BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Real Time Traffic (RTTI) not working?

I'm not seeing any of the traffic flow (or any other traffic related data) showing up in our 2016 F15. It works fine in my other car (also MY16). I have checked all of the settings and it appears as though we're just not getting any traffic data at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Here's what I've tried so far:

1) https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com shows an active RTTI subscription for our VIN and lists the service as active.

2) The car's internet connection is working because it can do online searches and locate gas stations, etc.

3) ConnectedDrive app works and can send commands that the vehicle executes.

BTW, I successfully coded the anti-glare high beams. I couldn't find anything to indicate that this might have broken traffic, but just calling it out here in case. The only other coding I've done is removing disclaimers and folding mirrors.

We've only had the car for a few weeks and I can't recall if the traffic was ever actually working.

I may try to call BMW ConnectedDrive/Assist tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't break it w/ my coding somehow.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by mntbiker; 08-24-2016 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

from time to time it will go out from my experience. it will eventually pop back up on the screen with the green yellow and red roads give it a day or two. in the mean time download waze on your phone and use that to tell you the traffic situation
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305 View Post
from time to time it will go out from my experience. it will eventually pop back up on the screen with the green yellow and red roads give it a day or two. in the mean time download waze on your phone and use that to tell you the traffic situation
Same experience here... And I love Waze, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

I did also experience that sometimes it does not work at all for random period of time.

However since last week its mega slow to initalize after the first start up. Nearly 8mins, before the trafic data comes on the screen/map. It did not do before, it was way faster 1min,cca.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I cannot stand the zig-zag directions of waze. I much prefer BMW navigation. If you want same service as BMW RTTI, use Inrix App.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      08-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep

My problem is not just with ARTTI, but all of the Connected Drive services. I called the Genius and he confirmed that I was missing a bunch of menus (BMW Online, etc) and my "Update BMW Assist" option is greyed out. He said I'll need to take it in for service.

This bulletin (which does not explicitly list the F15, and is old) describes my problem exactly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=26
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
My problem is not just with ARTTI, but all of the Connected Drive services. I called the Genius and he confirmed that I was missing a bunch of menus (BMW Online, etc) and my "Update BMW Assist" option is greyed out. He said I'll need to take it in for service.

This bulletin (which does not explicitly list the F15, and is old) describes my problem exactly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=26
Had exactly the same!!! Happened out of nowhere. Was scheduled for service, they sounded like a big deal issue and hardware part exchanges, coding etc...
in the end someone told them just to reboot the system by disconnecting the power. so they did unplug the battery for 10mins, all worked fine afterwards.
perhaps you can try it on your own to save time.....
Appreciate 2
mntbiker123.00
      09-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Posting an update here.. finally resolved after two 4 hour trips to the dealer. The first time they said it was an issue with BMW Assist not having my email address set properly after the purchase. Then we resolved that but it still did not work.

They tried rebooting the car, disconnecting the battery but none of those things worked. They had to fully recode the car and that fixed it.

So I traded euro LEDs for real-time traffic. I can't stomach re-doing all of the LED coding. It was such a pain.

EDIT: Almaretto is amazing and I got my NGHB LEDs back!

Last edited by mntbiker; 09-24-2016 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
So I traded euro LEDs for real-time traffic. I can't stomach re-doing all of the LED coding. It was such a pain.
I just finished updating built in cheat sheets for E-sys. I have not had a change to double-check work, but I could quickly code your CAFD's for NHGB if you send them.
Appreciate 1
mntbiker123.00
      07-03-2017, 02:46 AM   #10
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Posting an update here.. finally resolved after two 4 hour trips to the dealer. The first time they said it was an issue with BMW Assist not having my email address set properly after the purchase. Then we resolved that but it still did not work.

They tried rebooting the car, disconnecting the battery but none of those things worked. They had to fully recode the car and that fixed it.

EDIT: Almaretto is amazing and I got my NGHB LEDs back!
I'm having the same issue. It has been a couple days. So re-coding is the only way to solve this issue?
      12-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

argh, I'm running into the same issue. I bought a CPO car from a BMW dealership.

I just called Assist to "connect and register my current BMW account to my new vehicle". To get to this stage took 15 minutes of convincing the CSR that I don't NEED a paid subscription, bc basic RTTI should work, and I'm not looking for Advanced RTTI.

Anyways, so supposedly, after you call to connect your account, you then need to go back into Connected Drive options in the idrive and ask it to connect to services.

I then found out, RTTI now is $50 a year after 3 years from your in-service date. Here's menu of all the Assist features you have to now buy:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_2b7059e3...2-65c4ea39ff9c

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-12-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

The initial “free” 3 year period in my 2015 X5d expired last month. Just checked what the renewal cost and found that I got double billed for the renewal.

The RTTI is very useful for us, even when we use the other very useful app, WAZE.

I’ll keep it for as long as it’s supported.

BTW, thanks for the above link, hadn’t seen that before.

Last edited by F15GorDe; 12-12-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0