BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #23
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Ok, I was stupid today. I did the oil change myself for the first time. There was two rubber o rings from the oil filter. So I put the larger one on the oil filter cap, and the smaller one on the oil drain plug(on top of the metal ring).

Now, I was told that the oil drain plug isn't supposed to have the rubber ring.....

So now, what issues it may caused? No leak or anything, but I hate to go under the car and do the oil change again....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:57 PM   #24
MH20jy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Ok, I was stupid today. I did the oil change myself for the first time. There was two rubber o rings from the oil filter. So I put the larger one on the oil filter cap, and the smaller one on the oil drain plug(on top of the metal ring).

Now, I was told that the oil drain plug isn't supposed to have the rubber ring.....

So now, what issues it may caused? No leak or anything, but I hate to go under the car and do the oil change again....
Replace both of them. The small o-ring seals the filter. Without it you actually does not have filtered oil. Also you need to replace the oring on the drain plug bc it was not supposed to be there. Not sure how soon it can turn brittle and cause leak
      04-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #25
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:

That's correct, for n63tu, you can ignore the small o-ring that comes with the filter - use the bigger one on the filter cap and a brand new crush washer on the drain plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:00 AM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912
...I did the oil change myself for the first time. There was two rubber o rings from the oil filter. So I put the larger one on the oil filter cap, and the smaller one on the oil drain plug(on top of the metal ring).
Just an FYI...the small rubber o-ring that comes with the oil filter kit...is for the early build n63 engines that have an extra drain plug built into the oil filter cap (see #4 in the diagram below of the N63 oil filter cap). The n63TU (&TU2/TU3 iterations) as mentioned don’t require the small o-ring due to their oil filter cap not having the drain...but they do use the same filter, large o-ring and brass crush washer....so the extra small rubber o-ring isn’t required for the BMWs that don’t have the extra drain plug in the oil filter cap:

If the small rubber o-ring you installed on the drain plug fails...you will start leaking oil since you have it above the crush washer. I would recommend draining the oil (into a CLEAN drip pan) so that you can removed the small rubber o-ring and leave the crush washer installed on the drain plug. Then reuse the oil that drained into your drip pan.

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-22-2021 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #27
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

You need to remove that o ring but not necessary right away. And I wouldn't put used oil back.

What I would do is go buy 1-2 more quarts and then take the plug out and replace it with a new one from the dealer. If you do it quick enough you will only lose a little bit. Then measure and add new oil. Or take the new plug to a jiffy lube and ask them to do it for you and again, measure what you loss and add new clean oil.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #28
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

You need to remove that o ring but not necessary right away. And I wouldn't put used oil back.

What I would do is go buy 1-2 more quarts and then take the plug out and replace it with a new one from the dealer. If you do it quick enough you will only lose a little bit. Then measure and add new oil. Or take the new plug to a jiffy lube and ask them to do it for you and again, measure what you loss and add new clean oil.
I think I would just pay for the extra few quarts rather than attempt to plug it back mid stream. Just write it off as an $80 learning lesson.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #29
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Loosen the plug but only enough to expose the o-ring. I'd use a fine edge pair of side cutters or electrical cutters, snip the o-ring then just screw the plug back in. Once the plug is loose, keep upward pressure as you cut it and that should help block/slow the oil flow.

That's what I'd do to save the oil anyways. Top up as needed.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      04-23-2021, 02:08 AM   #30
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
Loosen the plug but only enough to expose the o-ring. I'd use a fine edge pair of side cutters or electrical cutters, snip the o-ring then just screw the plug back in. Once the plug is loose, keep upward pressure as you cut it and that should help block/slow the oil flow.

That's what I'd do to save the oil anyways. Top up as needed.
Brilliant
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #31
drkarakaya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Hi Everyone,

I attempted my first DIY oil change after owning the car for ten years, following the engine replacement due to the lawsuit. However, when I checked the oil filter cover, it does not seem to be the standard. Does anyone know which type of cover this is, and what size oil filter wrench I need?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #32
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkarakaya View Post
Hi Everyone,

I attempted my first DIY oil change after owning the car for ten years, following the engine replacement due to the lawsuit. However, when I checked the oil filter cover, it does not seem to be the standard. Does anyone know which type of cover this is, and what size oil filter wrench I need?

Thanks!
Find a socket that will fit the area circled in red. I think the whole cap uses a tool that is between 76mm-86mm ( I can't remember which)...but there's tools for oil cap removal for these oil filter caps.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-08-2023 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0