BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you buy an X5 with 15k accident repairs?
For sure, 15k of repairs on a bimmer is nothing! 4 11.11%
Maybe, after/if (fill in the blank). 10 27.78%
Not a chance! 22 61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

08-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Well put DuSh and exactly right IMO. That's why I included pics of minor cosmetic damage that cost 15k to fix. You have to see it to believe it.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #24
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I'd rather deal with a rear end damaged car, rather than front end.
Potentially front end can cause the car to drift left or right when you lighten up on the steering wheel or it can also eat through expensive tires because the work wasn't done correctly. . . and in my experience it never is.

I'd drop back a year or two and look for a similar car (no accidents) to pop up.
These cars lose 25% of their value in the first year. Mine was a $60,000 MSRP yet a year later I paid $45,000 certified used with like 4 years left on the warranty plus 100k on the drive train.

My daughter just bought a 2014 toyota sienna minivan last week from a toyota dealer. It had a clean carfax.

But the previous owner left his maintenance records in the glove box.
So much for toyota's certified used 160 point check list they performed, they never even bothered to open the glove box or they would have removed that paperwork. This is what works on our cars

There was a repair record for $2,600 in body and parts repairs and it looks like the sliding side door was involved and since it was not on the carfax, it was probably done at some schlock shop

Trust "no one" especially when you are dealing with someone selling you a used car. If the dealer would have found that paperwork, do you think they would have made her aware that it was in an accident???
They would burn what ever they found.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
TyantA
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I'd rather deal with a rear end damaged car, rather than front end.
Potentially front end can cause the car to drift left or right when you lighten up on the steering wheel or it can also eat through expensive tires because the work wasn't done correctly. . . and in my experience it never is.
It is this that has me worried as it's happened with my wife's car. Chewing through tires, parts that don't stay snapped in, drifting, more engine vibration etc. Then again it was t-boned, front passenger side.

Quote:
I'd drop back a year or two and look for a similar car (no accidents) to pop up.
These cars lose 25% of their value in the first year. Mine was a $60,000 MSRP yet a year later I paid $45,000 certified used with like 4 years left on the warranty plus 100k on the drive train.
I'm looking at 2014 based on my test drives and the advice here. Not willing to go further back than that Also not sure if there were issues with 2014 that should have me looking at 2015 or not.

Quote:
My daughter just bought a 2014 toyota sienna minivan last week from a toyota dealer. It had a clean carfax.

But the previous owner left his maintenance records in the glove box.
So much for toyota's certified used 160 point check list they performed, they never even bothered to open the glove box or they would have removed that paperwork. This is what works on our cars

There was a repair record for $2,600 in body and parts repairs and it looks like the sliding side door was involved and since it was not on the carfax, it was probably done at some schlock shop

Trust "no one" especially when you are dealing with someone selling you a used car. If the dealer would have found that paperwork, do you think they would have made her aware that it was in an accident???
They would burn what ever they found.
Crazy.

Thanks TallTrees for the other pic for reference. That too is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I wouldn't touch it at all. I mean lots of people here wouldn't even own a BMW out of warranty because the cost of maintenance and repairs are super high to begin with.
My 2 year old X5 35i has been to the dealer several times for steering column replacements because it doesn't go up/down, wheel/cap corrosion, surround view camera malfunctioning and I'm sure there will be more to come
      08-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #27
TyantA
Rep

So she won't tell me where the repairs were done or which parts were replaced, citing Ontario privacy law...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #28
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyantA View Post
So she won't tell me where the repairs were done or which parts were replaced, citing Ontario privacy law...
OP move on. Price is not good enough. Lots of x5 out there
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 01:13 AM   #29
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
They're just not allowed to tell you who the previous owner was.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #30
TyantA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
They're just not allowed to tell you who the previous owner was.
That's what I thought. I'm visiting relatives in QC right now. Sales rep hinted that I ask someone here to run the VIN if I want that info as "the laws are different".

I did talk to someone here but they didn't get back to me yesterday and they are closed on weekends, so I'm out. I leave today for home (or to check out the vehicle in person) which are two different directions. I don't have the info I need our a realistic enough starting price point to consider driving out of my way to check out out. Not to mention the poll results have spoken!

That said, I don't think I will find an X5 that well equipped with that few km anywhere else... But any accident, however minor, doesn't seem to be the best foot to start a vehicle relationship. It is slim pickings in Canada too. Right now, BMW.ca only lists 20 X5 35d 2014 in the entire country. All have higher km, most have fewer features and higher asking prices, hence the original interest. Not to mention the imperial blue vs the typical black/white/great options.

I guess I haven't mentioned yet. They weren't sure if they could CPO the vehicle. Last night they brought it into the shop and determined they would CPO it. Which would "cost more" but they would "split the difference". The new price tag came to 59k tax in lol.

Last edited by TyantA; 08-05-2017 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #31
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
That's what I thought. I'm visiting relatives in QC right now. Sales rep hinted that I ask someone here to run the VIN if I want that info as "the laws are different".

I did talk to someone here but they didn't get back to me yesterday and they are closed on weekends, so I'm out. I leave today for home (or to check out the vehicle in person) which are two different directions. I don't have the info I need our a realistic enough starting price point to consider driving out of my way to check out out. Not to mention the poll results have spoken!

That said, I don't think I will find an X5 that well equipped with that few km anywhere else... But any accident, however minor, doesn't seem to be the best foot to start a vehicle relationship. It is slim pickings in Canada too. Right now, BMW.ca only lists 20 X5 35d 2014 in the entire country. All have higher km, most have fewer features and higher asking prices, hence the original interest. Not to mention the imperial blue vs the typical black/white/great options.

I guess I haven't mentioned yet. They weren't sure if they could CPO the vehicle. Last night they brought it into the shop and determined they would CPO it. Which would "cost more" but they would "split the difference". The new price tag came to 59k tax in lol.
Well in US prices on diesel are around $40k (depending on options and trim), with taxes it comes to around $43k (depending on state tax). Your $59k CAD is around $45k USD. So basically given that it's rare color and well optioned - price is correct .... for a accident free x5d. Still strange why dealer doesn't want to lower price due to accident My guess is they know it will sell eventually anyway - it's an SUV (SAV) with diesel engine in Canada - that's like a hot cake on a fair - it will sell

P.S. OP are you dead set on diesel? that's your main bottleneck for infinite amount of various x5 out there to choose. Just so you know - I test drove x5d and it does make tractor sounds and it does smell occasionally (cold starts, acceleration etc), I saw smoke coming out on cold start. Less shops who fix diesels, less power on highways. You are only gaining some MPG (and not that much if you don't drive like a taxi yearly). Is your wife aware that it's a diesel? My wife was strongly against it after we had 1 diesel VW that gave us a lot of issues. I can understand Europeans use it for their prices are 3 times higher for fuel, but they are willing to put up with it for savings, but in US/Canada - where diesel price is roughly same as regular fuel - why the heck do you even considering tractor lol? Ok, sorry, it's not of my business, just asking

Last edited by DuSh; 08-05-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
TyantA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Well in US prices on diesel are around $40k (depending on options and trim), with taxes it comes to around $43k (depending on state tax). Your $59k CAD is around $45k USD. So basically given that it's rare color and well optioned - price is correct .... for a accident free x5d. Still strange why dealer doesn't want to lower price due to accident My guess is they know it will sell eventually anyway - it's an SUV (SAV) with diesel engine in Canada - that's like a hot cake on a fair - it will sell

P.S. OP are you dead set on diesel? that's your main bottleneck for infinite amount of various x5 out there to choose. Just so you know - I test drove x5d and it does make tractor sounds and it does smell occasionally (cold starts, acceleration etc), I saw smoke coming out on cold start. Less shops who fix diesels, less power on highways. You are only gaining some MPG (and not that much if you don't drive like a taxi yearly). Is your wife aware that it's a diesel? My wife was strongly against it after we had 1 diesel VW that gave us a lot of issues. I can understand Europeans use it for their prices are 3 times higher for fuel, but they are willing to put up with it for savings, but in US/Canada - where diesel price is roughly same as regular fuel - why the heck do you even considering tractor lol? Ok, sorry, it's not of my business, just asking
Yeah, my dad has an X3 28d. I've driven it a few times and simply can't argue with the fuel economy.

I have test driven both 35d and 35i. I do like them both. It's been a while since I looked at the numbers, but thought I recalled a pretty decent difference still. Not to mention the comparison should be between the price of diesel and premium gas. Point well taken in any case. If I can find a good diesel, I'll pounce. Otherwise...
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #33
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

OP, you should be able to find out which panels were repainted by running your fingers on the edges of the panels, or simply running a Paint Thickness Gauge and see where the levels spike/drop significantly.
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #34
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
OP, you should be able to find out which panels were repainted by running your fingers on the edges of the panels, or simply running a Paint Thickness Gauge and see where the levels spike/drop significantly.
Learn something new everyday!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #35
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
I have come across what would pretty much be my dream X5 (coming from an e90) but today I learned via carproof that it has an estimated $15k in repairs due to a front-center collision.

Still worth considering or avoid like the plague?
Its probably a similar gamble to buying gas station sushi. You could be delightfully surprised, or you could end up with botulism.
      08-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
TyantA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Its probably a similar gamble to buying gas station sushi. You could be delightfully surprised, or you could end up with botulism.
Hah! And that's something I'd never entertain... so there's my answer folks I have in fact moved on. (Coming back from holidays and having significantly less time to stew over such things helped). Looks like they may have moved it anyway.
Appreciate 0