wheel); production date - March
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx5 View Post
+1 ~ 17 X5 xDrive35i equipped with M Sport Pkg, 20" wheels, & M Adaptive Suspension. May production
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx5 View Post
Okay, between Sport and Sport + if there's a difference, it's unnoticeable. I don't think there's a difference to begin with.

But, between Comfort and Sport, clear difference.
      08-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

Have a '17 35d and definitely the steering gets stiffer in Sports mode. Even in comfort mode, if I push the accelerator pedal the steering stiffs up and hence gives a good control on the speed.
      10-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
Flakhani
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10, F15

Quote:

Hi guys,

This is only my second post here but have been a BMW owner almost continuously for 20 years. Lately my loyalty has been severely tested with the switch to electric steering as their steering feel is really what it was all about for me. My 2016 X5 35i M sport I believe HAD the least BMW-like steering feel of all the BMWs I have owned(E38, E46, E46 coupe, E60, F10).

However, last Friday I ordered the V2 Bluetooth OBD thing or whatever it is and downloaded and paid for the full version of BimmerCode. All I wanted to change was stop the steering wheel from telescoping in and out on entry/exit as it took so long to do that and I am the primary driver of this car and my wife has her own F10. On the F10 we are able to customize sport mode so it only affects the steering and chassis(adaptive dampers), and keep the transmission and engine in comfort. This makes the car ride a bit stiffer and stiffens the steering wheel to our liking too without making throttle response needlessly aggressive. My wife still misses her sublime E46 ZHP steering feel that she had many years ago but oh well!

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20” M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don’t have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

Anyways, so this past Saturday I hooked up BimmerCode with the Bluetooth obd adapter to my F15 and started playing around with the coding and did a lot more than I thought I would. I made the following changes:

1. Changed the tire pressure monitor to show temperature as well as pressure.
2. Changed the mirrors to auto fold if I keep the lock button on the door depressed.
3. Changed the idrive splash screen to the M animation
4. Added turn signals to HUD
5. Added scanning for grass and curb to the lane keep warning
6. Went into expert mode and made the steering column moving in entry/exit inactive
7. CHANGED THE DEFAULT DRIVING MODE TO SPORT
8. CHANGED THE DRIVING MODE MEMORY TO ACTIVE

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didnÂ’t really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe thatÂ’s why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

The next morning, the car starts in sport mode since I had switched it off in sport mode. I am guessing BimmerCode really did code the car to retain the last driving mode in memory. Anyway, I switched off Sport and started reversin in comfort and the STEERING WHEEL STILL FELT LIKE IT WAS IN SPORT. I drove about 200 miles on Sunday (pumpkin patch, family lunch, ballet class, Halloween at the aquarium etc etc.) and the steering stayed stiffer in comfort mode. I absolutely started loving how the steering felt now!! I have never been a big fan of the Sport mode in its entirety in town because of the aggressive throttle and this was just perfect for me!

My theory is that maybe “default driving mode” in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers’ ease, it’s quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Anyways, I thought I would share this as reading the forums over the past couple years, I have felt a lot of members sharing my frustration with the lack of steering effort on the F15.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakhani View Post
Quote:

Hi guys,

This is only my second post here but have been a BMW owner almost continuously for 20 years. Lately my loyalty has been severely tested with the switch to electric steering as their steering feel is really what it was all about for me. My 2016 X5 35i M sport I believe HAD the least BMW-like steering feel of all the BMWs I have owned(E38, E46, E46 coupe, E60, F10).

However, last Friday I ordered the V2 Bluetooth OBD thing or whatever it is and downloaded and paid for the full version of BimmerCode. All I wanted to change was stop the steering wheel from telescoping in and out on entry/exit as it took so long to do that and I am the primary driver of this car and my wife has her own F10. On the F10 we are able to customize sport mode so it only affects the steering and chassis(adaptive dampers), and keep the transmission and engine in comfort. This makes the car ride a bit stiffer and stiffens the steering wheel to our liking too without making throttle response needlessly aggressive. My wife still misses her sublime E46 ZHP steering feel that she had many years ago but oh well!

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20" M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don't have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

Anyways, so this past Saturday I hooked up BimmerCode with the Bluetooth obd adapter to my F15 and started playing around with the coding and did a lot more than I thought I would. I made the following changes:

1. Changed the tire pressure monitor to show temperature as well as pressure.
2. Changed the mirrors to auto fold if I keep the lock button on the door depressed.
3. Changed the idrive splash screen to the M animation
4. Added turn signals to HUD
5. Added scanning for grass and curb to the lane keep warning
6. Went into expert mode and made the steering column moving in entry/exit inactive
7. CHANGED THE DEFAULT DRIVING MODE TO SPORT
8. CHANGED THE DRIVING MODE MEMORY TO ACTIVE

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didn't really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe that's why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

The next morning, the car starts in sport mode since I had switched it off in sport mode. I am guessing BimmerCode really did code the car to retain the last driving mode in memory. Anyway, I switched off Sport and started reversin in comfort and the STEERING WHEEL STILL FELT LIKE IT WAS IN SPORT. I drove about 200 miles on Sunday (pumpkin patch, family lunch, ballet class, Halloween at the aquarium etc etc.) and the steering stayed stiffer in comfort mode. I absolutely started loving how the steering felt now!! I have never been a big fan of the Sport mode in its entirety in town because of the aggressive throttle and this was just perfect for me!

My theory is that maybe "default driving mode" in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers' ease, it's quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Anyways, I thought I would share this as reading the forums over the past couple years, I have felt a lot of members sharing my frustration with the lack of steering effort on the F15.
Not sure what issues you were having but I can change my steering and engine response seperately. My default sport mode is sport chassis and steering and comfort engine/transmission.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #18
Flakhani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what issues you were having but I can change my steering and engine response seperately. My default sport mode is sport chassis and steering and comfort engine/transmission.
You may have the ability to change these separately when you have adaptive dampers or DHP, does your X5 or X6 have these options? My 5 series has the ability to change the chassis and engine response separately and it has adaptive dampers. My F15 doesn’t let me customize Sport mode in the same manner but increases engine response and steering effort at the same time. I have the M Sport suspension but no DHP or adaptive suspension.

I had seen many posts about members looking for any way to make the steering stiffer in Comfort mode and now using BimmerCode, my default Comfort mode now has the stiffer steering from Sport without actually being in Sport mode. Additionally, if I turn off the car in Sport mode, it will start back up in Sport which is also something I have read people wanted the ability to do.

The lack of steering effort or looseness in Comfort mode really made me dislike this car and now I am much much happier.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:43 AM   #19
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
This is what I do also. I do not have DHP or adaptive suspension. I simply ticked the box in the settings for Chassis only (so in my case, steering only).

I used Bimmercode to make Sport mode the default mode, so when I start the car it is in Sport mode but only the steering is affected, the transmission stays in Comfort mode.

If I need the Sports transmission, I just flick the gear lever over...

With Driving Mode Memory set to Active, if you turn your engine off when you were in Sport mode, it should start up in Sport mode...
Attached Images

Last edited by ems328i; 10-31-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      10-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Flakhani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
This is what I do also. I do not have DHP or adaptive suspension. I simply ticked the box in the settings for Chassis only (so in my case, steering only).

I used Bimmercode to make Sport mode the default mode, so when I start the car it is in Sport mode but only the steering is affected, the transmission stays in Comfort mode.

With Driving Mode Memory set to Active, if you turn your engine off when you were in Sport mode, it should start up in Sport mode...
I wonder why my F15 doesn’t let me configure Sport. I know I am looking in the right place because my F10 lets me configure sport. Does anyone know? My F15 is a 2016 M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post

My F15 Xline without DHP, but rear air suspension has these same options. Sport, Comfort and Eco. Sport can be configured the same way as in that picture.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
Flakhani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
My F15 Xline without DHP, but rear air suspension has these same options. Sport, Comfort and Eco. Sport can be configured the same way as in that picture.
I was finally able to code the settings in using BimmerCode 3.3. They emailed me saying the latest update from yesterday now gives us expert mode in ICM. Now I can customize Sport mode just like my F10 lets me. Yay!
Appreciate 0