BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #111
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking more for an audible improvement rather than an aesthetic one so I will probably just try changing out the factory center speaker.

Would have been good to get both flip up unit though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #112
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking more for an audible improvement rather than an aesthetic one so I will probably just try changing out the factory center speaker.

Would have been good to get both flip up unit though.
Again I think you get more of the acoustic gain when you code the vehicle to use it.

Once you code the B&O on the idrive it makes changes to the sound that makes the best use of the pop up speaker.

I just can't say to you yes yet as I have not coded it yet.

Here is the post

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1608694
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #113
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Is there a noticeable increase in sound?. I wouldn't mind brighter highs from the front and this would be cheaper and easier than changing out the door speakers... assuming it made a difference.

The other option would be just replacing the stock center speaker with something that offered more highs.
The only real way to know for sure would be to test each on their own.

However as many have said some have a tough time hearing a clear difference between the HK and the B&O, based on design alone their may be a difference as the sound reflectors are different so they may throw the sound differently than the stock location.

Some ears can tell. Some can't.

If your looking for a chance get the non branded version so you can keep the HK grills and it looks like it's part of the package.

If you want to do a full looksy then buy the branded and replace all the speaker covers and get a OEM fit for the speaker upgrade like Focal and or Bavsound.

That way at least you would have the nice shiny covers to compliment the center cover.

The price is cheap enough for a give it a try and not cry if you feel it's not better, it's definitely not any worse.

Now I have heard that some have coded the idrive unit to allow B&O expanded to be chosen on their HK system and noted a clear difference.

So it's possible that option makes use of the center channel more. I have no idea as I haven't done it.
My friend turned on the B&O setting on his HK surround system. From what I recall, the B&O settings make the center speaker a bit more active. However, you are better off just turning it off and just adjusting the equalizer.

He then replaced his HK with Focals and it improved the sound a LOT!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #114
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

I connected to fuse box under steering wheel (I'm right-hand-drive). Speaker rises when engine start is pressed, then lowers about 10 seconds after after power is turned off. If memory serves me right, I used OBD fuse for permanent 12v and PDC sensors for switched 12v (that wax the hardest to find, many services stay 'live' for 10 minutes after turning off the engine. I did consider powering from head unit, but that looked like too much work for too little benefit (juice not worth the squeeze)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #115
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Is there a noticeable increase in sound?. I wouldn't mind brighter highs from the front and this would be cheaper and easier than changing out the door speakers... assuming it made a difference.

The other option would be just replacing the stock center speaker with something that offered more highs.
The only real way to know for sure would be to test each on their own.

However as many have said some have a tough time hearing a clear difference between the HK and the B&O, based on design alone their may be a difference as the sound reflectors are different so they may throw the sound differently than the stock location.

Some ears can tell. Some can't.

If your looking for a chance get the non branded version so you can keep the HK grills and it looks like it's part of the package.

If you want to do a full looksy then buy the branded and replace all the speaker covers and get a OEM fit for the speaker upgrade like Focal and or Bavsound.

That way at least you would have the nice shiny covers to compliment the center cover.

The price is cheap enough for a give it a try and not cry if you feel it's not better, it's definitely not any worse.

Now I have heard that some have coded the idrive unit to allow B&O expanded to be chosen on their HK system and noted a clear difference.

So it's possible that option makes use of the center channel more. I have no idea as I haven't done it.
My friend turned on the B&O setting on his HK surround system. From what I recall, the B&O settings make the center speaker a bit more active. However, you are better off just turning it off and just adjusting the equalizer.

He then replaced his HK with Focals and it improved the sound a LOT!
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #116
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

B&O was not an available option on the 2016 X6 Xdrive35i, just the 50s’. I opted for HK and ended up changing out everything but the rear pillar speakers. I would have just disconnected the center speaker but Helix came out with some new DSP’s with very nice center channel processing that enable a 2-seat tune where the soundstage sounds equally good from either the driver or passenger seat. It also allows me to toggle to a 1-seat tune optimized just for the driver when I am alone in the car.

I choose Dynaudio Esotar 2 430 mids and MD102 tweeters for the FL/FR and center speakers.

Link to the center and door mid install (for the entire thread clink the top right link in the below link).

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=10
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #117
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
B&O was not an available option on the 2016 X6 Xdrive35i, just the 50s’. I opted for HK and ended up changing out everything but the rear pillar speakers. I would have just disconnected the center speaker but Helix came out with some new DSP’s with very nice center channel processing that enable a 2-seat tune where the soundstage sounds equally good from either the driver or passenger seat. It also allows me to toggle to a 1-seat tune optimized just for the driver when I am alone in the car.

I choose Dynaudio Esotar 2 430 mids and MD102 tweeters for the FL/FR and center speakers.

Link to the center and door mid install (for the entire thread clink the top right link in the below link).

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=10
Yea in my case having a 40e their is zero room under the rear deck.

As the batteries are packaged their.

So no room for a sub or amps .

So for me I just wanted to spruce up the look a little. Plus with my ears I can't tell the difference between award wining sound and standard mid grade stuff.

Like in my theater room it's all B&W speakers and subwoofer and in the entertainment room it's the Bose and I can't really tell the difference. My friends can but from listening for years on end to overly loud cars and music and the like have damaged the fidelity I used to have.

Ahhhhh getting older sucks sometimes when the body doesn't work anymore and I can't just go buy new ones lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #118
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just coded the X5 for the B&O and it does take advantage of the center channel more.

Anyway now it at least looks the part . Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #119
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Just coded the X5 for the B&O and it does take advantage of the center channel more.

Any change in sound? And did you end up upgrading other speakers yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #120
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:

Any change in sound? And did you end up upgrading other speakers yet?
No upgrade on the speakers yet, and yes their is a difference when selecting the different options.

So the amp and whatnot may play a role but also the DSP and digital sound processing seems to also be done through the Idrive system.

So the car now thinks it has the B&O system and is running the speakers as such.

Now you won't have the higher wattage power of the B&O amp. But I also don't know how efficient the speakers are so it's possible just adding the B&O software on the idrive has particular enhancements.

Again I'm no audiophile but their is a difference and it's fun to have something new to play with.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #121
M3HNGRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 AW X5 35d Msport

Quote:
No upgrade on the speakers yet, and yes their is a difference when selecting the different options.

So the amp and whatnot may play a role but also the DSP and digital sound processing seems to also be done through the Idrive system.

So the car now thinks it has the B&O system and is running the speakers as such.

Now you won't have the higher wattage power of the B&O amp. But I also don't know how efficient the speakers are so it's possible just adding the B&O software on the idrive has particular enhancements.

Again I'm no audiophile but their is a difference and it's fun to have something new to play with.
Link on the one you ordered? Also did you do the coding via ProTools?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #122
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3HNGRY View Post
Quote:

Link on the one you ordered? Also did you do the coding via ProTools?
My friend with the HK system was able to turn on the B&O settings using Bimmercode I believe. Also, the shop that did both my friends and mine speaker upgrades said the B&O and HK amps are exactly the same with different power ratings although the B&O speakers can easily be driven off the HK amp. However, because I had the power powered amp I could have upgraded to the really high end Focal speakers and subs but that would have cost me 3x as much 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:25 AM   #123
Napas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f11 520d m

Not many discuss about this option, i think its over price even is used/salvage.

A retrofit Shop that did me a considerable number of changes on the car, explain me the speakers are the same. I should simply buy them and replace it on my car it would work flawless.
The difference is that in Europe they receive them and do quality control.

"
Night shift" is a practice in China where the factory produces more units, out of contract, without the other party knowing.
These are then sold at discounted prices by the factory via a number of channels including online auction sites.
B&O gets no money from these sales, and as a result their own sale suffers.
B&O pays the R&D, the designers, the marketing and all the technique know how...
"

Own a F11 LCI with HiFI amp.
Working to replace the AMP and the speakers.

Table of comparison for the price between HK vs BO vs BW.

Don't think the central horn justifies the price, a bit steam up.
Still undecided on if its going to be BO or BW.
The drivers/magnet are different even the speaker frame material.

https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/...0463732934.mp4

Last edited by Napas; 09-25-2021 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #124
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

For such a negligible price difference I can't see why anyone would choose anything but BW. They just look like a better constructed speaker.

Whether they would work with the lower end HK amp is a different matter.
Appreciate 1
Napas0.00
      09-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #125
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

I have bought BW set from Aliexpress to my HK setup. It sounds extremely nice and is a big upgrade.
Appreciate 1
Napas0.00
      09-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #126
Napas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f11 520d m

Cool

In 2 Days will be even a bigger discount so i will take that.
I will buy all speakers except the Sub-Woofer (under seat) 300€ :S for now.

Have two covers that are nice.

BW & BO for F11
They have lights so i can connect it to the normal door panel light.

BW Style

BO Style
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #127
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

reviving this thread since I refuse to pay $1k for a used B&O speaker

Has anyone else done this, should I stick with the link OP provided to purchase? I see the same speaker on the site for $100 less from different vendors, is there a difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #128
M3HNGRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 AW X5 35d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
reviving this thread since I refuse to pay $1k for a used B&O speaker

Has anyone else done this, should I stick with the link OP provided to purchase? I see the same speaker on the site for $100 less from different vendors, is there a difference?
So there a better way to wire up the speaker to go up and down like cars that came with BO or BW?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #129
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

Interesting. Assuming the speakers connections are plug and play, Is there an option to power the led and open/close via 12v cig lighter? There's no way I would go through the disassemble panels and run to fuse box route.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #130
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Powering from front fuse box is straightforward and, I would say, easier than the 12v lighter socket. Hardest part is pulling forward the instrument panel (plenty of you tube clips to help), then drop cables down to fuse box, close to A-pillar. Three connections, permanganate 12v, switched 12v and ground. Speaker rises (and led lights) when ignition is turned on. Speaker drops (and led off) 10-15 seconds after switching off ignition. You can get speaker to rise and fall when radio is turned on and off, but that is more complicated- I haven't tried.

Obviously your call whether to proceed or not, but I wouldn't let the power connection put you off.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #131
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranswick852 View Post
Powering from front fuse box is straightforward and, I would say, easier than the 12v lighter socket. Hardest part is pulling forward the instrument panel (plenty of you tube clips to help), then drop cables down to fuse box, close to A-pillar. Three connections, permanganate 12v, switched 12v and ground. Speaker rises (and led lights) when ignition is turned on. Speaker drops (and led off) 10-15 seconds after switching off ignition. You can get speaker to rise and fall when radio is turned on and off, but that is more complicated- I haven't tried.

Obviously your call whether to proceed or not, but I wouldn't let the power connection put you off.
Thanks. But does the kit come with a cig lighter plug at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #132
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutF15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranswick852 View Post

Thanks. But does the kit come with a cig lighter plug at all?
No. Not sure why your so hard set on the cig lighter It won't power down like the OEM unit. It takes a few minutes for that 12v to power down.

The speaker took less than 30 minutes to install and didn't have to take anything apart except for the lower panel Which was a couple screws.

The hardest part was cutting the dash so the speaker could fit. After that it was super easy to run the wires and connect.

The pics you see where they remove half
Of the ip is over doing it. You don't have to remove any interior panel other than the one bottom panel to access the fuse panel.
Appreciate 1
Upurock47.00