BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

so what's the fuel mileage like? (please convert it for my stupid 'murican brain to miles-per-gallon US, not imperial)
      03-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
To all those waiting for their cars it wont be long now and I look forward to seeing everyone else's updates.
Just been told today, that mines going to be a further week now.

Status has changed to 9610 Port of Exit on March 1st, with an expected delivery date to dealer now as 15th March
      03-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #25
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Just been told today, that mines going to be a further week now.

Status has changed to 9610 Port of Exit on March 1st, with an expected delivery date to dealer now as 15th March
My dealer confirmed yesterday that week 12 is the anticipated delivery date for mine which is week commencing 20th March so fingers crossed. This is a week earlier than originally quoted so we will see. It is still showing up as status 9000
      03-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #26
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
My dealer confirmed yesterday that week 12 is the anticipated delivery date for mine which is week commencing 20th March so fingers crossed. This is a week earlier than originally quoted so we will see. It is still showing up as status 9000
Going by my timeframe and yours, I'd expect yours to go Status 9610 Port of Exit some time next week....(may even change on Monday?)
      03-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #27
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so what's the fuel mileage like? (please convert it for my stupid 'murican brain to miles-per-gallon US, not imperial)
I get 30 UK mpg, do the math for US Gallons!
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      03-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #28
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
I get 30 UK mpg, do the math for US Gallons!
That's what I'm expecting! Be happy with that.
Is this road rather than motorway driving.
      03-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #29
breal1028
Rep
Drives: X5 M4 21

Wow..that is sweet enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #30
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm expecting! Be happy with that.
Is this road rather than motorway driving.
Mainly 15 mins to work at 10 mins steady 50mph and the 5 mins town + occasional trips to Germany at up 140mph, averaging around 100mph! I suspect that the average might be around 32-34 without the occasional autobahn run.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #31
S114MON
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

UK deliveries: don't know if this helps others, mine 9th Feb out of the factory, 3rd March arrives in Europe, + 3 - 4 days to dealer + 24 hrs PDI
Hoping mine arrives with me this week.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #32
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S114MON View Post
UK deliveries: don't know if this helps others, mine 9th Feb out of the factory, 3rd March arrives in Europe, + 3 - 4 days to dealer + 24 hrs PDI
I'll be pretty miffed if you get yours next week, when they are telling me, mine will be the week after next, and mine was built Feb 3rd, and Port of Exit date was March 1st..........

You do realise they don't go to the dealer straight away, they all go to BMW's centre at Thorne in Yorkshire first, before then being dispatched out to the dealerships.
      03-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #33
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be pretty miffed if you get yours next week, when they are telling me, mine will be the week after next, and mine was built Feb 3rd, and Port of Exit date was March 1st..........

You do realise they don't go to the dealer straight away, they all go to BMW's centre at Thorne in Yorkshire first, before then being dispatched out to the dealerships.
They don't go to Thorne any more fortunately - they have a prep centre at the Southampton port so they're straight in and on the transporters.

German efficiency for American cars in the UK
      03-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #34
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M50d View Post
They don't go to Thorne any more fortunately - they have a prep centre at the Southampton port so they're straight in and on the transporters.
Well.... in that case.... I'm curious as to know why my delivery has been pushed back another week...given there seems to be quite a few Bremerhaven - Southampton RoRo sailings this coming week.
      03-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #35
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sounds about right. Mine was out of the factory 15th Feb so should expect mine in a couple of weeks
I suppose it all depends on how quickly it was put on the boat when it left the factory?
      03-06-2017, 04:27 AM   #36
markrw68
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 X5 M50d

Quote:

Mine moved to 9610 this morning which is odd as according to marinetraffic.com, the Boheme hasn't arrived in Bremerhaven yet (still in the Channel)? So either they are using an expected arrival date for the code or perhaps it arrived on your ship? Delivery to dealer expected not later than 20th March which seems a long wait as there are a few RoRo sailings from Bimmerhaven to Southampton this week.

Anyway, "nice 1st world problems we are all having" as my wife said sarcastically last night!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #37
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrw68 View Post
Mine moved to 9610 this morning which is odd as according to marinetraffic.com, the Boheme hasn't arrived in Bremerhaven yet (still in the Channel)? So either they are using an expected arrival date for the code or perhaps it arrived on your ship? Delivery to dealer expected not later than 20th March which seems a long wait as there are a few RoRo sailings from Bimmerhaven to Southampton this week.
Possibly, but if it did I would have expected them to go to 9610 on the same date...?

Yours was probably on another vessel, it won't go to 9610 until after its been through the process at Bremerhaven.

I found it was very difficult to find out which vessel unless you know the shipping company.

There's a RoRo from Bremerhaven due at Southampton tomorrow morning, and given its a 3 day sailing, and my car went Status 9610 on the 1st, I was hoping mine would be on that, but, that would mean it would be at the dealership by end of this week.....?

Next RoRo isn't due until 10th March, so I suspect it will be on that one, possibly yours will be as well.

I think mines been hanging around everywhere for days at a time and just missing boat sailings, and is taking an age to get here.
      03-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #38
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

If it helps for everyone eagerly awaiting for their cars here's a few more thoughts from me. Some of the thoughts may relate to the transition from a 5 series saloon to a SUV.

On Friday night I managed to set up the driver profiles and assign the profiles to both my wife's key and mine. I setup my favorite stations and added some music in the car. Being able to copy flac audio files to a USB stick and play them in the car is something I only became aware was possible recently and something I'm very happy about. I also went though the idrive and ran through all the settings. With this all done the car was ready for the weekend

The car was extensively used over the weekend. On Saturday I was mainly driving in London with the family. City driving proved to be very relaxing, the elevated driving position provided excellent visibility even for the rear occupants. The panoramic roof was a last minute addition to my specification, I'm so glad I ordered it because it makes a big difference to the cabin. I would definitely order it again. The linear power delivery of the m50d engine and the swift changes of the zf gearbox make for effortless progress. The economy was in line with my expectations of low 20's mpg. Managing the size of the car and parking were no problem even in some of the tight streets in central London. I still use the mirrors to ensure I don't curb the wheels but the surround view definitely helps with the positioning of the car.

After Saturday's driving I was questioning a few of my options.
-First being the adaptive leds. The adaptive part doesn't get used in the city. I felt I had paid for a fancy set of indicators :
-The driving assistant plus pack was another. The adaptive cruise was useful a few times but I was unable to use traffic jam assist as they only works on motorways. I thought I may be able to use it on the A4 and the A406 but those roads are not supported.
-Lastly I was not sure if the dynamic suspension was worth the money. The ride although good wasn't great. I think a lot of this was attributed to the runflats Tyres. City driving meant a few potholes and speed bumps which were a little choppy. On my 5 series I switched from run flats to non runflats michelin pss and the ride was transformed so this may be an option I will explore when the time comes. But I decided it was too early to make a judgement on the suspension. I needed to experience driving on a few more familiar roads and more time to make an evaluation.

On Sunday I drove out towards Horsham from West London which involved driving the m25 and then the A24 south. Surprisingly the m25 was flowing well so I got to experience the adaptive cruise which proved to be excellent. There was no sub 35mph driving so I didn't get a chance to try traffic jam assist. The A24 is a lovely smooth sweeping A road that passes along the surrey hills. This proved an excellent road to push the car a bit more an experience a different side to the city experience the day before. As soon as I encountered my first sweeping bending I instantly felt the benefit of the dynamic suspension. You can feel the active roll controlling the body while taking the bend. I was able to power out of the bend with the car planted inspiring lots of confidence. There were quite a few sweeping bends and also wide roundabouts so I got to experience this a number of times. The feeling of doing this in a such a heavy tall car feels slightly strange at first but I got used to the characteristics very quickly and then had lots of fun exploiting the chassis I now have no regrets with this going with this option as I did so without driving an adaptive m suspension car let alone a car specified with the dynamic suspension. I also think if I had a quick test drive the benefits would not have been apparent in such a short space of time. But I feel thats the case with a lot of cars... a quick test drive is never enough to get a good feel for a car or it's options. Fuel economy was high 20's

A few other points to note.

I washed the car myself on Saturday, the roof proved tricky to access so I need to get a plastic stool or work out a better way to get up there : the car is getting corrected and ceramic coated in a couple of weeks so I have committed to washing it myself to maintain the paint as best as possible

I wanted to order the rear blinds, I checked with Cotswold last year and it worked out to be cheaper to order the blinds afterwards. This has proved to be a mistake as the blinds Cotswold quoted for are stick on blinds that match the shape of the door frame whereas I was after the roller blinds that attached to the door frame allowing the windows to be opened. There's nothing I can do now as a retrofit involves changing part of the door frame and is costly and time consuming. It's my fault for not checking in advance

The bmw connected app has been useful for sending addresses to the car. I used to use google maps on my phone previously but with the crack down I'm sticking to using the cars navigation to avoid the temptation of using my phone. I've had no problems with the navigation but I generally have an idea of routes myself so that helps too

Plans for the car include
-retrofitting the x6 knee pads. I like my hex alu trim everywhere except the center console so that solves that problem
-I have a correction booked in a couple of weeks so will post up some pics when done
-coding the car to personalise it and enable enhanced Bluetooth

Here's a few phone pics from Saturday. I didn't manage to get any on Sunday but the car was dirty anyway
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #39
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds good

Interesting what you say about the Adaptive LED lights.

I'm sure the lights still swivel with the steering in town....

I bloody hope so, as I have adaptive xenons on my 135i, and the swivel function is great....will be miffed if that doesn't work around town with the LED's!!

Yes, you don't really see the benefit of the dynamic chassis until out of town, I was lucky in that the used car I tried with it fitted was at a dealer out in Oxfordshire, so saw the benefit quickly in the relatively short test drive I had.

I didn't opt for any of the semi-autonomous driving gadgets, as I'm managed to survive driving for nearly 40 years without them
      03-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #40
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Great write up
I was interested to see the mpg you were getting which sounds low, however this will no doubt increase once the car has had a few more 1000 miles added to it.
My car will be having the paint protection added to it before pick up, however what product are you going for? Also do you mind me asking what you are being charged to have this done and whether this includes interior protection? PM me if you wish.
I also went for the driving assistance plus after a lot of deliberation so hope it is worth the expense - I tend to do quite a lot of M25 driving
Keep me updated on your experiences and any surprises you have found with the car, as my waiting to get mine in unbearable
      03-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #41
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Possibly, but if it did I would have expected them to go to 9610 on the same date...?

Yours was probably on another vessel, it won't go to 9610 until after its been through the process at Bremerhaven.

I found it was very difficult to find out which vessel unless you know the shipping company.

There's a RoRo from Bremerhaven due at Southampton tomorrow morning, and given its a 3 day sailing, and my car went Status 9610 on the 1st, I was hoping mine would be on that, but, that would mean it would be at the dealership by end of this week.....?

Next RoRo isn't due until 10th March, so I suspect it will be on that one, possibly yours will be as well.

I think mines been hanging around everywhere for days at a time and just missing boat sailings, and is taking an age to get here.
I'm expecting mine on either the Independance II or Boheme vessels due to dock in Southampton at the weekend. So sounds as though we are all expecting within the next two weeks
      03-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #42
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

Quote:
Sounds good

Interesting what you say about the Adaptive LED lights.

I'm sure the lights still swivel with the steering in town....

I bloody hope so, as I have adaptive xenons on my 135i, and the swivel function is great....will be miffed if that doesn't work around town with the LED's!!

Yes, you don't really see the benefit of the dynamic chassis until out of town, I was lucky in that the used car I tried with it fitted was at a dealer out in Oxfordshire, so saw the benefit quickly in the relatively short test drive I had.

I didn't opt for any of the semi-autonomous driving gadgets, as I'm managed to survive driving for nearly 40 years without them
TBH I haven't fully explored the Leds. I need to play around with them more and a bit more night driving before I comment properly.

Regarding the autonomous driving, it was just the adaptive cruise that appealed but it can only be ordered as part of a pack to TJA gets bundled with it. I use regular cruise control a lot on the M25 and the adaptive part really helps a lot. Its good for the regular monotonous motorway driving

Quote:
Great write up
I was interested to see the mpg you were getting which sounds low, however this will no doubt increase once the car has had a few more 1000 miles added to it.
My car will be having the paint protection added to it before pick up, however what product are you going for? Also do you mind me asking what you are being charged to have this done and whether this includes interior protection? PM me if you wish.
I also went for the driving assistance plus after a lot of deliberation so hope it is worth the expense - I tend to do quite a lot of M25 driving
Keep me updated on your experiences and any surprises you have found with the car, as my waiting to get mine in unbearable
I'm glad it helped, your car will be here before you know it!
I'll drop you a pm with details on the detailing work
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #43
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I was debating on going with the LED adaptive headlights but at the time of ordering spent the money on the Individual leather dash. Otherwise my build cost was running away with me
I've gone with the adaptive xenon which are still good I have been told
My wife's Mercedes GLC has the adaptive LED headlights and I have to say are fantastic and so bright on rural roads.
Hope I don't regret not getting them.
      03-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #44
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Nice write-up I think the suspension could do with a softer setting for crap roads. I have the adaptive LEDs and I really like them functionally and how they look - are they worth the extra £ though? From re-sale perspective no as are many other options. Same with the 360 view, I never really use it preferring the sensors and door mirrors. Heated steering is superb and essential in my view. I have 4 zone AC and thought it might mean cooler overall car quicker, I can't see any improvement. Had mine detailed for £650 2 years ago with G Tech and it is still working, although minor swirls are there, even though I use 2 bucket method, etc

PS:I have the built in rear sun blinds - which work very well.

Last edited by Wing Co; 03-06-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50