BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

06-19-2023, 11:44 PM   #155
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F86 X6M

Finally

OK, so the mechanic had a contact who was able to supply and code a used DME at short notice. Got installed yesterday, and no CELs or error messages since then after multiple test drives, aside from the IBS, which we already know about and will replace later.

So the car was picked up today! Here are some pics of the X6M in all its glory (sort of). Please excuse the dodgy photoshop skills as I have no idea how to remove the numberplate from the pics.

I must say, having driven the wife's X1 for 6 months, getting behind the wheel of the X6M was like driving a brand new car. One thing I noticed was, even after about driving about 40 mins the oil temp never got to the "12 o'clock" position, which is 120 degrees Celsius. I must have admit I have never paid attention to that dial before, but makes me wonder whether this is normal (it is the coldest period of winter in Melbourne right now), and how long it actually takes for the oil to get up to temp?
Attached Images

Last edited by I Luv BMW; 06-19-2023 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2023, 12:21 AM   #156
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Congratulation, its been a journey.

Enjoy it.

For the oil temp, in comfort mode. It will me about 1mm to the right of the first dot on the left. In Sport+ it would be about 1-2mm to the left of the first dot on the left.

ATM in the morning at like 14C, it takes around 10-15min in suburb traffic to get close to that first dot.

Are you able to say who did the swap?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #157
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks, what a journey. And thanks to especially you and others on this thread for the valuable input and advice along the way.

Can I just clarify a point on the oil temperature. Do you mean that the normal operating temp in comfort mode is just a little right of the first dot, and the normal operating temp in sport mode is just a little left of the first dot? What is the reason for operating temp being higher in comfort mode?

So the oil temp doesn’t need to get to the 12 o’clock position?

Also, in the interests of privacy I will PM you the mechanic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #158
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

All good, happy to help.

Yeah that's correct, the temp should be on/around that first dot. If you are seen it in the middle, your having too much fun or something is wrong.

The reason for the difference between the standard/comfort mode vs Sport+, is in sports+ the ECU opens up all the thermostats for better cooling. Think of it as it's anticipating that you are going to have fun/push the thing and thus need more cooling.

It's perfectly fine to just putt along in Sports+ because the temps are still like mid80C°. Usually when I'm about 15min from home, I'll put in Sports+ to drop the temps before putting in the garage. Less heat build up in engine.

The only downside to sports+ is that all the thermostats are electric. Engaging them is wearing them out, but its cheaper/easier to replace them vs engine.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2023, 11:15 PM   #159
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
The only downside to sports+ is that all the thermostats are electric. Engaging them is wearing them out, but its cheaper/easier to replace them vs engine.
Yep...don't I know it!

Interesting, I always used to make sure I drove home in comfort mode as I thought I was "calming it down" before parking it. Turns out I had it the wrong way around.

Day 2 of driving yesterday. Everything feels good so far. Trying to keep it below 3.000 RPM when cold, and below 5,000 rpm generally for the next 2,000km or so until next oil change. Will hopefully share pics when the time comes.

Coming from driving the X1 for 6 months, even comfort mode in the M at the moment feels quick
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 04:58 PM   #160
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Mate, great to see you enjoying the car. The temp needle has to be at least at the first notch, and for some reason I have noticed that it takes forever to reach the optimum operating temperature.

I am still waiting on the picks from my tear down. I don't know whether they have started looking at it. It has been exactly a month since the fateful Sunday when it when Kaboom.

The have given me a F15 X5 40d loner to drive around

By the way, did you change the engine mounts ... what condition were they in?
      06-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #161
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Oil temp should stay near 205* f. Most all time. On extreme heat cycle, high speed a bit more. Perhaps US gages slightly different
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:45 AM   #162
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Mate, great to see you enjoying the car. The temp needle has to be at least at the first notch, and for some reason I have noticed that it takes forever to reach the optimum operating temperature.

I am still waiting on the picks from my tear down. I don't know whether they have started looking at it. It has been exactly a month since the fateful Sunday when it when Kaboom.

The have given me a F15 X5 40d loner to drive around

By the way, did you change the engine mounts ... what condition were they in?
Thanks! Long road it was. Almost a week of driving now. Had the chance to do a couple of lengthy drives and everything seems to operating as it should.

For me, at the moment in Melbourne winter, it takes a good 15-20mins of driving in comfort mode for the oil temp to reach the first notch.

BMW at least gave you a relatively "decent" loaner. Hopefully you have some progress soon.

As you probably gathered from this thread, I know very little about cars! I didnt' do the engine mounts and don't know what condition they were in. I will ask the mechanic when I take it in for the first "break in" oil change. Had I known previously, I guess I may have asked him about them before the engine being put back in.
Appreciate 1
aussiem3274.00
      06-26-2023, 05:42 PM   #163
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
Thanks! Long road it was. Almost a week of driving now. Had the chance to do a couple of lengthy drives and everything seems to operating as it should.

For me, at the moment in Melbourne winter, it takes a good 15-20mins of driving in comfort mode for the oil temp to reach the first notch.

BMW at least gave you a relatively "decent" loaner. Hopefully you have some progress soon.

As you probably gathered from this thread, I know very little about cars! I didnt' do the engine mounts and don't know what condition they were in. I will ask the mechanic when I take it in for the first "break in" oil change. Had I known previously, I guess I may have asked him about them before the engine being put back in.
Good Luck! The dealer has started the teardown process and hopefully by the end of the week I will have some idea about the extent of the damage. Nevertheless, BMW or the dealer will take care of the bill.

I brought the issue up with BMW independent of dealer process, and they responded within 48 hours, and it was positive. They are waiting on dealer informing them of the extent of the damage.

One of the main issues with the E92 ///3 engine was in addition the bearing issue, it was the engine mount too. That's why I enquired, and I'll have a look at mine and depending on the condition will have them replaced. They're not cheap.
      06-27-2023, 04:14 AM   #164
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Good Luck! The dealer has started the teardown process and hopefully by the end of the week I will have some idea about the extent of the damage. Nevertheless, BMW or the dealer will take care of the bill.

I brought the issue up with BMW independent of dealer process, and they responded within 48 hours, and it was positive. They are waiting on dealer informing them of the extent of the damage.

One of the main issues with the E92 ///3 engine was in addition the bearing issue, it was the engine mount too. That's why I enquired, and I'll have a look at mine and depending on the condition will have them replaced. They're not cheap.
Very keen to hear what the official BMW reasoning will be behind the failure, if they do even share this in any detail with you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 02:04 AM   #165
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Might have a problem.

In low RPMs, around 1,500 I have noticed some shuddering/vibration especially when I let off the throttle and re-engage the throttle. Not a real violent shaking, but almost like something is "slipping".

Transmission fluid was changed, but the mechanic suggested to put off the transfer case oil change until the next engine oil change. Could this be just a case of changing the TC oil and resetting adaptations?

Edit: the transmission oil was changed as part of the engine install. I assume that the transmission adaptations would have been reset. Could I be that it is trying to “re-learn”? Anyway I will speak to the mechanic tomorrow but interested to hear others’ thoughts
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:17 AM   #166
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

The transmission adaptation isn't needed durring an oil change, but doing it will make the thing drive worse as it relearns.

For the TC, there is a fuse apparently that you can pull to disable it. I have no idea which one it is, as the manual has 2 fuses.

You can just pull the plug on the TC actuating motor. That will do the same thing. The motor thing will be on the side of the TC that goes to the rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 02:52 AM   #167
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Had the car up on the hoist today. Looks like an issue with the front drive shaft - the one that connects from the transmission to the transfer case. The mechanic showed me that there was a fair bit of "play" where the universal joint(I think this is what it is called?) is - looks like it has worn out.

Apparently the draft shaft in the F86 is the same as in the X5/X6 and there was a recall on this part in the US for X5/X6.

Glad I caught this early, because I hear that if it snaps it could take out the entire transmission with it, but it also just means more $$$. I think I am starting to admit that this might be the final straw for me now with this car.

Last edited by I Luv BMW; 06-30-2023 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #168
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Man that absolutely sucks, but lucky you caught this in time before it blew up again.

Wasn't there a guy on here selling upgraded driveshafts with longer splines, as well as a bolt on cover for insurance in the event of a failure?

He's in the US though I believe so not sure on shipping to Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #169
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Yeah I think I read about that as well. Thankfully I think the front driveshaft for the F86 is the same as in the F15 so no ///M Tax. But overall sentiment regarding the car is now meh. The car will stay around for as long as I can find a decent price on a car I like, which I guess could be some time with current market.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:20 PM   #170
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

What were you thinking of getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:30 PM   #171
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What were you thinking of getting?
I've been looking at the M340i since February/March. Test drove a pre-LCI version and enjoyed it. And after driving my wife's X1 for the past 6 months, as poor as the drive is, I have become accustomed to the lower seating position. Getting back into the X6M a couple of weeks ago felt like being in a tractor. My car before the X6M was an F30 328i.

There were some pretty good prices going for used/demo G20 M340i LCI a couple of months back. There are only a few around now and the asking prices are just bonkers. If I could have my time again I would have just chucked in a junker engine in the X6M and traded it in for an M340i at the nearest BMW dealership.

Of course the M340i is not as powerful as the X6M, but I sort of see it as a trade up for new/better tech, new idrive (if I can get past the bolted on ipads), obviously better fuel economy, and more reliable B58 engine from all reports.

I must say though, M cars do seem to hold value quite well.

Edit: Audi S4 and RSQ3 would also be on my list. Used to drive a TT at one point so have some experience with Audis.

Last edited by I Luv BMW; 07-04-2023 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:45 PM   #172
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Yeah the LCI's do look nice. Price wise if you go pre-LCI, you could prob just do a strait swap. Not sure on what the tech differences LCI and pre.

What about the G06 in 40i? Granted the LCI is $$$
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 11:36 PM   #173
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the LCI's do look nice. Price wise if you go pre-LCI, you could prob just do a strait swap. Not sure on what the tech differences LCI and pre.

What about the G06 in 40i? Granted the LCI is $$$
I could go the pre-LCI, but aside from the looks, another key reason that I would prefer LCI is due to 5-year warranty given most are registered/complied from a date which is eligible for the 5-year.

Pre-LCI means that realistically, I may only have 1-1.5 years of warranty remaining.

Haven't thought about the G06 because I don't really have a practical need for a vehicle of that size (or the F86 for that matter). The X3 would actually be an ideal size but standard X3 would be too boring I feel, and X3M and X3 M40i LCI too $$$
Appreciate 0