BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

Buying a used 2015 X5 35D

I'm just about to close a deal on a used X5 35D 2015 with the following options.

- M sport package with Nappa Mocha leather interior
- 20" M spoke wheels
- LED lighting package
- Premium package, has 9100 miles
- Driver Assistance and Assistance Plus packages
- Bang and Olufsen speaker system
- Dynamic Handling Package
- ACC Stop and go with Active Driving Assistant
- Parking Assistant, Smartphone integration
- Cold Weather package

I drove the car and it looks and feels to be in great condition, looks almost brand new interior and exterior. Am getting a deal for $62k. Just wanted to get your opinion on the price. This is my first post, have been reading and learning about X5 for couple of months now. Test drove quite a few X5's and really like the diesel model, never thought I would go with a diesel version before trying it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

That car definitely has some fantastic options.

I don't think I can comment if 62 is a good deal or not. Who is selling it? Private sale, a dealer, or a BMW dealer? What was MSRP on the car and why would someone sell it with 9100 miles on it? All That will make a difference.

Have you seen the carfax or the service history? If it has been in service for 12 months it should at least have 1 service done.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for responding Jon.

Its been sold by a private party, only reason they want to sell is because they are tired of searching for diesel stations in their area. I checked the carfax detailed history, no accidents, no issues, car has been serviced at scheduled maintenance and the carfax report looks clean, original msrp was $84k. Initially I was skeptical too, but after talking to them few times and test driving the car I couldn't find anything out of the way. Am also getting a BMW inspection just to be absolutely safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdAge View Post
I'm just about to close a deal on a used X5 35D 2015 with the following options.

- M sport package with Nappa Mocha leather interior
- 20" M spoke wheels
- LED lighting package
- Premium package, has 9100 miles
- Driver Assistance and Assistance Plus packages
- Bang and Olufsen speaker system
- Dynamic Handling Package
- ACC Stop and go with Active Driving Assistant
- Parking Assistant, Smartphone integration
- Cold Weather package

I drove the car and it looks and feels to be in great condition, looks almost brand new interior and exterior. Am getting a deal for $62k. Just wanted to get your opinion on the price. This is my first post, have been reading and learning about X5 for couple of months now. Test drove quite a few X5's and really like the diesel model, never thought I would go with a diesel version before trying it.
The dealer most likely has offered the owner anywhere between high 40s to mid 50s. Check the cars.com, autotrade.com, kbb and most importantly black book or recent manheim auto auction prices (via any dealer you know) to have a picture of current prices. Add a few grands (up to you how many) to the dealer auction price and here is your middle price that should make both parties happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
The dealer most likely has offered the owner anywhere between high 40s to mid 50s. Check the cars.com, autotrade.com, kbb and most importantly black book or recent manheim auto auction prices (via any dealer you know) to have a picture of current prices. Add a few grands (up to you how many) to the dealer auction price and here is your middle price that should make both parties happy.
Yes, I think probably mid to high 50's. I have been checking autotrader for weeks now and this was one of the lowest I could find, checked cars.com too. However I had not checked kbb, which I did now and interesting that it shows a price of 59k (private party) and 61.5k (dealer) when I add all the options.

I think price wise am ok, just wanted to post here in the forum to learn anything that I might have overseen, thanks for responding.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Yes, I think probably mid to high 50's. I have been checking autotrader for weeks now and this was one of the lowest I could find, checked cars.com too. However I had not checked kbb, which I did now and interesting that it shows a price of 59k (private party) and 61.5k (dealer) when I add all the options.

I think price wise am ok, just wanted to post here in the forum to learn anything that I might have overseen, thanks for responding.
well, hate to say this as I am also in the seller's position from time to time, but as a buyer, I would try to get the best deal anyway, kbb has unrealistic prices and options don't mean much in used car transactions with dealers at all. high 50s is the max today, and the seller should be happy to get anywhere close to that from any dealer. dealers would most likely offer high 50s with some caveats like purchase of another vehicle from him/her and trading this one. stand alone sale would net them less than that. for low 60s I could get a brand new MY16 leftover if searched hard enough. as a reference point, i was offered $52-54K for a MY15 X6 xD35i with 8K miles on it and MSRP was $75K+.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:19 AM   #7
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
well, hate to say this as I am also in the seller's position from time to time, but as a buyer, I would try to get the best deal anyway, kbb has unrealistic prices and options don't mean much in used car transactions with dealers at all. high 50s is the max today, and the seller should be happy to get anywhere close to that from any dealer. dealers would most likely offer high 50s with some caveats like purchase of another vehicle from him/her and trading this one. stand alone sale would net them less than that. for low 60s I could get a brand new MY16 leftover if searched hard enough. as a reference point, i was offered $52-54K for a MY15 X6 xD35i with 8K miles on it and MSRP was $75K+.
Yes, getting the best deal or atleast close to that is what I try too. Btw, this is a standalone sale/buy and am not doing any trade in. I've searched extensively for the past couple of months in autotrader, cars.com, carfax etc and could not find anything close to this deal. I admit that I don't need all these options, but couldn't find anything even with half the options. I'm looking for Driver Assistance Plus package with Lighting package and M sport either '15 or '16 model with low miles (less than or around 9k) and unfortunately have another requirement and that is, no black interior. This last requirement is where I was hit, more than 2/3rds of the search results showed a black interior. So essentially this car was the perfect deal I could find for my requirements including that it had to be a diesel version. Add on to all of this, its in a different state , but luckily I had a buddy of mine who lived few miles away and I had him drive. Importantly I got a chance to go there and drive the car, so I have seen it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

If you can roll it for a mid 50k price you will have done well. While it is not "loaded" you have all of the "must haves" and will be very happy once you realize it's capabilities. Good luck!
      08-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
If you can roll it for a mid 50k price you will have done well. While it is not "loaded" you have all of the "must haves" and will be very happy once you realize it's capabilities. Good luck!
Not loaded? What is it missing? To me it looks to have had all the major option boxes ticked.
‘22 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Retail on that up here in Vancouver would be $58-62K USD, so you're right on the money for our market. Can't speak for yours.

Last edited by stewy604; 08-11-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

F15GorDe, The seller had it priced for $65k, I bought it down to $60k and $1.5k for shipping fees (closed shipping, yes am shipping it from a different state). I could not get him any further down on the price as he was willing to walk away from the deal if I did. So from my perspective it is $61.5k.

The car looks quite loaded to me, the only features not in that list is Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection and Rear seat entertainment, both of which I absolutely don't need.

If I can find a new car with all of the options except Dynamic Handling Package and B&O Audio for around $62-63k, I would have gone for it. But the closest I could find was $70k, unless anyone can prove me otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Retail on that up here in Vancouver would be $58-62K, so you're right on the money for our market. Can't speak for yours.
Yes agree. I have looked for months now and this was the best I could find.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #13
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
Not loaded? What is it missing? To me it looks to have had all the major option boxes ticked.
Night-vision, ceramic controls, rear entertainment, manual shades are about all that's left. NV is left out by more than 80-85% of the builds. That's a shame. We travel in ours and it's very useful where there are animals on the roads. In our neighborhood the early morning joggers in their dark colored running gear stand out in the pre-dawn dark.

Let us know when it arrives. You'll be very happy.
      08-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Night-vision, ceramic controls, rear entertainment, manual shades are about all that's left. NV is left out by more than 80-85% of the builds. That's a shame. We travel in ours and it's very useful where there are animals on the roads. In our neighborhood the early morning joggers in their dark colored running gear stand out in the pre-dawn dark.

Let us know when it arrives. You'll be very happy.
I forget to mention, the car does come with Ceramic controls, just not night vision and rear entertainment, no manual shades either.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
I forget to mention, the car does come with Ceramic controls, just not night vision and rear entertainment, no manual shades either.
Have you bought this car yet? What color is it? If white, I would have bought it myself if I hadn't bought my current X5. Sounds like a very nice ride at a decent price. I'd go for it.
‘22 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The car isn't loaded, but you have some very nice options. Have you pulled the trigger on it yet? Any photos you can share with us?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 03:38 AM   #17
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
Have you bought this car yet? What color is it? If white, I would have bought it myself if I hadn't bought my current X5. Sounds like a very nice ride at a decent price. I'd go for it.
Going through the bank loan now and in last stages, so not bought just yet. It is Mineral White Metallic. I actually just today came to know that it does not have the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP), so am kinda little disappointed that I was misinformed. The seller sent me the original build details and it does not contain DHP nor ACC Stop and Go. However I see from the dials on the steering wheel that it does contain ACC Stop and Go, so still unsure about the DHP. I think I will do the deal either way, but want to make sure nothing else is missing from the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #18
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
The car isn't loaded, but you have some very nice options. Have you pulled the trigger on it yet? Any photos you can share with us?
I don't have good photos of the car, but here are a couple taken quickly from my phone. Once I complete the deal i will take more with my SLR.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Doesn't sound like such a sweet deal anymore
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Doesn't sound like such a sweet deal anymore
Why do you say that?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #21
knepsterd
Major
Rep

Knock $2k off for not representing properly that it had DHP
Worth $58k in private sale much more than dealer and the seller has a real interested party. I always say have discipline to walk away. Brain over heart.
Galves is has it painfully low if a trade in at dealer
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      08-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
knepsterd
Major
Rep

If you are shipping from another state then your open to exploring the full field of cars available, no?
Go on the plethora of websites avail for private party and dealer used cars...you might find a DHP or two and loaded. Most people with DHP already have a loaded car. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0