BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2022, 12:11 PM   #23
mfinn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmer View Post
I had exact same issue for almost a year...engine would stall out and die on various cold starts. Worst was when i was skiing and car would barely start or stay on. For a while the dealer said no problem, then i left it for days so they could reproduce the issue. Once they acknowledged the issue, dealer said software would fix problem, which sounded silly to me. But they did a software update and I've had zero issues and no stalling in about 8 months since.

I have extended warranty so they could have fixed anything and it would have been covered, so they had no incentive to not fix something if broken. I assumed I'd be back when the cold start idle shut down occurred again, but here i am, many months later and issue is gone. Ive been skiing a bunch since December and not one issue in the cold this winter.
Unfortunately I still have this issue after updating to the most current software in my 2015 35i (112k miles). Anybody have any clue what else it could be?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #24
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
Unfortunately I still have this issue after updating to the most current software in my 2015 35i (112k miles). Anybody have any clue what else it could be?
Its your vacuum hose or PCV hose thats connected on your valve cover and air-box duct. If any spark plug work has been done those are removed to replace plugs. So check those because when i replaced my plugs i stopped half way just loosely connected it and it stalled in cold weather in reverse. One of those hoses are either loose or cracked as it is brittle. If that doesn't fix it maybe it an injector issue. you can try some chevron techron cleaner to test if it makes it better.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.22.22 PM.png
Views: 529
Size:  530.0 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.21.50 PM.png
Views: 532
Size:  638.4 KB

Last edited by F15_SGM; 12-27-2022 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 11:23 PM   #25
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
Its your vacuum hose or PCV hose thats connected on your valve cover and air-box duct. If any spark plug work has been done those are removed to replace plugs. So check those because when i replaced my plugs i stopped half way just loosely connected it and it stalled in cold weather in reverse. One of those hoses are either loose or cracked as it is brittle. If that doesn't fix it maybe it an injector issue. you can try some chevron techron cleaner to test if it makes it better.

Attachment 3064986
Attachment 3064985
This. This is exactly what I wanted to comment on but refrained from doing so since I don't have experience with the 35i...

I've recently replaced one of the vent pipes since one of them cracked, on my 50i and cold start no longer experiences any cold start RPM fluctuation. The ones that came with my 2015 were the old, brittle hard plastic ones, while the new one is the upgraded thick rubber ones... Check if you have an oil leak/burnt around/on these pipes; I would replace them regardless if there is any.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:03 PM   #26
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I am posting this here for anyone that finds it. I solved my cold start stumble very easily.

2014 XDrive 35i

I unplugged the MAF on a cold engine and gave it one complete warm-up and drive cycle with the MAF unplugged (it ran fine and no check engine light came on). Then I plugged the MAF back in and allowed the motor to go back to completely cold before turning it on again.

The issue has not returned for 1 month of daily starts. Previously, it was stumbling and running rough on every single cold start for 5 months. I was dreading the injector replacement or taking it back to the dealer for coding. Neither was necessary.

I can't explain it, but I saw it posted a couple of other places and it also worked for me. I'm assuming it resets some adaptions.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 07:35 AM   #27
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14' F15 X5 35i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I am posting this here for anyone that finds it. I solved my cold start stumble very easily.

2014 XDrive 35i

I unplugged the MAF on a cold engine and gave it one complete warm-up and drive cycle with the MAF unplugged (it ran fine and no check engine light came on). Then I plugged the MAF back in and allowed the motor to go back to completely cold before turning it on again.

The issue has not returned for 1 month of daily starts. Previously, it was stumbling and running rough on every single cold start for 5 months. I was dreading the injector replacement or taking it back to the dealer for coding. Neither was necessary.

I can't explain it, but I saw it posted a couple of other places and it also worked for me. I'm assuming it resets some adaptions.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!
I am going to try this, I kicked your information around thinking to myself that this isn't some electrical gremlin, or a problem just won't go away. I came back to this thread again, re-reading it, and it occurred to me that you you have been around this forum and BMW, so you may have some street cred, so I will give it a shot. Been fighting this booger for a while now....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 02:34 PM   #28
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_greenthumb View Post
I am going to try this, I kicked your information around thinking to myself that this isn't some electrical gremlin, or a problem just won't go away. I came back to this thread again, re-reading it, and it occurred to me that you you have been around this forum and BMW, so you may have some street cred, so I will give it a shot. Been fighting this booger for a while now....
15 years of BMW diy on ~6 cars. Currently rebuilding an entire motor, but that’s another story. The only reason I didn’t try this sooner was I thought it sounded ridiculous, despite the fact that others posted it working for them. I figured I had nothing to lose as it take 2 minutes to unplug the MAF. (Use a pick in the lock side with a mirror… will make it easier. It slides off the MAF toward the passenger side). Take it slow and easy on the MAF clip. You’ll get it. When the plastic lock pops it comes right off easily. You could also easily remove the plastic cladding to give you all the access in the world in just a couple of extra minutes.

What frustrates me is I can’t explain why it worked. If it were an adaptions thing I’m assuming you could reset the adaptions via a code reader, but I didn’t try that either. I just figured it must be a hardware issue all Along, so I didn’t try this… until recently.

Other non hardware fixes have been successful going through the dealer with what people were reporting as a “software update”. Now, what that entails is anyone’s guess… they could be updating the software or they could be resetting adaptions or (laughably) unplugging the MAF.

All I know is it worked. And I feel like a fool for not doing it sooner. That’s why I spammed like 5 threads including my build thread. Hope this helps you too!

Obviously, if there’s an actual hardware issue my suggestion won’t help, but judging the amount of ppl that were able to solve this with a dealer “software update” I’m assuming unplugging the MAF will help a good % of owners. It’s also free and easy.

Last edited by tlow98; 02-16-2023 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:59 AM   #29
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

If it's a turbo engine, then there is no MAF.
If it's a turbo angina and a MAF, I would really like to see a pic of it. Because turbo engines have no MAF, AFAIK.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #30
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
If it's a turbo angina and a MAF, I would really like to see a pic of it. Because turbo engines have no MAF, AFAIK.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1357

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 11:17 PM   #31
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Yeah see next post for correct answer.

If anyone finds this in the future try unplugging part #2 linked above.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:12 PM   #32
Rrswartz@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

I tried unplugging the connector. After hooking it back up, the check engine symbol came up. This video shows how to reset the check engine light. As a bonus, you can also do a software update. Is this the same software update a dealer would do? I did that was well, so if it is now cured, I will not know for sure which one fixed it.
You can also reset many indicators such as oil changed, new brakes, etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 08:08 PM   #33
tlow98
Major General
Rep

You can’t do a software update without new software being plugged in and uploaded. It could be a reset to the adaptions however.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272168.00
      11-14-2023, 07:51 AM   #34
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
If unplugging and re-plugging the MAF + code clearing worked , is that not indicative of a prematurely failing MAF? Similarly, resetting adaptions could provide a solution if the hardware is good.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:02 PM   #35
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
If unplugging and re-plugging the MAF + code clearing worked , is that not indicative of a prematurely failing MAF? Similarly, resetting adaptions could provide a solution if the hardware is good.
Maybe, but it hasn’t returned in 1 year +. I thinks it’s a glitch for lack of a better term. You could try resetting the adaptions. That hasn’t proven to be successful for anyone this far, however.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272168.00
      11-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #36
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Fair enough, I stand corrected.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:53 AM   #37
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Fair enough, I stand corrected.
No worries, we’re all in this together. I love the ideation and suggestions. This is how we solve the problems :-)

This one was incredibly confusing for me, but in the end I’m just so incredibly happy it worked out.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272168.00