BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #23
BM635
Private
Rep
Drives: E24 635CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
@stupot, no worry. Thanks for your input. It will sure helps other forum members.
I have yet to experience the installation on the 35d and 50i.
Maybe someone local willing to let me work on their car, so I can update the DIY.
Hi, while on the subject of installing parts on the front bumper, is installation of the M Performance front splitter a bumper off job?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

@R33:

Grille Fins installed and I am so happy it was done. Makes a big difference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@busta1978, Looks Great. Especially with the non reflector by default bumper.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978
@R33:

Love it, looks great, the 21's finish it off nicely too.

I've noticed that the newer white X5's are coming with the white rivets holding on the wheel arch part of the bodykit, looks much better. The earlier whites had black rivets and it looked terrible, like it had been shot at.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978
@R33:

Awesome. Doing it too in a week, too good to pass. r33 said its one of the best mods he made. Since then everytime i look at the car i miss them
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #28
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80
Just FYI, my shop used a little epoxy glue to attach the trim piece to the bumper so it doesn't "flex" as much. It flexes a bit if just the rivets are used.
Hi, can you please specify which epoxy glue? Plastic to plastic?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #29
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80
Just FYI, my shop used a little epoxy glue to attach the trim piece to the bumper so it doesn't "flex" as much. It flexes a bit if just the rivets are used.
Hi, can you please specify which epoxy glue? Plastic to plastic?
This is the glue BMW uses for this purpose. It is also listed as needed in their file on the rivets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Another photo, part #83192317925 ; Klebstoff-Set K6. Thanks for everyone who helped me with this. Am sure I will like the results
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

You are so right, such a nightmare to do this, like unbeliveable. One side is now done (right one from driver seat point of view). I did not dare to disconnect any pipes, or something like that. I only managed to get two locks in from the inside (far right and far left). Will do the other side tomorrow. I good friend of mine helped me, which was helpful (very).

How difficult was the other side on your diesel? If I purchase the open lower part do I need to set up the sensors for the parking?

I of course also used glue I posted, it seems really strong.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot View Post
r33 thank you very much for this thread.

If ok with you I will add a few things from my own experience.

This is a serious serious pain if you have a diesel, as has been noted, if you have a d there is something big and immovable blocking access to the rear of the grill on one side, to fit the locking washers to the rear of the new trim.

I would class myself as reasonably handy and had no problem whipping the wheel off and removing the wheel arch liner but I would say it’s almost impossible to do just by removing the wheel arch liner and am curious how anyone else has managed it, so please share anyone else that has attempted this.

I managed to get one washer on from the wheel arch but couldn’t reach in any further to the other three. After much fiddling I managed to disconnect the cold air feed pipe from the lower middle grill to the brakes, this let me come in from the other side and get 2 of the washers on. The third washer remains unconnected; I just couldn’t see any way in without major surgery. I don’t know whether the bumper would need to come off, or if the headlight could come out, or if you could remove trim to come up from below, but I am not willing to go that far as there seemed no obvious way to me, so I hope it holds with just the three!

Other side a doddle as per r33’s excellent instructions.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #32
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
You are so right, such a nightmare to do this, like unbeliveable. One side is now done (right one from driver seat point of view). I did not dare to disconnect any pipes, or something like that. I only managed to get two locks in from the inside (far right and far left). Will do the other side tomorrow. I good friend of mine helped me, which was helpful (very).

How difficult was the other side on your diesel? If I purchase the open lower part do I need to set up the sensors for the parking?

Cheers!

Quote:

This is a serious serious pain if you have a diesel, as has been noted, if you have a d there is something big and immovable blocking access to the rear of the grill on one side, to fit the locking washers to the rear of the new trim.

I would class myself as reasonably handy and had no problem whipping the wheel off and removing the wheel arch liner but I would say its almost impossible to do just by removing the wheel arch liner and am curious how anyone else has managed it, so please share anyone else that has attempted this.

I managed to get one washer on from the wheel arch but couldnt reach in any further to the other three. After much fiddling I managed to disconnect the cold air feed pipe from the lower middle grill to the brakes, this let me come in from the other side and get 2 of the washers on. The third washer remains unconnected; I just couldnt see any way in without major surgery. I dont know whether the bumper would need to come off, or if the headlight could come out, or if you could remove trim to come up from below, but I am not willing to go that far as there seemed no obvious way to me, so I hope it holds with just the three!

Other side a doddle as per r33s excellent instructions.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Other side is very easy. Nothing in the way, all 4 washer things on and tight.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #33
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Any idea how long the DIY version took to install? My dealer did it in 30 minutes.

Does that grill trim come in a darker color? Is that dark grey? I'm looking to change the kidney grill trim to a darker color than the chrome on my wife's X5D, but also like those fins on the lower bumper too. Is this for both? Can the dealer install both? Anyone know how much?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Does that grill trim come in a darker color? Is that dark grey? I'm looking to change the kidney grill trim to a darker color than the chrome on my wife's X5D, but also like those fins on the lower bumper too. Is this for both? Can the dealer install both? Anyone know how much?
Hi. Apologies but this could be confusing. I swapped just my chrome kidney grilles for the M Performance black ones, which the UK dealer swapped out for <£300 and took well under the hour.
I have the Carbon Black M Sport so now the exterior has no chrome - I think it has more presence and looks different, in a good way.

I looked at the BMW Store on bmw.co.uk and also ebay.co.uk where BMW have a comprehensive parts catalogue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #35
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Any idea how long the DIY version took to install? My dealer did it in 30 minutes.

The grill trim only comes in 1 color, in gray.
Dealer should be able to install them all.
I just send you the PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #36
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot
Quote:

Cheers!

Quote:

I would class myself as reasonably handy and had no problem whipping the wheel off and removing the wheel arch liner but I would say its almost impossible to do just by removing the wheel arch liner and am curious how anyone else has managed it, so please share anyone else that has attempted this.

I managed to get one washer on from the wheel arch but couldnt reach in any further to the other three. After much fiddling I managed to disconnect the cold air feed pipe from the lower middle grill to the brakes, this let me come in from the other side and get 2 of the washers on. The third washer remains unconnected; I just couldnt see any way in without major surgery. I dont know whether the bumper would need to come off, or if the headlight could come out, or if you could remove trim to come up from below, but I am not willing to go that far as there seemed no obvious way to me, so I hope it holds with just the three!

Other side a doddle as per r33s excellent instructions.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Other side is very easy. Nothing in the way, all 4 washer things on and tight.
Other side was fairly easy, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #37
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@1230vani,
The diesel is harder on the passenger side as there is the AdBlue tank sitting behind it. I did got first hand experience when installing for one of the forum member X5 35d. He changed the grill into an open grill, so I uses the opened section to stick my finger in and push the locking ring into place.
I tried opening up the bottom cover, but it didn't help me much in securing the locking ring. One thing that I didn't give it a try and I just recently thought of it. Maybe by taking off all of the screw holding the bottom of the bumper to the chassis will allow you to push the bumper out a little bit and reach in to place the locking ring.
But, looks like your glue and 2 locking rings are holding up.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #38
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
@1230vani,
The diesel is harder on the passenger side as there is the AdBlue tank sitting behind it. I did got first hand experience when installing for one of the forum member X5 35d. He changed the grill into an open grill, so I uses the opened section to stick my finger in and push the locking ring into place.
I tried opening up the bottom cover, but it didn't help me much in securing the locking ring. One thing that I didn't give it a try and I just recently thought of it. Maybe by taking off all of the screw holding the bottom of the bumper to the chassis will allow you to push the bumper out a little bit and reach in to place the locking ring.
But, looks like your glue and 2 locking rings are holding up.
Thank you, its all locked in now. I like the result, but it was so much work that i would not do it again (e.g. If i bought another X5 in the near future). Your idea is good but who knows what is under there when u unscrew the bottom of the bumper. Thanks for your feedback, by the way this glue is ultra strong industry glue and it is best to buy two of them for both sides or glue them and stick them in at the same time because it will dry out fast. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #39
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Photos of the righthand side where the adblu tank is (had no clue before r33 told me what it was). This some type of foam that surrounds adblu tank and you cannot remove it from this side, only from the top. Did not go there. The right breather i dislocated from the inside and then got some room to put in the far right lock. Buy many of these locks if you try to do it yourself method. Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #40
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Happy with the end result . Would I go through this again? Don't think so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #41
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Happy with the end result . Would I go through this again? Don't think so.
Looks beautiful! Every time you guys make the Space Grey look better, a part of me wishes I got this color (my second choice), especially considering my current work in progress . Nice job, Ivan .
      08-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #42
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Looks beautiful! Every time you guys make the Space Grey look better, a part of me wishes I got this color (my second choice), especially considering my current work in progress . Nice job, Ivan .
Thank you. Color is great, but boring as my previous car also was space gray, my advice to all is to change the color, as it gets boring after a while. I would go probably for white next time around! It will sound silly to some, but the hood stands out when you drive and is cool to see it in front of you. With space gray it kinda blends in with the road. These M50d stripes look awesome on a white car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Thank you. Color is great, but boring as my previous car also was space gray, my advice to all is to change the color, as it gets boring after a while. I would go probably for white next time around! It will sound silly to some, but the hood stands out when you drive and is cool to see it in front of you. With space gray it kinda blends in with the road. These M50d stripes look awesome on a white car.
True, I can see your point regarding the road and wanting to try a different color. I still love my Mineral White, but I appreciate the other colors you guys all have, especially after the great pics!
      08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #44
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@1230vani, it looks great.
I have seen it in any colors combo and it still looks a very nice addition.
Without it, the front bumper looks incomplete.
Appreciate 0