BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Eggplant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i 2018 M3

Leaking Vossen VFS-1's questions

Just curious if anyone has ever had this kind of issue with Vossen wheels before. Wheels aren't brand new but they started leaking after I brought them out of storage and so we did the soap test and it's only the inside bead that leaks.. mind you they were perfectly fine before they came off the car and into storage.

Shop tells me it's probably pitting from manufacturer but it's just weird that they now started leaking. Tires do not have tire rot or anything of the sort.

It's also weird that it's 2 wheels not from the same side but criss cross from each other.

Soap test

Dismounted to inspect bead line

08-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Isn't there a 5 year warranty on them
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Eggplant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i 2018 M3

I contacted them and sent these over. Just waiting on their reply now. But thought I'd ask if anyone ever had this issue. Could be casting issue or could be finish issue?

Just weird to be honest lol
      08-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Back in the day I had these issues with Vossen Wheels. Never again did I trust them on my cars again. Issues I ran into were bent wheels on daily driven 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Damn, that is weird. I was on the fence about getting these (great looking wheel) but there are a lot of complaints about them on the 5 series boards which steered me away and I'm glad it did. Sorry to see this though. Hopefully they fix it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

i've had this happen to my BBS SVs. Starting leaking air from the inside bead out of no where. No damage, no bends ever. Shop said sometimes dirt gets in-between sometimes and can cause a slight air leak in the bead. They removed the tires and sanded down the contact point on the wheel and on the tire. Issue went away.

Alan
      08-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggplant View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever had this kind of issue with Vossen wheels before. Wheels aren't brand new but they started leaking after I brought them out of storage and so we did the soap test and it's only the inside bead that leaks.. mind you they were perfectly fine before they came off the car and into storage.

Shop tells me it's probably pitting from manufacturer but it's just weird that they now started leaking. Tires do not have tire rot or anything of the sort.

It's also weird that it's 2 wheels not from the same side but criss cross from each other.
Hi Eggplant, please see below for the solution. Thank you. I believe Diego from Vossen has been assisting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
i've had this happen to my BBS SVs. Starting leaking air from the inside bead out of no where. No damage, no bends ever. Shop said sometimes dirt gets in-between sometimes and can cause a slight air leak in the bead. They removed the tires and sanded down the contact point on the wheel and on the tire. Issue went away.

Alan
Alan thank you, this is exactly what we were going to recommend. The O.P's wheel was also previously painted externally so they need to sand down the contact point.

A lot of places do not drain the water from their air compressors daily and water is injected into the tires with the air and it can cause issues like this. Another solution is the shop needs to remove the tires clean the wheel and tire with a wire brush or something and dry any remaining moisture from the tire and they should be good to go.
Appreciate 0