BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #23
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

If your X5 is new you should have the squeak & rattles warranty for the 1st year. I had the hatch rattling on my 2014 and kept bringing it back to the dealer till they fixed it. When it came back more recently I played with the round bumpers that someone above already mentioned and included a photo of. In my case unscrewing those bumpers as far as they would go (yes, unscrewing) did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Thread bump, still looking for anyone who has successfully resolved the center AC vent noise at start up. I know if I don't go to the dealer armed with the exact solution, they'll install a bunch of parts that won't fix it, claim it's fixed, and scratch up my interior in the process.

Here's a link to a video of the issue someone posted over on Bimmerfest. https://www.youtube.com/embed/MxSqDMVq_Fw
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #25
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X3=5 View Post
Thread bump, still looking for anyone who has successfully resolved the center AC vent noise at start up. I know if I don't go to the dealer armed with the exact solution, they'll install a bunch of parts that won't fix it, claim it's fixed, and scratch up my interior in the process.

Here's a link to a video of the issue someone posted over on Bimmerfest. https://www.youtube.com/embed/MxSqDMVq_Fw
Interesting, I don't have something like that. I'm currently at Arizona and it's really hot outside, so AC is on permanently. My x5 MY is 2014 March - one of early productions
I'll try to listen carefully next time during start up - is it really subtle or noticeable easily?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Easily noticeable. For me it's only when the AC is on that I've noticed. Quite a few people said they were having the same problem over on the Bimmerfest thread, and that the dealer had tried various fixes which didn't work. There was no solution posted.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #27
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:

It cannot be fixed!

There are A/C goblins that live in the vents and they make noise when they like!

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
carks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M

squeaky dash

so I have the same issue with "vent noise" when my X5 M is warm-worst when sitting outside on a hot day. I understand SOME "cracks" as the temp is brought down, but for a 6 figure purchase...
I have played around with the trim when this is happening-for my ride, it doesn't appear to be the vents but instead it is the wood trim (around the vents and across the front of the dash). While it certainly appears to be temp related, I don't understand why the noise is so prevalent. I previously owned a 2011 550i and it was the most well built, quality car I have ever owned. Not a peep or squeak. I plan to discuss with my dealer, and will post any updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #29
xerisys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Have a look at my post here: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=10

Might be the same issue that I had. The small clips holding the rear bumper (just under lower hatch) were rubbing each time I went over anything at an angle (eg car park ramps, driveway). A little grease and some plastic inserts fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #30
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

There is a SERVICE BULLETIN and a fix for the cracking/popping sounds from the vents. When I was complaining (again!!!) about poor A/C performance in my '17 F15, my dealer (Rusnak in Westlake Village) told me there is an official BMW Service Bulletin for the noises coming from the vents!
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
JMAN1111227.00
      11-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #31
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
There is a SERVICE BULLETIN and a fix for the cracking/popping sounds from the vents. When I was complaining (again!!!) about poor A/C performance in my '17 F15, my dealer (Rusnak in Westlake Village) told me there is an official BMW Service Bulletin for the noises coming from the vents!
Does anyone have the TSB for this? I have the same issue on my X6.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Reviving this thread because my X5 now has this crackling noise from the center dash vents for 10-20 seconds at each start up. There's a thread over at Bimmerfest about this as well, with no resolution posted, just several things the dealer tried that didn't work. I'm hoping someone who has this vent crackling sound has had it resolved and can share what the fix was.
Things expand when they get hot. They contract when they get cold. When multiple things are in contact with each other, they'll likely expand and contract in different directions and in different amounts. What you're hearing is a bunch of hot dashboard parts getting blasted with really cold AC air and pulling and pushing against each other, and all the contact points moving around ever so slightly and giving off some sound. As time goes on and they've moved around thousands of times, they'll likely move more freely and make more noise due to the chafing and burrs that build up.

Two solutions. A.) Trade for a new car every time you hear a squeak. The new car will probably have at least one squeak, but it'll take you a while to notice it. You'll have a couple of weeks of perceived squeakless nirvana. B.) Switch to riding a horse. They don't squeak at all, as long as you ride bareback.
      11-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #33
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerisys View Post
Have a look at my post here: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=10

Might be the same issue that I had. The small clips holding the rear bumper (just under lower hatch) were rubbing each time I went over anything at an angle (eg car park ramps, driveway). A little grease and some plastic inserts fixed it.
I think I have the same issue once in a while. Thanks for the link.

Another noise source I tracked down was the sliding cargo lash-down hooks on the floor in the back. Tried a bunch of different positions, and even put little felt pads on them to try to get rid of the rattle they make on certain bumps. Solved the problem by taking them out of the tracks and wrapping them in a microfiber cloth and stashing them in the little pocket on the side. I seldom use them and when I do I only need a couple. Well worth the peace and quiet.
      11-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #34
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Two solutions. A.) Trade for a new car every time you hear a squeak. The new car will probably have at least one squeak, but it'll take you a while to notice it. You'll have a couple of weeks of perceived squeakless nirvana. B.) Switch to riding a horse. They don't squeak at all, as long as you ride bareback.
Congrats, you win the condescending boomer award for today.

The F16 is the first BMW I've ever owned with this many creaks, squeaks, vibrations and other assorted irritations.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #35
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
The OP totally had it coming. Cracking sounds out of a hot dash for 10-20 seconds after you first turn on the AC? A "rich guy" problem, and you've got to be a complete mechanical dunce for that to bother or puzzle you. What's next, a complaint that he can't hear his wife screaming at him when he puts the windows up?
      11-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #36
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
The OP totally had it coming. Cracking sounds out of a hot dash for 10-20 seconds after you first turn on the AC? A "rich guy" problem, and you've got to be a complete mechanical dunce for that to bother or puzzle you. What's next, a complaint that he can't hear his wife screaming at him when he puts the windows up?
Like I said, this is not my first car, nor first BMW, with air-conditioning. I live in a very hot part of the world, and I have never experienced this noise out of the HVAC system at startup. My three last cars, before the F16, were all F-generation cars, none of which did this.

On top of this, there seems to be a TSB out for this. I think it's pretty much safe to say that this is not nominal.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #37
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like I said, this is not my first car, nor first BMW, with air-conditioning. I live in a very hot part of the world, and I have never experienced this noise out of the HVAC system at startup. My three last cars, before the F16, were all F-generation cars, none of which did this.

On top of this, there seems to be a TSB out for this. I think it's pretty much safe to say that this is not nominal.
I seriously doubt they'd do a TSB for this, given that it's so minor and clears up so fast, and nobody's posted links for one.

I haven't owned a car yet - out of the 30-some that I've owned - that didn't make at least some minor creaks/squeaks/clicks when the AC or heat/defrost first fired up and the interior temp went up or down 60 to 80 degrees - like starting the car when it's -25. I live in an area where the highest high temp and the lowest low are 125 degrees F apart, which is probably a way more extreme temperature range than your area ever experiences.
      08-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #38
BigBear712
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 M sport

My 2015 X5 is squeaking and driving me crazy. Given how wide spread this is, how do we turn this into a recall event. I spent $70K+ for my car. It should not squeak. My driver’s side door is squeaking now. BMW must have fixed the rear hatch last time I took it in for an oil change, because that is not squeaking anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #39
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear712 View Post
My 2015 X5 is squeaking and driving me crazy. Given how wide spread this is, how do we turn this into a recall event. I spent $70K+ for my car. It should not squeak. My driver’s side door is squeaking now. BMW must have fixed the rear hatch last time I took it in for an oil change, because that is not squeaking anymore.
I for one will never buy another BMW build in Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0