BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

F15 interior ambient lighting

On 2015 F15 35i, how does your ambient lighting looks? Does it light up just on the dash board line? or does it also light up the door open knob area and door storage bin on all 4 doors?

Mine has no light whatsoever on all doors. Only the dash board and the driver and passenger seat back. Anybody can chime in for comparison? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Unusual. I've got the 2014 model and the ambient lighting works fine; on the dash board, doors, the bottom and the rear seats. I'd suggest you take it in for a check.
Take a couple of pictures if it's possible.

Last edited by HMN; 09-10-2014 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Check that it is on.

1. "Settings"
2. "Lighting"
3. "Lighting design"
4. Select the desired setting.
To activate the ambient light: "ON".

You can then set it up with a combination of orange/white/blue fro top, mid doors and the floor.

If your settings are correct, see the advice of Hamad Nasser.
      09-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Ambient lighting works for all 4 doors, dashboard, in front of driver and passenger seats near the foot pedal and also at back.

I got mine with white color which is not at all visible. Try changing your color.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Also, try the dim/bright setting.
      09-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep

Tried all combinations, no good. Got an appointment at the dealer next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready
Did you try the illumination wheel on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel?
      09-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready
Did you try the illumination wheel on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel?
I did, although it does not make sense, why would it dim out all lights and leave the dash board one on. No matter what I tried there is no light at all anywhere except dashboard and the back of both front seats. Will post updates after visiting the dealer. As I said, I am not going to let the guy remove anything (panel, seats, etc...) at all. If fixable from outside fine, if not, the car is drivable as is, but I will find a way to get something from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Trust me you want them to fix it. Do not worry about them opening panels. I had a faulty rear curtain when I went for the handover and whilst like you I hated the idea of removing the panel it was fitted back factory fresh.

In any case I feel that maybe you have a shorted fuse which is easily solved. I am not at all an expert - just guessing.

Either way get it sorted as you need to drive at night with the blue light on which feels divine ))
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978
Trust me you want them to fix it. Do not worry about them opening panels. I had a faulty rear curtain when I went for the handover and whilst like you I hated the idea of removing the panel it was fitted back factory fresh.

In any case I feel that maybe you have a shorted fuse which is easily solved. I am not at all an expert - just guessing.

Either way get it sorted as you need to drive at night with the blue light on which feels divine ))
I liked the fuse idea, so I checked all of them, front and back box. Fuses are all OK but the light still off. Panel removal on a car 10 days old makes me sick (somebody did not do his job right). Will keep you posted next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
I liked the fuse idea, so I checked all of them, front and back box. Fuses are all OK but the light still off. Panel removal on a car 10 days old makes me sick (somebody did not do his job right). Will keep you posted next week.
I'm with you @Dataready. Removing panels is risky when it comes to BMW service being really negligent and not caring. This is where many scratches come from. However, from all the videos I've seen regarding our X series, the panels are held in simply by snap in points. So they come off pretty easily, but yes care should still be taken if any scratches are to be avoided. I'm thinking it's a loose connection that powers all 4 doors. There's no way that all individual LEDs are out. That would be really poor on BMW's part. Anyway, let us know how it goes. I hope this can be remedied and if not, then at least you can get some form of compensation. I love the ambient lighting and think it truly adds to the elegance/uniqueness of our X5 interior. I can't imagine mine without it.

I found this from this thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...ers-door.html: "This happened to me, the dealer reinstalled the led upside down. No need to remove the door panel.

Remove the window switch panel, then with a pair of tweezers pull the led light towards you, there is just enough cable so it allows you to turn the connector and led round 180 degrees, gently push back in to locate.

Take note don't push led back in too hasty other wise it will fall behind the door panel and you will then have to remove that to rectify.

Cheers"
      09-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks to Opasha's last post, I started checking the LED connections. The driver foot well light was off and was the easiest to pull out, as soon as I pushed the LED connector in, it snapped in place with a loud click and all 4 doors ambient lights came on. Problem solved. Thanks again Opasha, and thank you all for trying to help. I was right when I said ( somebody at BMW did NOT do his/her job right, car was made on a Sunday).
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Good troubleshooting!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hi all,

I just received my new X5 50i and wanted to ask a question about the ambient lighting. Mine seems to work perfectly in orange and blue, the dash and door strips light up. However when I select white at the top, only the dash lights up, the strips on the front and back doors remain off. As I said, for orange and blue, all the strips light up.

I'm wondering if this is a fault or if it meant to be that way. I asked the dealer and he had no idea but is going to check since the car is in to have a small bump removed that the delivery truck made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dimitri
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
Hi all,

I just received my new X5 50i and wanted to ask a question about the ambient lighting. Mine seems to work perfectly in orange and blue, the dash and door strips light up. However when I select white at the top, only the dash lights up, the strips on the front and back doors remain off. As I said, for orange and blue, all the strips light up.

I'm wondering if this is a fault or if it meant to be that way. I asked the dealer and he had no idea but is going to check since the car is in to have a small bump removed that the delivery truck made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dimitri
The white is really, really dim to see but it's possible the white spectrum is out. I had that happen in my mercedes. There were 3 colors and ONE of the door panel was only illuminating 2 colors. But what's weird is it's really hard for TWO door panels to be out of the same color tho...

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #16
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
The white is really, really dim to see but it's possible the white spectrum is out. I had that happen in my mercedes. There were 3 colors and ONE of the door panel was only illuminating 2 colors. But what's weird is it's really hard for TWO door panels to be out of the same color tho...
What is really weird is it's not even just two panels, it's all four doors that don't light up in white!

I'm waiting to get the car back today but from what they told me they haven't figured it out yet. I was thinking maybe it was a programming issue but i'll post back once I get an update.
Appreciate 0