BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BMW X5 eDrive Plug-In Hybrid Concept to Debut at Frankfurt IAA

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW X5 eDrive Plug-In Hybrid Concept to Debut at Frankfurt IAA
COMMENTS
Name:  P90131125_highRes copy.jpg
Views: 11087
Size:  105.7 KB

BMW eDrive meets BMW xDrive – an innovative combination designed to deliver efficient driving pleasure: The BMW Concept5 X5 eDrive.

Munich.
The new BMW X5 raises efficiency to another new level in the world of the luxurious Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). BMW is using the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show (IAA) to present the logical next step towards landmark efficiency in the SAV segment. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive combines the brand of driving pleasure for which the xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is renowned and a luxurious ambience within the variable-use interior with a plug-in hybrid drive concept. Its innovative BMW eDrive technology guarantees the hallmark sporting ability of a BMW, while at the same time opening the door to speeds of up to 120 km/h (75 mph), a maximum range of 30 kilometres (19 miles) on electric power alone and average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 3.8 litres per 100 kilometres (74.3 mpg imp).

The concept study’s BMW eDrive system consists of a four-cylinder combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an electric motor which is also the work of the BMW Group. The 70 kW/95 hp motor sources its energy from a high-voltage lithium-ion battery. It can be charged from any domestic power socket and has sufficient capacity to enable the car to travel up to 30 kilometres (19 miles) solely on electric power, generating zero local emissions in the process. The high-voltage battery developed for the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is mounted in a particularly crash-safe position underneath the load area, whose capacity remains virtually unchanged as a result. There is a choice of three driving modes, depending on requirements and situation – the intelligent hybrid drive option for an optimum balance between sportiness and efficiency; pure electric and therefore emission-free driving; or Save Battery mode to maintain the current battery charge.

The groundbreaking character of the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is highlighted by understated but precisely arranged design accents. For example, the kidney grille slats, air intake bars and the inlay in the rear bumper – all in the BMW i Blue colour developed for the BMW i brand – present an appealing contrast to the Silverflake metallic exterior paintwork. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive also comes with specially designed roof rails, a connector for the charging cable that lights up during charging, and 21-inch light-alloy wheels in an exclusive, aerodynamically optimised design.

BMW eDrive in a Sports Activity Vehicle: intelligent hybrid technology delivers outstanding efficiency and characteristic driving pleasure.
Electrification of the powertrain allows BMW to unlock impressive potential for reducing fuel consumption and emissions. The BMW eDrive technology developed by the BMW Group to this end comes in various forms, each tailored precisely to the vehicle concept at hand. The BMW Group’s first purely electrically powered vehicle to go into series production – the BMW i3 – celebrates its world premiere at the IAA 2013. And taking to the stage alongside the i3 will be the BMW Concept X5 eDrive, which follows in the tyre tracks of the BMW Concept Active Tourer unveiled in 2012 as the second plug-in hybrid vehicle to feature BMW eDrive.

BMW eDrive technology hooks up with the intelligent all-wheel-drive system BMW xDrive for the first time in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive. The new study vehicle offers superior driving characteristics underpinned by the electronically controlled and fully variable distribution of drive between its front and rear wheels. Regardless of the driving mode selected, the power generated by the electric motor, combustion engine or the two units together is channelled quickly and precisely to the wheels where it can be converted most effectively into propulsion. This allows the BMW Concept X5 eDrive to demonstrate the typical qualities of an SAV – assured traction and optimised stability in all weather and road conditions, coupled with increased agility through dynamically taken corners – in outstandingly efficient fashion. The versatile and sporty driving attributes of the BMW Concept X5 eDrive are complemented by average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 3.8 litres per 100 kilometres (74.3 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of under 90 grams per kilometre.

The electric motor in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive generates maximum output of 70 kW/95 hp and – thanks to impressive torque available from the word go – demonstrates the instantaneous power delivery that has become a hallmark of electric drive systems. All of which elevates driving pleasure and efficiency to another level. The synchronous electric motor developed by the BMW Group also maintains a steady flow of power into the upper reaches of its load range and keeps weight low. The motor alone can propel the BMW Concept X5 eDrive to a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph). As part of the boost function, it can also be used to give the combustion engine a noticeable hit of extra energy during acceleration and during dynamic mid-range sprints. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive can complete the sprint from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 7.0 seconds.

ECO PRO mode and all-electric driving: efficiency on demand.
Like members of the current series-produced BMW line-up, the BMW Concept X5 eDrive also offers ECO PRO mode, which is activated using the Driving Experience Control switch and encourages a particularly efficient driving style. This default mode is engaged when the car is started and offers intelligent hybrid functionality, whereby the energy management system tailors the interplay of combustion engine and electric drive system to most efficient effect. Drivers can also enjoy the services of the hybrid-specific Proactive Driving Assistant, which teams up with the navigation system to incorporate factors such as route profile, speed restrictions and the traffic situation into the driving mode selection.

Drivers can also switch to the all-electric driving mode. With the battery fully charged, the car can cover up to 30 kilometres (19 miles) on electric power alone and therefore with zero local emissions. Another option is the Save Battery mode, which allows the battery’s energy capacity to be maintained – for example, if the driver wants to cover the final stretch of a longer journey through town on purely electric power.

Everyday usability: flexible charging scenarios and viability.
In order to allow the extra efficiency of its electric powertrain to be utilised as widely as possible, the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is designed as a plug-in hybrid vehicle. Its high-voltage battery can be recharged from any domestic power socket, a Wallbox designed to offer stronger currents or a public charging station. The impressive degree of flexibility drivers can look forward to when choosing a charging point is enhanced by the charging cable stored in the load area below the flat storage compartment. The battery unit is located a level lower still, which means the car’s overall load-carrying capacity is only slightly reduced. The boot offers space for two large suitcases or four 46-inch golf bags, and the SAV’s high level of variability – thanks in part to its 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear seat backrest – is retained, as are the generous levels of space and comfort over long journeys that it offers in all five seats.

Intelligent connectivity for greater efficiency.
Innovative functions from BMW ConnectedDrive help drivers to maximise the number of journeys they complete on electric power alone. For example, in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive, the electric range available is shown as a numerical value. The car’s dynamic range display uses intelligent connectivity to keep a constant eye on all the factors affecting range, such as traffic conditions, route profile and driving style.

When the route guidance function is activated, the location of public charging stations is added to the points of interest shown on the navigation map. Drivers can call up stations located along their route or at their destination, and the system also tells them how much charging time is required to fully top up the battery once again.

All information concerning battery charge and electric range can also be viewed on the driver’s Smartphone. A Remote app from BMW ConnectedDrive developed specially to meet the requirements of electric mobility enables owners to control the charging process from their phone. It also allows the vehicle to be pre-programmed while it is connected to an electricity source. For example, the heating and climate control system can be activated remotely to ensure a pleasant temperature inside the car before the driver sets off.

BMW X5 eDrive Concept

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
OMG
This thing makes me drool
How soon we can actually buy one?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
MCHL
Private
Rep
Drives: None

welcome to the future
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

And what is the price for all of this tech?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

21" wheels on a e-drive.... gotta be a concept
      08-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Kind of proves how bad this car needs 21" wheels to fill it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Good step for BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
killershark
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: still nothing (for now)

Is it just me or does this plug-in hybrid X5 look really good?

Those 21 inch wheels are the only way it could properly fill the wheel wells without lowering it. Still looks uber nice though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Meeeotch
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Great looking X5.

E92 335i M-Sport Apline White / Coral Red / manual
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Maybe it's the lighting or the picture itself but the rear looks different...or maybe I've already got used to it. Regardless, great improvement on the current X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's the 22nd....where is the i8 release?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Didn't they say that there will be a "regular" Hybrid coming, too?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^ Not sure if there is any value in regular hybrid
On such car fuel savings are going to be minimal
If i cant plug it in into my wall - i dont want it
Cost will never break even with fuel savings
This, on the other hand, makes total sense
I can commute every day, plus run some errands fuel free 365 days a year
Heck, i might not even need to stop at the gas station more than once a month
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
All the blue bits (grill/bumpers) look like the plastic they put on new appliances you need to pull off before using.

Also... I'm on the camp that if you're going electric, go all out to full electric - these hybrids seem pointless to me.

Looks great with those wheels.
      08-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

The $7500 PHEV tax credit will probably make this easier to swallow too. Question is if they would bring it here.
      08-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444
It's the 22nd....where is the i8 release?
Yeah, I'm really hoping this isn't SCOTTs 'performance electrified'... Cus that would suck.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Gorgeous. The wheels make the X5 in this case.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
^^ Not sure if there is any value in regular hybrid
On such car fuel savings are going to be minimal
If i cant plug it in into my wall - i dont want it
Cost will never break even with fuel savings
This, on the other hand, makes total sense
I can commute every day, plus run some errands fuel free 365 days a year
Heck, i might not even need to stop at the gas station more than once a month
From an economical perspective, you are absolutely right.

Keep in mind, though, that the AH3, AH5 or AH7 don't have a significant savings-factor either - but BMW still went with that concept.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Hopefully the blue trim bits are just on the concept, or are an option. While some like to "show off" how green they are, I would not be caught driving one. Otherwise I like all of the styling elements, and look forward to seeing F15s in the wild.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, i'm aware of all the AHs and my comment was actually based off of the analogy with these.
It feels though AHs is a stop gap toward this technology
BMW kind of used this approach because it was easier/quicker to implement and "claim" that they've got hybrids too?
Plugin + electric drive train is much better option IMO
I'd buy this X5 eDrive in a heart beat
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Once they are able to solve the common problems we are dealing with (range, power, pricing etc.), I'd be interested, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Range, power and pricing?
I do not look at them as problems

Range:
19 miles is good for many (if not majority) people who commute to work or drive kids to whatever
And if that's not enough, 4-cyl Turbo will make sure you'll get to your destination with fewer fuel drops
19mil is good enough for me though, as i drive 12 miles a day commuting

Power:
4-cyl turbo + edrive will be roughly at 360hp+ (assuming it has n20 engine)
that's much better than 35i and possibly better experience due to instant low-end electric motor TQ.

Price:
hard to say, but if we take differences between AHs vs 35i's and 28i's vs 35i's
It may be closer to 35i, than anything else
But just think of the savings and avoided trips to the pump
Not to mention lack of fumes in your garage and quiet roll out

Last edited by AndreyATC; 08-22-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0