BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435D/X5 30D

Service History Anomaly

Folks, I went to see a 2015 X5 at my local BMW dealer today and I am a bit confused by the history on the idrive. From memory it had 3 green “ok”’s, then 2 yellow. I know these were late, but not overly bothered as they are still within BMW’s allowed timescale.

However, the most recent entry has a yellow exclamation mark. When I click on this, it shows as per the attached image.

To me, it looks like the brake fluid was late, but the inspection is still outstanding. Yet when you go in to the service check it says the inspection is good until next year. Anyone any ideas?! They still need to put the car through the workshop, but this is niggling at me. If the exclamation mark changes to a yellow OK I’d be happy, but I am unsure about it as it currently sits!

Any thoughts welcome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

The service inspection is not the brake fluid instance as I recall from seeing that on other BMWs. I think that is another CBS value you reset separate from oil, brake fluid, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

If you are inclined, I'm pretty sure you can reset all of these yourself within either iDrive or dash. Maybe that could help?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers folks. Yes the vehicle inspection is reset on the idrive. I didn’t get a chance to play with it today but I thought it was strange that the service check said the vehicle inspection wasn’t actually due, yet it’s shown as overdue when I went in to it.

Is it just likely that the vehicle inspection element of that entry hasn’t been reset, even though the brake service has been entered?

Best case, the vehicle inspection can be reset manually and the exclamation mark will be swapped for a yellow OK. I just don’t know if it’ll be that easy!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
Cheers folks. Yes the vehicle inspection is reset on the idrive. I didn’t get a chance to play with it today but I thought it was strange that the service check said the vehicle inspection wasn’t actually due, yet it’s shown as overdue when I went in to it.

Is it just likely that the vehicle inspection element of that entry hasn’t been reset, even though the brake service has been entered?

Best case, the vehicle inspection can be reset manually and the exclamation mark will be swapped for a yellow OK. I just don’t know if it’ll be that easy!
Yep, it is. I can check on mine if needed, but I remember it was a few clicks here and there, all in the car's interfaces, and it resets. No special coding or equipment is needed! Seems like it's just a reminder similar to what you would set on your phone and all.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The inspections with the little squiggly icon in front of it (vehicle inspection and emissions inspection) are slightly different than the other required services.

The ones with the preceding squiggly icons are statutory inspections (required by municipal/city/county/state) so not everyone has to comply with them. These are the ones you can easily reset in iDrive by selecting it and pressing downward on the iDrive controller (if option w/touch screen…probably can do it touching the iDrive screen)

I don’t have to comply with any statutory inspections were I live…but I purchased an X5 from the state of NY where it was a requirement. So I just changed the next date to 2040. I’ll reset it again if I still own the X5 when 2040 comes around.

The two 6 series Ive owned (one is a Canadian import and it wasn’t required) doesn’t even have them listed because those inspections weren’t required.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-07-2022 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 01:24 AM   #7
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for that. I’m the second photo was it just showing as overdue because you hadn’t reset it?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that. I’m the second photo was it just showing as overdue because you hadn’t reset it?
Yes. In the 2nd pic...when I pressed down on the iDrive controller...it allowed changes to be made to the next inspection date...which you can see in the 3rd pic...which also turned to green highlighted icon (in the upper left). And when you go back to the Service Requirement screen...the statutory Vehicle Inspection service will have a green OK instead of the red (overdue) or amber (coming due) icon.

As mentioned earlier...I went back and changed the date to sometime in 2040.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:59 AM   #9
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep

Did altering the date on its own change the light to green? I was under the impression it needed a manual reset AND the date change.

Based on comments above and elsewhere, I'm quietly confident the exclamation mark will disappear when the dealer gets looking at it. Sadly it'll probably be another couple of weeks before they get it through the AUC process.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did altering the date on its own change the light to green? I was under the impression it needed a manual reset AND the date change.

Based on comments above and elsewhere, I'm quietly confident the exclamation mark will disappear when the dealer gets looking at it. Sadly it'll probably be another couple of weeks before they get it through the AUC process.
Yes, the statutory inspections (the ones with the squiggly icons in front of them) turned green when the date was reset using the iDrive controller knob. Those two inspections didn’t require any special reset procedure…nor did I have to use the instrument cluster reset (like the other service inspections). I just needed to select the DATE, then press down on the iDrive control knob…and the date for the next inspection could manually be selected…using the iDrive control knob.

But those two statutory inspections are not mandatory where I live…so I’m not sure if its that easy where the inspections are required by regulatory statutes.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 04:11 AM   #11
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep

Went back to see the car yesterday after it had been prepared and ended up doing a deal on it, due to collect 2nd Jan. However the service history is still showing as per the above photo. The date on the vehicle inspection has been changed to Aug 23, but it’s still showing it as overdue.

Does it definitely not need some sort of reset as well as the date change? I seem to recall having to reset something in my wife’s 435, but could be wrong!

The dealer is going to look at it next week. Not sure if they’ll be able to reset it by plugging it in. It’s only a minor issue, but it’s bugging me!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Without seeing what is going on…its hard to say. Make sure that you’re not mixing the statutory “vehicle inspection” with the “vehicle check” service.

If it didn’t reset using the iDrive controller knob…then perhaps it is listed in your software version when you scroll through the instrument cluster reset procedure.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 03:26 AM   #13
Lyons
Private First Class
Rep

Just to follow up, the dealer phoned yesterday to say they couldn’t remove the exclamation mark. I don’t really understand how it still shows as service overdue even with the date changed, but alas it seems there’s nothing that can be done!

Given that it’s not an oil service or another mandatory service I’m not overly bothered, and still happy enough to take the car anyway. It’s just annoying that it’s there as it may put any new buyers off on the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 03:53 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Perhaps it will self correct as miles accumulate & gas is consumed…or as you approach the next due date. Good luck and thanks for the update.

Appreciate 0