BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Moe2Moto
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Bimmerplug Apple CarPlay for BMW F15 2015

I found this from Bimmerplug but I’m not able to find any reviews. Any suggestions on if it’s reliable and if it’s touchscreen as well?

https://bimmerplug.com/products/appl...-f-g-e-chassis
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #3
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
they do not provide the screen so no touch ability.
it s simply one more box that you have to plug behind your NBT.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 06:40 PM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I have this one, bought two years ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084M1M4P9/

Supports CarPlay & Android Auto. Works with my iPhone 13 and my Z Fold 3. Yeah it's just an interface box that fits between your iDrive controller and the screen. You hold the Menu button for like 3 seconds and it opens the interface; to go back to your in-car iDrive, you hold menu for 3 seconds again. Yeah no touch screen, but using the iDrive knob to operate is very fast and you get the voice control stuff so just tell Google Maps where you want to go and it will search very easily.

I don't remember how the install instructions were but I do remember I watched a video on it. I had to do undo some clips but for the most part it's unplug from head unit, plug old cables into Y splitter, plug new cables into original head unit and interface box. The hard part, iirc, was fitting the box into the little space underneath the head unit without having to take part my dash. I was able to fit the interface box, plus the extra Y splitter cable, and original head unit all back into the same space. There was a USB adapter you could route outside to plug in your mobile phone but I didn't want any cables just dangling so I left that cable-tied behind the head unit. I think you can upgrade the firmware but you need the USB port for it. Since I opted to hide the USB port, I never tried to upgrade the firmware.

Usage, you open the interface and you pair your phone with it over Bluetooth, then it runs the CarPlay/Android Auto over peer-to-pear WiFi. If you have auto-connect on your phone enabled it will open the interface automatically when you start up your car, otherwise you just manually enter it.

The one in the OP seems like a rebrand of what I bought at a price premium but I assume the OP one comes with some kind of support whereas I never tried support from the one I bought of Amazon.
      08-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #5
nordx5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50 M Sport DHP happy

Thanks, alphaod !
Appreciate 0