BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Extended Warranty Cost Shocker

Mine is coming due so I spoke with my dealer and asked about the extended warranty. He quoted me a 6yr warranty for $5895. I normally drive between 12-13,000 miles per year and really have not had any issues with the vehicle. I'm probably just looking for the maintenance warranty instead of the BMW warranty but still...the coast of this will be quite high also.

What makes this kind of worse is that we live in a small town which is about 2 hrs away from the dealership, and around here not too many people have the knowledge to work on this type of vehicle.

Just trying to get a consensus on what others have done, either go it alone and bite the bullet if something happens, go with the maintenance warranty only or full BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

How much longer are you going to keep the car?

From there, it comes down to piece of mind. Not sure I will do it when mine get to that point, but I will probably only keep my current BMWs for 1 to 2 years beyond factory warranty and will have 60,000 or so miles.

For some, the 5.0 has had long term reliability issues. $6k can take care of a lot of small repairs or one relatively minor issue that is a PIA to fix.

On my 330i, I do a lot of my own work. For certain things, I just bite the bullet and pay my local dealership for it.

Then there is Murphy to deal with. Whatever can go wrong, will and at the worst time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Mine is coming due so I spoke with my dealer and asked about the extended warranty. He quoted me a 6yr warranty for $5895. I normally drive between 12-13,000 miles per year and really have not had any issues with the vehicle. I'm probably just looking for the maintenance warranty instead of the BMW warranty but still...the coast of this will be quite high also.

What makes this kind of worse is that we live in a small town which is about 2 hrs away from the dealership, and around here not too many people have the knowledge to work on this type of vehicle.

Just trying to get a consensus on what others have done, either go it alone and bite the bullet if something happens, go with the maintenance warranty only or full BMW warranty.
I would save the money and use it towards repairs when needed. If you are driving in a reasonable manner, you gotta have a ton of bad luck to spend that kind of money. Even with a turbo or transmission out, you may be a few thousand dollars down.

Now if you see signs of early trouble, I would trade into something with factory warranty left. Especially if you are not close to major cities.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I added the extended warranty when I bought our X, you have the most leverage during that negotiation. We're in a large competitive market but even 3 years later it would have been quite a bit more to add it at this time, that's one of the ways they get you.
Passed on the extended maintenance program, that is a no-brainer for us. Helps to have an "Indy" shop in the family.
      07-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I have to talk to the dealer business manager and see what else they can do. This is my second car from them so maybe I can get a discount of some kind. I really don't drive it all to hard plus the wife drives it the majority of the time. What kind of concerns me is that we really have not had any issues which I think is rare for this type of vehicle. My previous one had issues galore including the infamous battery drain issue. with so few miles driven I'm almost tempted to stash the money away as a "just in case" and drive it without a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

if you have the 35i, i wouldnt get the warranty.
35d? maybe
50i? definetly!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

If it's a 5.0 get the warranty. This car runs so hot that eventually everything wears out. Just replacing silly turbo coolant lines,that always leak, costs $2k.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
bimmerman14
bmw doctor
Rep
Drives: x7(kid hauler) 13 x550i 07328i

Make sure you get the warranty platinum coverage if you can These vehicles the repair cost add up very quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Alternatively, just get rid of the 50i once it's out of warranty or hold it out of warranty until something happens (and then you can make the choice to fix it or to ditch it without fixing anything).

I'll likely get rid of mine once the warranty is over. Thankfully, I got my car at one year old with CPO so I'm technically warrantied against the really expensive stuff through 6 years/100,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Be sure to review the details of the warranty to understand what it does and does not cover. It isn't an extension of the original warranty, but a different warranty that is considerably less comprehensive (even the most expensive variant available). For example, when I reviewed the available BMW warranties for our '14 X5d I discovered none include key emissions system components, an important aspect to me in appraising the value of these add-on warranties.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      07-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
jsebjimenez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:

I will use the $6k for a new lease/purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
XXX5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 50i M Sport

This is why a CPO 50i made sense to me. 6 years 100k with very few exclusions
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #13
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebjimenez View Post
I will use the $6k for a new lease/purchase.
Dealer was offering 11% off EW. Instead, I simply traded in 4 new, treated the EW/ext warranty cost as an opportunity cost. I thought it made money sense after working out the figures.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Just finished talking to the business manager at the dealership. He also offered just a maintenance warranty for 2 years for $2300, or $1300 for just one year. They also area Honda dealer so they offered a Honda Warranty for $5300 for 4 years, but said that there were stipulations. Will get an e-mail to clarify.

This whole thing got me thinking, if I got maintenance for 2 years I'll have a 6 year old car and there will be probably very little for vehicle trade in. Plus I found out that starting in 2017, BMW will no longer offer the "free" 4 year maintenance, it will be a 3 year 36000 warranty only.

Guys, after 4 BMW's the last 2 being X5 50i's, this just might be my last. If I do stay with my current car, I'll probably just get the maintenance package, hope it doesn't break and look at something else. I have under 40,000 miles and I looked at KBB book value on my car a 2014 and in excellent condition (which it really is) they're only showing a $41,000 value on a trade that was purchased for in the mid 80's back then. This car has virtually everything on it except lane departure and a few other small things. So I can imagine what this will be worth in 2/4 years down the road. I really like the car but...............................
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
jsebjimenez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Just finished talking to the business manager at the dealership. He also offered just a maintenance warranty for 2 years for $2300, or $1300 for just one year. They also area Honda dealer so they offered a Honda Warranty for $5300 for 4 years, but said that there were stipulations. Will get an e-mail to clarify.

This whole thing got me thinking, if I got maintenance for 2 years I'll have a 6 year old car and there will be probably very little for vehicle trade in. Plus I found out that starting in 2017, BMW will no longer offer the "free" 4 year maintenance, it will be a 3 year 36000 warranty only.

Guys, after 4 BMW's the last 2 being X5 50i's, this just might be my last. If I do stay with my current car, I'll probably just get the maintenance package, hope it doesn't break and look at something else. I have under 40,000 miles and I looked at KBB book value on my car a 2014 and in excellent condition (which it really is) they're only showing a $41,000 value on a trade that was purchased for in the mid 80's back then. This car has virtually everything on it except lane departure and a few other small things. So I can imagine what this will be worth in 2/4 years down the road. I really like the car but...............................
Quote:

That's why you are better buying a 2 year old car or leasing a new one. Don't buy a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Following this thread. We have a 2014 X5 5.0 Msport and approaching the end of the 4year warranty (November) with 47k miles.

My SA recommended I look into Fidelity for an extended warranty - but reading reviews of fidelity extended maintenance gives me chills about their claim approval percentage.

This is the wifeys car and she loves it. We've had a few issues, but mostly cosmetic and only serious issue was tie rods going so soon (which were replaced under warranty)

I know she wants to keep it but I don't want it to turn into a Money Pit.

Worth trading in for an X5 3.5? or perhaps just get a 2yr warranty coverage plan. Its fully loaded except for the active cruise control - and yes spent quite a bit of coin on this bad boy. Wife loves the Carbon Black/Nappa Mocha combo.

Any advice would be appreciated!
      07-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #17
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Happy wife = happy life
      07-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Look into this, Route 66 Extended Warranty, there's a few members in the 5series forum go it.
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #19
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I looked at the extended warranty and while it seems OK, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. I know that there is another post on this forum about the 50i batteries which I'm aware of already and the replacement of them after every other oil change. That in itself is stupid but something that need to be done. Here you have an upper 80 thousand vehicle and you either have to have a battery tender and/or changes the battery every other oil change. The more I think about it the more just a maintenance only for 2 years makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #20
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
Following this thread. We have a 2014 X5 5.0 Msport and approaching the end of the 4year warranty (November) with 47k miles.

My SA recommended I look into Fidelity for an extended warranty - but reading reviews of fidelity extended maintenance gives me chills about their claim approval percentage.

This is the wifeys car and she loves it. We've had a few issues, but mostly cosmetic and only serious issue was tie rods going so soon (which were replaced under warranty)

I know she wants to keep it but I don't want it to turn into a Money Pit.

Worth trading in for an X5 3.5? or perhaps just get a 2yr warranty coverage plan. Its fully loaded except for the active cruise control - and yes spent quite a bit of coin on this bad boy. Wife loves the Carbon Black/Nappa Mocha combo.

Any advice would be appreciated!
This is my second 50i and I can tell you that you will have some issues. Look at the main page on battery issues/replacement. If not the battery, there are tons of sensors that can and do go out (I have experienced this first hand). My wife love the car also plus she is the main driver also. I'm probably just going to keep the maintenance on it for 2 more years and then look at something else. BMW has discontinued the 4 year free maintenance on it for 2017 and all they have on the vehicle is a 3 year 36000 mile warranty, just like everybody else.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmassive75 View Post
Look into this, Route 66 Extended Warranty, there's a few members in the 5series forum go it.
I talked to Route 66 and they only offer a very limited warranty on the x5. Route66 is definitely not an option - exploring other options.

Don't think I will get maintenance but looking at either 2yr/3yr platinum extended warranty. Just prices are a bit shocking.
      07-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #22
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
I looked at the extended warranty and while it seems OK, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. I know that there is another post on this forum about the 50i batteries which I'm aware of already and the replacement of them after every other oil change. That in itself is stupid but something that need to be done. Here you have an upper 80 thousand vehicle and you either have to have a battery tender and/or changes the battery every other oil change. The more I think about it the more just a maintenance only for 2 years makes sense.
I look at it the opposite... 80 or 90k for a 50i. If you're buying the v8 (like me) then you don't really care much about a few miles per gallon, even though, over the time of your ownership, will cost a bit more. An extra few tanks of gas and there's the cost of a battery. How much does a battery cost? A couple hundred dollars? Big deal. Something that would normally have to be replaced anyway after 3 or 4 years needs to be replaced after 2 years. And the aggressive battery replacement program by BMW is really to avoid problems on what would have been a small percentage of owners. If you don't drive very short distances always, and then let it sit undriven for days at a time then drive only very short distances again, then it probably won't be a problem. And even if you do replace it after 2 years, that one thing compared to the overall cost of ownership is practically nothing. By itself I just don't think it's as much of an issue as it's been made out to be by some.
Having said that, I am a little nervous about keeping this thing past warranty. Not because a lot of stuff has gone wrong (it's been great, practically perfect) but because I know if something, anything, does go wrong, it will cost a small fortune to fix it. In considering keeping the car for 6 years instead of 4 years, replacing a battery is the least of the things I'm concerned about.
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, LUX H8 V5 halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
Appreciate 1
Xeno313.00