BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Angry Rattle trap driving me crazy

My new X5 is driving me crazy. I have a rattle from the rear hatch (already discussed at length here previously, scheduled to be serviced), a rattle from the driver door, some sort of rattle or knock from rear seat on passenger side (I DO have third row seats), and most annoyingly a steady series of pops and clicks from various spots in the car as the AC system cools the car down. The AC noises are particularly maddening.

1. Anyone notice the AC noises? I can understand a few clicks here and there as the vents adjust, but mine is excessive. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Anyone have any experience with a dealer with a car that is driving you crazy (but not a mechanical issue where you could turn it in under the lemon law) where the dealer would offer to buy the car back at a fair market value accounting for some depreciation and mileage and allowing you to order another? I'm serious. I love some of the features of the X5 but these issues make me hate to drive it. I've driven Mazdas, Nissan, Infiniti, Acura, Hyundai, etc. and never have had this many issues... especially with a 70k vehicle.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I'm sorry about your troubles, buddy. I have actually have noticed the AC noise when the car engine is not turned on. When I was playing with the USB dvd stuff two nights ago, I heard the noises as well. It wasn't anything crazy and I forgot about it after a few minutes - not sure if it went away or I just figured because the engine was not on since I've never heard it while the car is running. I've heard this sound before. I think it varies depending on the temperature, but I could be wrong. I'll keep you posted if it happens again and under what circumstances. Sorry I couldn't help you further. Good luck!
      05-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Ringo2712
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Mine does some cracking noises about a minute or so after turning on the AC, last about ten seconds and go away.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

You might have the same problem i had on my e70 x5 the rear seat roll down hatch is rubbing with the hook making noise while driving. So what i did was use electrical tape and wrap the hook. It might be that problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I feel your pain. Having dealt with rattles and creaks with some of my other vehicles in the past, it makes your $70k+ vehicle sound cheap. I had a light rattle in my rear hatch area, solved that one with some felt tape. Had a second one in my step-daughter's car seat. The rattles were driving me nuts...all this on a $77k vehicle?!?! That said, now that they're fixed...I'm rattle free and loving the new X5. I do have the occasional pop or creak as the car cools down or heats up, but that's normal as components expand and contract.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
jneyens
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 sDrive25d

X5 sdrive25d creaks in ventilation rooster and trims

My brand new X5 sdrive25d is driving me crazy. All trims creak when taking a turn or accelerating the car. Some goed for the console in the middle of the car. Left and right after the back seat row you have ventilation roosters. One of these rooster makes an annoying click sound on some roads (I have a recording of this is someone is interested). I'm very disapointed to expercience all this on such an expensive car. Before the X5 I had and Mercedes ML and this had NO clicks or creaks ...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

I don't know about the A/C but my rattle was the rear hatch guide, located in the railing of the car body, not the hatch itself.

You can take it to the dealer or you can tighten the torx bolt yourself. The torx that needs tightening is the one inside the rubber bump stop. You might need to look at the second torx bolt inside the plastic guide assembly. The are two - one in each side.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The crackling from the AC might actually be the hard drive for the navigation system. I heard it and isolated it by pulling the fuse. These cars use a regular, automotive-grade hard drive (not SSD) and when accessing they do make noise. They are a bit loud.
      07-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
jc68
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F15 X5, 991.2 GT3

My A/C has the cracking sound. Compressor failed at 2,700 miles and was replaced. It still has the cracking sound.
I too have various rattles: from the dash dials area and the rear seat. It seems like whenever I access the third row, the rattle would shift from one area to the next.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot
I don't know about the A/C but my rattle was the rear hatch guide, located in the railing of the car body, not the hatch itself.

You can take it to the dealer or you can tighten the torx bolt yourself. The torx that needs tightening is the one inside the rubber bump stop. You might need to look at the second torx bolt inside the plastic guide assembly. The are two - one in each side.

Good luck
I have same rattle driving me crazy. Can you specify which torx bolts need to be tightened. Picture would help too.
      11-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
Heden
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 MY2016

I have rattle from the rear hatch (BMW has tried to fix it, but it has come back). I also have some rattle from the drivers door. I think I have found the cause of this rattle, if I tap on the top of the door trim, it sounds hollow, compaired to the passenger door where it sounds more solid. I will bring my car back to BMW for these two annoying rattles.

I also have teh sound from the AC, but this is normal (eventhough it's annoying). It's the "flaps" in the vents that open/closes. I have experience from previouse cars with the same behaviour.

Regards,
Niclas
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
I have same rattle driving me crazy. Can you specify which torx bolts need to be tightened. Picture would help too.
This picture might help. To the left of the post is the rubber bump stop that has a torn bolt that needs to be tight (in the pic, it is silver in color and partially in view). Try loosening it, then re-tighten. Then, to the right of the rubber bump stop is a plastic tower. I took the top plastic cap (cover) off of it as well as the side plastic guide. Look inside the hole that was left by removing the plastic cap, looking straight down. You will find another torx bolt in there that will need to be tightened. Again, try to loosen then crank it down. With regular hand tools, you will not over-tighten.

Good luck.
Attached Images

11-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
This picture might help. To the left of the post is the rubber bump stop that has a torn bolt that needs to be tight (in the pic, it is silver in color and partially in view). Try loosening it, then re-tighten. Then, to the right of the rubber bump stop is a plastic tower. I took the top plastic cap (cover) off of it as well as the side plastic guide. Look inside the hole that was left by removing the plastic cap, looking straight down. You will find another torx bolt in there that will need to be tightened. Again, try to loosen then crank it down. With regular hand tools, you will not over-tighten.

Good luck.
hi can you plz tell me were is this part , in the doors under the seats or were? can you take a picture more zoom out, plz thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sweet. Thanks!

Will try today.
      11-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
hi can you plz tell me were is this part , in the doors under the seats or were? can you take a picture more zoom out, plz thanks
Open the rear door, and look in the side drain rails, just below the automatic door actuators. In the picture, at the very bottom, you will see the rubber seal that surrounds the opening to keep water and dirt out. You have the rubber bump and plastic post on each side and very obvious. Be careful taking the plastic cap off the plastic post as it is cheaply made and will break. From the dealer, it is $8.
      11-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Open the rear door, and look in the side drain rails, just below the automatic door actuators. In the picture, at the very bottom, you will see the rubber seal that surrounds the opening to keep water and dirt out. You have the rubber bump and plastic post on each side and very obvious. Be careful taking the plastic cap off the plastic post as it is cheaply made and will break. From the dealer, it is $8.
got it thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Baboum68
Private
France
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Did it remove the rattle?

What Torx Screw size it it?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
42pilot
Captain
Rep

I think it takes a 40 torx bit
      11-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post

Good luck.
Tried all of this. Didn't fix rattle and actually caused trunk not to close with out manual force. Dealer is now charging me an hour labor to fix. And rattle still exists.

Maybe the x5m doesn't have this problem??😄

Can't believe how loud and often this rattle is occurring and that bmw can not fix and just says its normal noise.

At least my wife doesn't mind it since she has the stereo up - but a bit frustrating on such an expensive vehicle.

😳
      11-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
42pilot
Captain
Rep

I would head to a different dealer. Also, try calling BMW headquarters in NJ and complaining, and asking for some remedy. The rattle I had was nasty enough for my passengers to make comments. But dead silent now. Good luck.
      08-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Reviving this thread because my X5 now has this crackling noise from the center dash vents for 10-20 seconds at each start up. There's a thread over at Bimmerfest about this as well, with no resolution posted, just several things the dealer tried that didn't work. I'm hoping someone who has this vent crackling sound has had it resolved and can share what the fix was.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #22
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Wow, reviving an old thread! When it first appeared 3 years ago I didn't post but I did experience more rattles and squeaks with my 2014 X5 35d than I was accustomed to. After trading it in for the 2017 equivalent, aside from the dramatic improvement in the voice recognition software the other big improvement is the elimination of annoying noises. My new one is much better in this area. No rattles or squeaks in mine.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0