Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCollection View Post
I am a massive Land Rover fan and in England they say I have green blood (classic Land Rover colour) but the range rover is no patch on the x5 unless off road ability is in the mix. Don't waver!

Photo of the x5m and my Land Rover just for kicks. Sorry for off topic!
that looks great. what's the real world mpg of the x5m in your experience may i ask. I do 15k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
not many with oyster interior though. Deals are good indeed sub 35k forgood examples. I am also considering widening my search to an x6 now that I already have a grey x5 a black x6 might look nice to it on the driveway. Is this not a good idea?
Bargin and low mileage

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...at_cars&page=2
      04-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #25
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
20ish UK mpg using it quite hard, not too hard as you can't really! Also got an M2C and m4 and they do around the 24mpg mark so X5m is in my mind good for what you get. Only problem is the U.K. fuel price with no Covid drop is £6.30ish a UK gallon so it isn't the cheapest car I've ever owned on fuel.

As an aside though the old Land Rover does 18mpg and is 69hp and the X5 is 570hp and does 20mpg. This is why when people moan about computerisation in cars going wrong I try and make them see we are a victim of our own desire
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
a thought entered my head. could it be true
a used m50d is likely to have been driven hard/abused but a used 40d of equal mileage is likely to not have been driven hard,/ abused given the buyer groups involved for each. Is there merit in this line of thought?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #27
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
a used m50d is likely to have been driven hard/abused but a used 40d of equal mileage is likely to not have been driven hard,/ abused given the buyer groups involved for each. Is there merit in this line of thought?
Not very likely, but also not impossible. I can't imagine that anybody would buy over 5k lbs tank to race it, so it's only a matter of the money you are willing to burn at the cashiers while purchasing the car brand new.
For instance, I purchased my M50d from the 65 year old CEO of the construction company that used it for travel between the company offices, so the car has over 130k miles, but looks and feels almost like brand new (apart from the side of the drivers seat).
So in my opinion - the 40d and 50d are not far away from each other from the abuse point of view.
Second thoughts - 40d is more likely to be driven hard/abused. It's cheaper, more accessible to younger drivers, easily tunable to 50d levels and overall cheaper to run and maintain.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13714.50
      04-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #28
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Not very likely, but also not impossible. I can't imagine that anybody would buy over 5k lbs tank to race it, so it's only a matter of the money you are willing to burn at the cashiers while purchasing the car brand new.
For instance, I purchased my M50d from the 65 year old CEO of the construction company that used it for travel between the company offices, so the car has over 130k miles, but looks and feels almost like brand new (apart from the side of the drivers seat).
So in my opinion - the 40d and 50d are not far away from each other from the abuse point of view.
Second thoughts - 40d is more likely to be driven hard/abused. It's cheaper, more accessible to younger drivers, easily tunable to 50d levels and overall cheaper to run and maintain.
Agreed I don't see the difference between the 40d and 50d in terms of them being abused.
Who would want to do that when paying so much money to buy one?
Not sure about running costs between the two, however mpg is going to be very similar - I'm averaging between 29 and 33mpg on an everyday run which I'm really pleased with. Insurance is circa £500 pa - 57 years old, full protected no claims, no convictions and business use. Tax is £235 pa which will be the same as a 40d. So surprisingly affordable
I think the only real expense apart from the monthly finance is the depreciation I've been hit with from new, but I was expecting this and I try not to think about it. It was the car I wanted!
KRS_SN13714.50
      04-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #29
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The second thoughts were good counterthinking and makes sense. I am impressed by buying a 130k mile car. I was looking for sub 40k mile examples but perhaps that's being too picky and prices are being too high.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #30
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:
Agreed I don't see the difference between the 40d and 50d in terms of them being abused.
Who would want to do that when paying so much money to buy one?
Not sure about running costs between the two, however mpg is going to be very similar - I'm averaging between 29 and 33mpg on an everyday run which I'm really pleased with. Insurance is circa £500 pa - 57 years old, full protected no claims, no convictions and business use. Tax is £235 pa which will be the same as a 40d. So surprisingly affordable
I think the only real expense apart from the monthly finance is the depreciation I've been hit with from new, but I was expecting this and I try not to think about it. It was the car I wanted!

That's the thing. Apart from a egr failure the 30d f15 X5 has been bulletproof since 2014 so a very cheap to run(so far hope i don't jinx myself). An X5 M50d 7 seater is like a jack of all trades not the least an ounce of bragging rights.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #31
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The second thoughts were good counterthinking and makes sense. I am impressed by buying a 130k mile car. I was looking for sub 40k mile examples but perhaps that's being too picky and prices are being too high.
Miles are not really comparable to miles, to be honest (if you know what I mean). I can think of 60k miles car driven to the ground, while my car has a pristine service record, outstanding condition and was driven by the older gentleman, who was not exactly a boy racer. (At least that's my logic here)

(Sorry for the top of the post with all quotes - can't edit that on the phone)
Appreciate 0