BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Jiyar
New Member
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: Bmw x3 2013 28i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iraq

iTrader: (0)

Auto start stop function

Hello guys , I've recently bought a X5 35i x drive , and its 1000 km so far , I noticed the auto start stop function seldom working , my pervious X3 was always turning off even in short stops ,
So its normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
opasha's Avatar
830
Rep
3,991
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Depends on what MODE you are in. In ECO PRO it is always on. In COMFORT it should be on. It kicks in if you are idle for longer than 3-4 seconds. In SPORT mode, it is always off to avoid throttle lag of any kind.
__________________
2014 X5 50i X-Line // Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
midlifecrisis
Captain
66
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2015 M235 Cabrio
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I've found that it doesn't always kick in in hot weather in comfort mode until the cabin temp has reached the desired setting. As mentioned, it always seems to turn off at stops in Eco-pro.
__________________
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
2015 M235i Cabrio
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite)
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great)
2012 Mini Cooper - (wife's car)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
MRV99
Captain
MRV99's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
856
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Naperville

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
There are any factors which the auto stop/start feature will not engage. Some of the factors is: engine operating temp, outside temp, battery condition(charge level), electrical draw(AC on defrosters on) performance mode. I am sure there are other factors but these are the ones that I experience in my M3 stop/start when I had it on
__________________

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
GeloCH
New Member
Switzerland
10
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: X5 30d M Sport, Space Grey
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Geneva

iTrader: (0)

As a side question, are there any disadvantages with using the start/stop? does it cause more wear and tear on the starting motor and or battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
barcelona
Major
barcelona's Avatar
Canada
108
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I do not use ASS, as I believe the starter may need replacement sooner. Dealer said the starter is heavy duty to accommodate ASS, yet the manual still warns you. Factors or costs to consider: gas, starter, environment. I did see many taxi's in Munchen use ASS.

Owners manual manual p.67
Certain vehicle components may experience
additional wear as a result of this system.

The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
▷ External temperature too low.
▷ The external temperature is high and automatic
climate control is running.
▷ The passenger compartment has not yet
been heated or cooled to the required
level.
▷ The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
▷ The wheels are at a sharp angle or the
steering wheel is being turned.
▷ After driving in reverse.
▷ Fogging of the windows when the automatic
climate control is switched on.
▷ Vehicle battery is heavily discharged.
▷ The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
▷ HDC Hill Descent Control is activated.
▷ The parking assistant is activated.
▷ Stop-and-go traffic.
▷ The transmission selector lever is in position
N or M/S.
▷ Use of fuel with high ethanol content.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
opasha's Avatar
830
Rep
3,991
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
I do not use ASS, as I believe the starter may need replacement sooner. Dealer said the starter is heavy duty to accommodate ASS, yet the manual still warns you. Factors or costs to consider: gas, starter, environment. I did see many taxi's in Munchen use ASS.

Owners manual manual p.67
Certain vehicle components may experience
additional wear as a result of this system.

The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
▷ External temperature too low.
▷ The external temperature is high and automatic
climate control is running.
▷ The passenger compartment has not yet
been heated or cooled to the required
level.
▷ The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
▷ The wheels are at a sharp angle or the
steering wheel is being turned.
▷ After driving in reverse.
▷ Fogging of the windows when the automatic
climate control is switched on.
▷ Vehicle battery is heavily discharged.
▷ The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
▷ HDC Hill Descent Control is activated.
▷ The parking assistant is activated.
▷ Stop-and-go traffic.
▷ The transmission selector lever is in position
N or M/S.
▷ Use of fuel with high ethanol content.
Solid post, @barcelona! I also don't use the ASS feature because of these very reasons, and because I don't like lag period (internet or cars ).
__________________
2014 X5 50i X-Line // Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
GGPlena
Private
9
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 530d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeloCH View Post
As a side question, are there any disadvantages with using the start/stop? does it cause more wear and tear on the starting motor and or battery?
It will most definitely cause more wear/tear on the engine etc. I think that it is also mentioned in the owners manual.

One should remember that the start/stop functionality is a system fleet wide trick to get emissions down. This system thinking approach does in my humble opinion not add any personal value to the individual owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Jiyar
New Member
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: Bmw x3 2013 28i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iraq

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys for replay , here in Iraq temps are mostly at 40C and automatic AC always on , plus our fuel octane is less than 90 , all this may lead to ASS to not work .
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
42pilot
Captain
42pilot's Avatar
370
Rep
710
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport
Join Date: May 2014
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Its quite possibly the worst feature of this car. When the system is on, and you come to a stop in traffic, all the lubricating oil drains from the cam lobes causing increased wear, the oil pressure feeding the main bearings drops to zero and allows metal to metal contact (on every start this happens, and slightly adds to engine wear on each start), allows the engine to heat up further (oil and water cool the internal engine parts) and increases the duty cycles to the starter by a factor of X (for most of us, maybe a factor of 10 at least in medium traffic conditions). I think the motors with turbos still have the cooling pump on as normal, otherwise oil would heat up and burn (coke) around the bearing and cut the turbo bearing life in half.
__________________
Sold: 2014 X5 xDrive35d MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Armen383's Avatar
Cyprus
47
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Limassol

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Its quite possibly the worst feature of this car.
I'll just have to go there: it's definitely the worst feature of ANY car. Every bloody time I hear about some new tighter regulations with regards to CO2 and all that rubbish ECO-talks, I just open up good old George Carlin, may his soul RIP, "The Planet is Fine!" - and watch it for the XXth time...
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
ChipB
First Lieutenant
ChipB's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
all the lubricating oil drains from the cam lobes causing increased wear, the oil pressure feeding the main bearings drops to zero and allows metal to metal contact (on every start this happens, and slightly adds to engine wear on each start), allows the engine to heat up further (oil and water cool the internal engine parts) and increases the duty cycles to the starter by a factor of X (for most of us, maybe a factor of 10 at least in medium traffic conditions).
I think this is a bit over-stated. Yes, there's extra wear, no doubt. But all the engine oil doesn't instantaneosuly drain when the pump stops - it takes several minutes for oil film to dissipate. And since the oil is warm, pressure builds almost immediately when the engine restarts. As for extra wear on the starter motor - sure, but the engine is warm and well oiled (at least compared to a cold start) and the RPMs for restart are very low, so the work required from the starter motor is quite low. Generally electric motors fail due to a combination of age, corrosion, and the stress of having to do heavy work, not so much from duty cycles themselves. I would guess that the wear on the restart is probably 1/10 of cold start wear. You factor X is therefore more like 2 than 10. I owned my last two BMWs for 12 years and 11 years respectively, and never had to replace a starter motor even though they were daily drivers. So the trade off is the potential extra cost of a replacement starter motor that this vehicle may need that it otherwise wouldn't have, versus gas savings.

I will say that it takes getting used to. I find if I don't pay attention at the stop light and suddenly realize that the light has turned green and try to accelerate quickly it's a pain in the butt. The practice I've adopted is watch the lights, and when the cross-street's light turns yellow a slight lift of pressure from the brake pedal - not enough to cause the vehicle to roll forward - is enough to start the motor so that it's ready 3 seconds later when the light turns green. On the other hand my wife hates it and always turns the feature off.
__________________
F83 M4 convertible, F15 X5 xDrive35i
Previous: E93 335i, E36 328iC, E28 528e, E21 320i

Last edited by ChipB; 06-12-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
38
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nottingham UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
I think this is a bit over-stated. Yes, there's extra wear, no doubt. But all the engine oil doesn't instantaneosuly drain when the pump stops - it takes several minutes for oil film to dissipate. And since the oil is warm, pressure builds almost immediately when the engine restarts. As for extra wear on the starter motor - sure, but the engine is warm and well oiled (at least compared to a cold start) and the RPMs for restart are very low, so the work required from the starter motor is quite low. Generally electric motors fail due to a combination of age, corrosion, and the stress of having to do heavy work, not so much from duty cycles themselves. I would guess that the wear on the restart is probably 1/10 of cold start wear. You factor X is therefore more like 2 than 10. I owned my last two BMWs for 12 years and 11 years respectively, and never had to replace a starter motor even though they were daily drivers. So the trade off is the potential extra cost of a replacement starter motor that this vehicle may need that it otherwise wouldn't have, versus gas savings.

I will say that it takes getting used to. I find if I don't pay attention at the stop light and suddenly realize that the light has turned green and try to accelerate quickly it's a pain in the butt. The practice I've adopted is watch the lights, and when the cross-street's light turns yellow a slight lift of pressure from the brake pedal - not enough to cause the vehicle to roll forward - is enough to start the motor so that it's ready 3 seconds later when the light turns green. On the other hand my wife hates it and always turns the feature off.
If you don't like it why not just turn it off? Undoubtedly it is there so the 'tests' for MPG & CO2 shows a higher MPG and a lower CO2 figure. The plug in hybrid X5 should be interesting next year with instant torque from the electric motor so no lag at take off.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
opasha's Avatar
830
Rep
3,991
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

This is where coding is great . I have it off in Comfort mode by default.
__________________
2014 X5 50i X-Line // Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
Curamrda
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: e92 330D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plzen

iTrader: (0)

yes yes.. its best to turn it off as Default >

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=66
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
zinengineer
Private First Class
zinengineer's Avatar
64
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Western Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

I have it coded "off" default on both my cars.

1. If I want a car that turns itself off at stop lights, I'll buy a Prius or Tesla
2. If you're worried about fuel economy, you have the wrong car

My 2c
__________________
2016 X5 35i Xdrive M Sport; Space Gray Metallic/Mocha Dakota
2014 535i Xdrive luxury line; Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Dakota
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
Scott2.0
New Member
12
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 50i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

My service adviser said that it will not work when it's hotter than 98 degrees outside.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #18
expidia
Private First Class
expidia's Avatar
27
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2016 X5 xD 35i & 2014 Audi Q5
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA "Make America Great Again"

iTrader: (0)

Who buys a $60,000 plus car and worries about the minuscule gas saving when stopped at a light?

And how dumb was the buttons design to have an orange light "on" when the feature is "off" and visa versa
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #19
hyde
Major
hyde's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
1,167
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Who buys a $60,000 plus car and worries about the minuscule gas saving when stopped at a light?

And how dumb was the buttons design to have an orange light "on" when the feature is "off" and visa versa
Environmentalists who can't let go of BMW.
Eventually think about all cars having this function, all cars stopping at the same time on all red lights, I am not a scientist, but I am sure that would make a difference on pollution/emissions, and the gas savings returning in less gasoline usage.
__________________
2015 X5 - xLine Jet Black with LCEW, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZLP, ZPP, Soft Close, Shades, HK Sound, Tinted Fronts.
2012 X5 - Deep Sea Blue with Premium Package + Black Nevada Leather + Premium Sound + Soft Auto-Close Doors + Nav + Shades.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
expidia
Private First Class
expidia's Avatar
27
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2016 X5 xD 35i & 2014 Audi Q5
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA "Make America Great Again"

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Environmentalists who can't let go of BMW.
Eventually think about all cars having this function, all cars stopping at the same time on all red lights, I am not a scientist, but I am sure that would make a difference on pollution/emissions, and the gas savings returning in less gasoline usage.
My beef for 50 years has been towns that refuse to set their lights up in progressive linkage. Which means you stop at any of the early lights and then do the speed limit and cruise through most of the next upcoming 9 lights.


I can travel a 3 mile route to me daughters house and catch 10 lights along the way having to come to complete stop each time "and their is no cross traffic most of the time". But they can't install a sensor to keep light green, if no cross traffic.

But they can install money making red light cameras for millions. How much gas does that waste? How much asbestos brake dust has to be scattered into our air with each stop light?
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
Rotzy
Private First Class
Rotzy's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2016 F15, 2011 E93
Join Date: May 2014
Location: RI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
My beef for 50 years has been towns that refuse to set their lights up in progressive linkage. Which means you stop at any of the early lights and then do the speed limit and cruise through most of the next upcoming 9 lights.


I can travel a 3 mile route to me daughters house and catch 10 lights along the way having to come to complete stop each time "and their is no cross traffic most of the time". But they can't install a sensor to keep light green, if no cross traffic.

But they can install money making red light cameras for millions. How much gas does that waste? How much asbestos brake dust has to be scattered into our air with each stop light?
Amen, brotha'
__________________
2016 F15 X5 50i M-Sport
2011 E93 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
MN2///M
Captain
MN2///M's Avatar
United_States
197
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: very fast!
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
I'll just have to go there: it's definitely the worst feature of ANY car. Every bloody time I hear about some new tighter regulations with regards to CO2 and all that rubbish ECO-talks, I just open up good old George Carlin, may his soul RIP, "The Planet is Fine!" - and watch it for the XXth time...
George Carlin was awesome....preach brother, preach.
__________________
2003 BMW 330i
2016 BMW M4 - ED May 2016, PCD Aug 2016
2017 X5 xDrive35i - PCD Jan2017
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST