BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
4lex
Aussie
Rep
Drives: Lots

Sunroof shade

Is it possible to just open the shade a couple of inches together with the glass, to act as a chimney when parked on hot days? I've got a (clean) white car with a ceramic tint, but it's hot where I live. cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:01 AM   #2
afropelican
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 30D xDrive MSport

Yes its possible to tilt the sunroof and open the shade.
With the sunroof and shade fully closed - activate the tilt feature by pushing the switch towards the roof of the vehicle; the sunroof will tilt open and the shade will open slightly to provide the exact feature you are describing.

In Scotland it rains often so I don't do this personally for fear of getting the sunshade / interior wet!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 05:36 AM   #3
4lex
Aussie
Rep

Cheers. This is my fifth or sixth beemer, and the first not to have a tin top. I grew up a 'wee bit outae Glasgee' (Largs)and remember the conditions you describe. Indeed you'll have cause for celebration should the sun become visible for more than an hour this time of year :-) Here however (the other Perth), it probably won't rain at all until after Easter,
and we have plenty of 40°c days, so your tip will be literally life changing 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
afropelican
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 30D xDrive MSport

Small World Mate - I'm originally fae Glesga!

1 Hour of sun is pretty accurate
Don't forget everyone forgets how to drive when the snow falls too!

Frequent 40C - is a big change - we've had a few hot days (only 26ish) here this summer and the leather was scorching getting in and out the car.

Another tip would be to get the BMW app.
Even without any subscriptions - you can ventilate the car from an app on your phone before getting in.
(Doesn't turn AC on, just draws fresh air in through the vents for X mins to get rid of that pocket of hot stagnant air in the car).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You can also set up to two timed park-ventilation events..where you can have the hvac blower turn on prior to a predetermined time you’ll be back at the vehicle…like 15 minutes before leaving work. Or if running short errands…you can initiate “activate now” and the blower will keep running while you shut down/lockup and run your errand.

You can read more about it in the owners manual which is also built into iDrive…which is searchable by keyword. Found in SETTINGS —->CLIMATE:

I have this page programmed into my 2nd (1-8 PROG) buttons so that i dont have to drill down to access it. I use the activate now feature a lot in the summer. Its also valuable when pulling into my garage in hot weather…i activate the blower to prevent the AC funk that can occur from having lots of condensation from the AC running, then parking in an enclosed area with no ventilation…which is a breeding ground for bacteria & mold…thus the funk. Similar to throwing a wet towel in your gym bag…zipping it clooised and leaving it in your hot trunk for a days…then opening it later.

The blower cuts off by itself after 15-20 minutes.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-28-2022 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Just get the sunroof and windshield tinted in Ceramic. Even with just the sunroof, it will remove some of that head in over feeling.

On the windshield don't got over 70%.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 05:23 AM   #7
4lex
Aussie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afropelican View Post
Small World Mate - I'm originally fae Glesga!

Another tip would be to get the BMW app.
Even without any subscriptions - you can ventilate the car from an app on your phone before getting in.
(Doesn't turn AC on, just draws fresh air in through the vents for X mins to get rid of that pocket of hot stagnant air in the car).
So this sounds good. I've managed to get a bmwid, the app, and the confirmation five sent to the car (interesting, must have cellular serve of it's own) bit I can't see any way to interact with the vehicle. Investigation ongoing, but tips welcome:-)

Last edited by 4lex; 12-29-2022 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0