BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #23
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Much as I love War Birds and especially those powered by the mighty mighty RR Merlin (which my father worked on in WW2 as an engineer on Lancasters) back to the question on the thread; I must be alone here. I have never ever had to top up the oil on any of the Beemers I have owned or my wife's 1 and 3 Series diesels. This includes my F15, previous E70 and three 5 Series before.

Whereas my wife's Evoque and previous Freelander get through a pint a year - that's British design and build for you
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #24
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I may get a slightly used 911 on my next purchase or a Cayman S
Cayman /Boxster are the best handling pair due to the mid engine configuration. They are built on the same chassis as the 911s, but thy just turn the engine 180 degrees. Porsche marketing keeps the HP intentionally lower so as not to steal sales from the more expensive 911.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #25
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Much as I love War Birds and especially those powered by the mighty mighty RR Merlin (which my father worked on in WW2 as an engineer on Lancasters) back to the question on the thread; I must be alone here. I have never ever had to top up the oil on any of the Beemers I have owned or my wife's 1 and 3 Series diesels. This includes my F15, previous E70 and three 5 Series before.

Whereas my wife's Evoque and previous Freelander get through a pint a year - that's British design and build for you
I changed the oil in my 35d at 5500 mi and it had not used any. I think people make too much of a little oil use - just drive it and don't worry
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #26
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
When you're part of the Commemorative Air Force here in the Atlanta area, you can make statements like this. I think there are only 3 airworthy SBDs in the world. Soon, our P-63 will be flying and will be one of only 2 or 3 - it was built in 1945. We have a Corsair from 1944 that will rock your radial world. And I used to work on the P-51 Allison's motor and got to fly from the back seat once - did some basic aerobatics too. Even though the SBD is historically more important, the P-51 is the money maker at air shows. Simply awesome.

Come out to this year's Great Georgia Air Show in October and see all of them. I'll be one of the air marshals and be glad to show you around.

http://www.dixiewing.org

Back on topic - we use A LOT of oil, measured by the barrel.
I got to ride in a Stearman p17 one fine Saturday, and even took the controls for a bit - no aerobatics though, but the open cockpit flying was a real thrill
Appreciate 1