BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Dealer reset brake mile service counters without replacing them

I've just had my 4th oil service, along with vehicle check and brake fluid change at about 35,000 miles under the 4 yrs/50,000 miles BMW maintenance program. Before the service, iDrive/Status/Service required and also dealer key fob reader showed rear and front brake pads service requred in about 3,000 and 8,000 miles, receptively. When picking up car, dealer said the brakes still good with rear and front pads measured as 8mm and 10mm, respectively, so nothing was done with them. But I noticed that iDrive/Status/Service required for the rear and front brake pad shows counters as 15,000 miles and 21,000 miles, repectively. With these new brake service due counters, most likely I won't get brake pads/rotors replaced free of charge before 4 yrs/50,000 miles BMW maintenance expires next year. I understand dealer thinks the brakes are still good and don't need to be changed now, but I'm not happy they change/reset their counters. SA says the resets are part of vehicle check. I disagree because vehicle check, brake fluid, and brake pads all have their own service counters.

Is anything we can do about this kind of practice? Is this right or fraud dealer changes/resets brake pad service counters without changing them? Can they be changed back? Should we be serious with dealer and BMW about this. Would like hear your opinions/suggestions to deal with this.

Thank you.

Last edited by milkyway; 08-14-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
mrseattle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

I have a 50i M Sport, with 40k on the ticker. The status was showing that both rear and front pads are due at 3,200 miles - but it was stuck on that number for a long time. When I took it in for brake fluid and oil change, I had them check - and the measurements are 8mm rear and 12 mm front - they said they would only replace the pads when they were 3mm or less. They reset the status to some ridiculous number for both, like 27K. As I gathered from the SA, that status is informational only.
Appreciate 1
spike5150421.50
      08-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Had that happen to me as well. Was told that those counters are for informational/reminder purposes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseattle View Post
I have a 50i M Sport, with 40k on the ticker. The status was showing that both rear and front pads are due at 3,200 miles - but it was stuck on that number for a long time. When I took it in for brake fluid and oil change, I had them check - and the measurements are 8mm rear and 12 mm front - they said they would only replace the pads when they were 3mm or less. They reset the status to some ridiculous number for both, like 27K. As I gathered from the SA, that status is informational only.
Mine are currently stuck at 3,200 also. Have been there for at least 10k miles. Have 46k on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

Stuck at 3,100 also for almost 8 months. Took it in for an oil change and mentioned I was feeling some wobble under braking. Got the "we can't replace them until the CBS says they are within the replacement window, so we'll cut (turn/level) the rotors." Got a call later that day that the service tech confirmed the vibration, but there wasn't enough material to level the rotors and still be in spec, so they are putting new brakes all around on the 21st. I have 40k on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Dealer service manager talked with technician working on the car and telling me that, BMW has a TSB to adjust brake CBS mile numbers based actual brake usages/remainings because the brake CBS mile numbers can be very off, and need to be adjusted based on actual usage. If you don't drive/brake very hard, you most likely won't get them replaced within 4 yr/50,000 miles free of charge at all. The last resort to know the pads/rotors need to be replaced is the brake pad sensor/light on.

So, I have to not make big deal about it. Apprecicate everybody's inputs and sharing your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Slightly off-topic, but what about oil change service counter - can it be trusted or it's same as brakes not too reliable?
Also, do we even have transmission oil, coolant, transfer case reminders? I'm still trying to find a good official BMW maintenance schedule for 50i - if anyone can point me to any link it would be very much appreciated! I've searched BMW website, but to no avail
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
I've just had my 4th oil service, along with vehicle check and brake fluid change at about 35,000 miles under the 4 yrs/50,000 miles BMW maintenance program. Before the service, iDrive/Status/Service required and also dealer key fob reader showed rear and front brake pads service requred in about 3,000 and 8,000 miles, receptively. When picking up car, dealer said the brakes still good with rear and front pads measured as 8mm and 10mm, respectively, so nothing was done with them. But I noticed that iDrive/Status/Service required for the rear and front brake pad shows counters as 15,000 miles and 21,000 miles, repectively. With these new brake service due counters, most likely I won't get brake pads/rotors replaced free of charge before 4 yrs/50,000 miles BMW maintenance expires next year. I understand dealer thinks the brakes are still good and don't need to be changed now, but I'm not happy they change/reset their counters. SA says the resets are part of vehicle check. I disagree because vehicle check, brake fluid, and brake pads all have their own service counters.

Is anything we can do about this kind of practice? Is this right or fraud dealer changes/resets brake pad service counters without changing them? Can they be changed back? Should we be serious with dealer and BMW about this. Would like hear your opinions/suggestions to deal with this.

Thank you.
This is the right practice. Even if you were out of warranty/service they would do the same. Car alarms the brakes should be changed not based on any sensor, it is a calculation done by the car. Service measures the thickness of the brakes manually and then enters the value in the system and the NEW estimated change is calculated. My coverage does include all services except brakes and discs change, car showed brakes are due, they checked and entered new values...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Slightly off-topic, but what about oil change service counter - can it be trusted or it's same as brakes not too reliable?
Also, do we even have transmission oil, coolant, transfer case reminders? I'm still trying to find a good official BMW maintenance schedule for 50i - if anyone can point me to any link it would be very much appreciated! I've searched BMW website, but to no avail
I think the oil change intervals should be adhered to. Sorry cannot really recommend anyone.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Dealer service manager talked with technician working on the car and telling me that, BMW has a TSB to adjust brake CBS mile numbers based actual brake usages/remainings because the brake CBS mile numbers can be very off, and need to be adjusted based on actual usage. If you don't drive/brake very hard, you most likely won't get them replaced within 4 yr/50,000 miles free of charge at all. The last resort to know the pads/rotors need to be replaced is the brake pad sensor/light on.

So, I have to not make big deal about it. Apprecicate everybody's inputs and sharing your experiences.
Consider this (I've owned BMW's for a long time): All of my previous BMW's had to have new brakes at 25k or 30k miles. The fact that brake performance hasn't changed and you get an extra 15-20k miles out of them is a good thing, especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time as your brake replacements will be fewer over the life of the car.
Appreciate 0