BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
brucedu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i F15 M Fully loaded

Anyone know something about lemon law?

Long story...My 15 x5 keep having issue with the GPS after they delivered the car after few months. I took it back to the shop they told me was the software issue, after a 2 days of inspection by the dealer, seems like the problem fixed. After maybe half year, the issue went back again, it's just keep losing my location on the map, its shown I was in the middle of the ocean when I was driving from Seattle to LA on the map, it drives me crazy . I took it to a different dealer where close by my place, they said was a antenna problem couldn't catch the signal from the satellite, so they replaced the antenna afterward, seems worked fine after a while. However, the fxxking disease came back again recently, I took it back to the dealer where I ordered it today, they were saying the antenna is working fine, but there is something wrong with the Idrive cannot work with the antenna, so they just decide to replaced the Idrive whole unit.... I talked with my sales, he said I can try the lemon law, but I have to give BMW NA a call to file a claim, once the case opened they can work with BMW find a solution. I just wondering is anyone in the form have any experience with the lemon law and any idea that I can proceed that? The photos I attached are the gps showing I was off the high way when I was driving on the high way...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

this is the first I've ever heard of this type of issue. From the aftermarket retrofit experience, they shouldn't just replace a single part, especially if you keep having issues. They need to replace the entire idrive, unit, all the receivers, everything.
      06-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
brucedu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
this is the first I've ever heard of this type of issue. From the aftermarket retrofit experience, they shouldn't just replace a single part, especially if you keep having issues. They need to replace the entire idrive, unit, all the receivers, everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I feel the same way, they could do much more than just replace the antenna or just update the software
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

You said the latest fix they tried was to replace the entire head unit. Are you still having the same issue now?
Lemon Law info abundantly available by searching, but in general, the same exact problem needs to be attempted to be fixed XX times (varies by state probably) along with your car being out of commission for YY days.
You can def start the process with corporate to get things officially documented, pulling the info from both dealers together in one place/file.
      06-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
brucedu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
You said the latest fix they tried was to replace the entire head unit. Are you still having the same issue now?
Lemon Law info abundantly available by searching, but in general, the same exact problem needs to be attempted to be fixed XX times (varies by state probably) along with your car being out of commission for YY days.
You can def start the process with corporate to get things officially documented, pulling the info from both dealers together in one place/file.
This is the 3rd time my car goes to the shop with the same issue and they decide to replace the whole unit this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
agreed, state laws vary based on those metrics you cited.

From what I heard, usually just a threat of "lemoning" a car with corporate usually prompts some type of major corrective action from them. So I would suggest if you're not married to the car and are open to driving a loaner until your permanent replacement shows up, then I would mention lemoning the car to BMWNA, and it'll probably get the process started on replacement.
      06-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucedu View Post
This is the 3rd time my car goes to the shop with the same issue and they decide to replace the whole unit this time.
Ah, so you haven't gotten the car back yet. I'll bet you'll be good to go with the new head unit and will experience no further issues. Keep us posted.
      06-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Definitely annoying, but let's hope it's fixed this time around.
Appreciate 1
brucedu18.50
      06-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I lemoned my Range Rover Sport.

The law varies by state so google it. In NY/NJ, the defect must impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle. I'm not sure if a gps issue qualifies.

Make sure your repair attempts are well documented. Have the dealer connect you with a regional person and esclate it until its resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I lemoned my Range Rover Sport.

The law varies by state so google it. In NY/NJ, the defect must impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle. I'm not sure if a gps issue qualifies.

Make sure your repair attempts are well documented. Have the dealer connect you with a regional person and esclate it until its resolved.
This is how most state's laws are. In addition, many don't require a new "like" replacement or repurchase without some cost to you.

If you are seriously considering going this route, you need to read as much as you can, including the actual law. If you still think you have a case, then contact an attorney who specializes in this area of law as they will be best equipped to argue terms like "reasonable" and "substantially".

You might want to start your reading with the Washington State Attorney's Web page

Hopefully all will be well after this next visit. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
brucedu18.50