BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #23
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I wish you could leave the color blue all the time; that looks awesome. To me, the red/orange in sport mode screams "you shouldn't be doing this!"
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #24
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
Great write up @Opasha - thank you for generously taking your time to write such detailed information & instructions. I linked my original 6WB thread over here so folks can see how this is actually achievable.

@1230vani - that is one sweet ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Nicely done Opasha!
Thanks guys!

Also, thanks to Shawn, I just fixed that annoying 12/2001 date issue for the brakes. You leave your door open, hit AC POWER on (hit start once), and then hold the Kombi button (little button on the instrument left corner). It will take you straight to the CBS menu and display out of the services, whichever needs to be reset. I reset it by holding the option and then was able to keep tapping to view the other services and when they will be needed as shown also in the iDrive > Vehicle Info > Service. Now, all are green OKs .
      09-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I wish you could leave the color blue all the time; that looks awesome. To me, the red/orange in sport mode screams "you shouldn't be doing this!"
Yeah, I drove with the blue only this morning, and man it was so nice to look at...I was getting distracted! It really blends nicely with the blue ambient led lighting. I'm glad they did these color changes. They look really really nice. You'll love it on your X6!
      09-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

woow great BRAVO.... opasha, now i feel more confident if i buy this upgrade.

some questions.

1.- after you fix the services problem, you got the original times you have before you put the new 6wb?

2.- what about taking your car to the dealer for service or something if the look the new cluester they will freak out and then wooww. what about warranty problems, if they update something do you loose the coding? anf have to code again everything?

3.- i gues it can put the lenguage in spanish and km instead of mph right?

4.- thank again and tell us if you have another issue or something and the fix of course .

god job men.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Thanks guys!

Also, thanks to Shawn, I just fixed that annoying 12/2001 date issue for the brakes. You leave your door open, hit AC POWER on (hit start once), and then hold the Kombi button (little button on the instrument left corner). It will take you straight to the CBS menu and display out of the services, whichever needs to be reset. I reset it by holding the option and then was able to keep tapping to view the other services and when they will be needed as shown also in the iDrive > Vehicle Info > Service. Now, all are green OKs .

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #28
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Fantastic!
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
woow great BRAVO.... opasha, now i feel more confident if i buy this upgrade.

some questions.

1.- after you fix the services problem, you got the original times you have before you put the new 6wb?

2.- what about taking your car to the dealer for service or something if the look the new cluester they will freak out and then wooww. what about warranty problems, if they update something do you loose the coding? anf have to code again everything?

3.- i gues it can put the lenguage in spanish and km instead of mph right?

4.- thank again and tell us if you have another issue or something and the fix of course .

god job men.
Thanks, buddy.

1) Yeah, all issues were cleared. The Date/Time gets erased when you VO Code Dekombi. You also get the random chassis error, but this is all easily cleared in the beginning (settings for Date and Time in iDrive) and clear all dtcs with the transmitter application. Then if you get the Brake Fluid type issues from 2001 or some farfetched previous date, you just follow what I did using the Kombi button. This gives you access to the service reset menus and you browse by tapping once and hold to select your option. When finished you just tap your Power button to turn it off and you're good to go.

2) Shawn answered this correctly below. Whenever a dealer does a full software update, you lose your FDL coding. You do not lose your VO coding. So the only thing you have to code, to the best of my knowledge, is just whatever fdl coding you lost.

3) The language setting and mph changes are in iDrive menu in settings if I remember correctly.

Last edited by opasha; 09-26-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It can't be retrofitted by a Dealer because they can only make "official" retrofits, with which BMW AG would update the official Vehicle Order, and BMW AG does not offer 6WB as an official retrofit.

As for dealer Service, the only time it needs removal is if the dealer will program the car with ISTA/P.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Opasha. 3 words for you:

YOU

DA

MAN!!

Congratulations on the mod and thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #32
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Opasha, the panel looks great!
If you had the black panel with extended instrument cluster and HUD, do you think it's still worth the upgrade/mod?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Opasha. 3 words for you:

YOU

DA

MAN!!

Congratulations on the mod and thanks for the write up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Opasha, the panel looks great!
If you had the black panel with extended instrument cluster and HUD, do you think it's still worth the upgrade/mod?
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Seriously, everyone here in this community is great. I'm glad to always help!

I spoke in detail with Shawn about the 6WA extended cluster and the 6WB and in his opinion, it's not worth it. However, I love it and think it really adds to the car so for me it was worth it because I had the basic cluster without HUD. The only thing you lose is the ability to code HUD turn signals if you upgrade to the 6WB. Not sure why, but this is the case. So, if you absolutely love your HUD turn signal coding and have the extended cluster with HUD...don't upgrade.

I will make a video tonight for you guys so you can see it better on how it really looks. Pictures don't do it justice despite being a high quality camera. I think my movie mode will capture it much better. I can't drive with the camera because it's not a go pro and the noise level/vibration would detract from the quality.

On a side note: I'm very excited to be doing the other mods soon. My buddy is currently working on two projects before my car and I am waiting on the steering wheel completion, which was started on 9/17/14 and takes about 3-4 weeks to complete. It will be this steering wheel coming from Australia with Smooth Black Leather to match my black interior instead of the Alcantara with silver +/- shifter signs to match the aluminum center trim:

Right now, I'm also just waiting on my 3m film samples to decide between shades of satin close to the Alubeam Chrome Matte and Satin Grey (located in my wrap thread). Turns out, the Brembo brakes would cost me about $6400 front and rear with powder coat...so I might hold off on that and just powder coat my stock brakes in a red satin the way Rob@Strasse coated blue on his X5. My cousin told me that drilled rotors aren't good for winter...anyone have knowledge on this?

Do you guys think I should post a new thread for my new mods or should I just add it to my original vehicle thread?: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=974651. Thanks!
      09-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #34
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Seriously, everyone here in this community is great. I'm glad to always help!

I spoke in detail with Shawn about the 6WA extended cluster and the 6WB and in his opinion, it's not worth it. However, I love it and think it really adds to the car so for me it was worth it because I had the basic cluster without HUD. The only thing you lose is the ability to code HUD turn signals if you upgrade to the 6WB. Not sure why, but this is the case. So, if you absolutely love your HUD turn signal coding and have the extended cluster with HUD...don't upgrade.

I will make a video tonight for you guys so you can see it better on how it really looks. Pictures don't do it justice despite being a high quality camera. I think my movie mode will capture it much better. I can't drive with the camera because it's not a go pro and the noise level/vibration would detract from the quality.

On a side note: I'm very excited to be doing the other mods soon. My buddy is currently working on two projects before my car and I am waiting on the steering wheel completion, which was started on 9/17/14 and takes about 3-4 weeks to complete. It will be this steering wheel coming from Australia with Smooth Black Leather to match my black interior instead of the Alcantara with silver +/- shifter signs to match the aluminum center trim:

Right now, I'm also just waiting on my 3m film samples to decide between shades of satin close to the Alubeam Chrome Matte and Satin Grey (located in my wrap thread). Turns out, the Brembo brakes would cost me about $6400 front and rear with powder coat...so I might hold off on that and just powder coat my stock brakes in a red satin the way Rob@Strasse coated blue on his X5. My cousin told me that drilled rotors aren't good for winter...anyone have knowledge on this?

Do you guys think I should post a new thread for my new mods or should I just add it to my original vehicle thread?: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=974651. Thanks!
Omar absolutely amazing, thanks for having such awesome write up and detailed step by step visualization. I wonder if you can take a pic of 6WB in action when navigation is on? What's the central cluster looked like? Do all directions now display in the center with better graphic?

I love the steering wheel too, it's high priority on my list since I miss that thick m steering wheel from my previous Bmw.

Excellent work again!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #35
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
Omar absolutely amazing, thanks for having such awesome write up and detailed step by step visualization. I wonder if you can take a pic of 6WB in action when navigation is on? What's the central cluster looked like? Do all directions now display in the center with better graphic?

I love the steering wheel too, it's high priority on my list since I miss that thick m steering wheel from my previous Bmw.

Excellent work again!
Thanks a lot, Wei!

I was going to make a video, but I'll save it for tomorrow morning and try to show the navi directions with it as well. Hopefully it's not too shaky as I drive, lol.

Yeah, man, I can't wait to start the next stuff. Patience is a virtue, right?

Also, I decided to powder coat my brakes instead because the stock brakes are pretty good and still brand new. I'm going to use them to their full life before thinking about replacing. It just seems most cost effect at the moment given all of the mods I'm doing.
      09-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@cy07, here's how the navigation arrows/info look in the cluster...obviously more information will pop up for streets etc when you drive closer to your route turns.

Here's a VIDEO of all three modes in Day Time mode. I had the navigation on set to a bmw dealership about 60 miles away from me, so it was telling me to make a right to leave my neighborhood. The quality of the screen is MUCH crisper than my video. I used my Camera but the video kept defaulting to some lower quality mode along with the noise level/disturbance of my hand not being as steady as a tripod - that's why it doesn't appear as clear, sorry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqwmrubmod..._0518.MP4?dl=0
      09-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are some more pics of 6WB with Nav displayed:

Name:  6WB_Kombi_1 (1).jpg
Views: 4975
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  6WB_Kombi_2 (1).jpg
Views: 4717
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  6WB_Kombi_3 (1).jpg
Views: 4815
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  6WB_Kombi_4 (1).jpg
Views: 7018
Size:  51.9 KB

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #38
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
@cy07, here's how the navigation arrows/info look in the cluster...obviously more information will pop up for streets etc when you drive closer to your route turns.

Here's a VIDEO of all three modes in Day Time mode. I had the navigation on set to a bmw dealership about 60 miles away from me, so it was telling me to make a right to leave my neighborhood. The quality of the screen is MUCH crisper than my video. I used my Camera but the video kept defaulting to some lower quality mode along with the noise level/disturbance of my hand not being as steady as a tripod - that's why it doesn't appear as clear, sorry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqwmrubmod..._0518.MP4?dl=0
Awesome, looks just awesome.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #39
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

As always, your X is looking great!
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #40
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
As always, your X is looking great!
Thanks, Bill!
      09-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #41
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Many thanks, I'd added this to my F16 M50d order 3 weeks ago and i'm now really glad.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #42
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

I took this screen grab from BMW Germany. Apparently this is an option in many other markets:

Appreciate 2
      09-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #43
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Opasha you are a BMW God!

I may have missed it, but how long did it take you to do this and are there any implications on BMW Warranty if it all goes Pete Tong?
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #44
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
Many thanks, I'd added this to my F16 M50d order 3 weeks ago and i'm now really glad.
You're very welcome. Good decision!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
I took this screen grab from BMW Germany. Apparently this is an option in many other markets:

Someone from Saudi has it in theirs straight from their order. The way BMW options work really annoys me. Oh well, at least I was able to put it in .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Opasha you are a BMW God!

I may have missed it, but how long did it take you to do this and are there any implications on BMW Warranty if it all goes Pete Tong?
Thanks, Baunton . The cluster removal only takes about 5-10 minutes if you do it correctly - that's why I did this whole write-up so it doesn't take people an hour trying to figure out what to take apart and how. It took me about 1.5 hours total with coding and pictures because I was trying to capture every step possible. If you follow my instructions though, you should not have a very difficult time at all. My instructions are very straightforward highlighting tips etc that I had to figure out first hand.

There are no issues with warranty. This system is an OEM part. The only time you have to take it out for service is as Shawn mentioned above regarding the dealer doing ISTA/P diagnostic reprogramming - I think this is specifically for deeper issues or big problems. Here's more info about ISTA:

The ISTA program is BMW’s aftermarket diagnostics and reprogramming software that is designed to use the J2534 API interface to provide OEM level capabilities. The ISTA application consists of several functionally oriented system components that communicate with each other, offering various features and functions, through an Internet connected Client/Server arrangement.

ISTA offers powerful BMW and Mini vehicle diagnostic (ISTA/D) and reprogramming (ISTA/P) capabilities, with various options for vehicle identification for highly specific information searches and guided troubleshooting.

Last edited by opasha; 09-28-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0