BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #23
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
Insurance coverage of the windshield is under the "comprehensive" portion of your auto policy. Your comprehensive deductible would determine how much you pay out of pocket. According to my State Farm agent, a claim for a broken windshield does not affect your rates going forward...
Yes, but...
We have glass coverage under our Hartford policy, used once a couple of years ago to replace the windshield on our 328i, and a previous comprehensive claim a couple of years before that on a Lexus.
The most recent renewal of our policy reflected a significant increase in the comprehensive portion of the premium, on the order of 20% or so. Our agent discussed this with the carrier who claims it is a general increase in our area due to increased hail damage claims they are seeing.
In response to the increased premium, our agent started shopping coverage with other carriers. One that appeared attractive ultimately turned out to not be available, the carrier stating they would not carry us because of a high comprehensive claim history. Related, claim history is readily available to any carrier from an insurance industry database, similar to credit history (which is also available to insurance carriers).
So while comp claims may not increase your premiums directly, by virtue of preventing you from obtaining coverage with an alternate, lower cost carrier, they can increase your premiums indirectly.
The lesson here is that you need to carefully consider whether it is advantageous in the long run to file a claim or cover the cost yourself. Unlike most products we purchase where the supplier encourages us to use the product, when it comes to insurance, while the carriers encourage you to purchase their product, they will ultimately penalize you for using it. In the case of glass coverage, it compromises the value of paying to have the reduced or zero deductible.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #24
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

If you have HUD BMW are the only ones that offer the part. There is no 3rd party options.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
skinsfanin1979
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
If you have HUD BMW are the only ones that offer the part. There is no 3rd party options.
Sorry to rehash an old thread but this is correct. I have the HUD (no lane departure) and even going through Safelite they mentioned their is no generic or third-party glass. Rest assured whomever puts in the glass has to use OEM glass on your car since there is no other option at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #26
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanin1979 View Post
Sorry to rehash an old thread but this is correct. I have the HUD (no lane departure) and even going through Safelite they mentioned their is no generic or third-party glass. Rest assured whomever puts in the glass has to use OEM glass on your car since there is no other option at the moment.
True....but Safelite gets the glass from BMW and then does the install. At least here in Colorado. And the safelite guys here said that they even do most of the glass replacements for cars dropped off at the dealer, but the dealer charges significantly more. If you aren't going through insurance, go directly through safelite...it will be the same product and work, you just pay a lot less
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #27
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Yep there should not be a deductible if you have glass coverage.

Heck ive added it once after it chipped..??
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanin1979 View Post
True....but Safelite gets the glass from BMW and then does the install. At least here in Colorado. And the safelite guys here said that they even do most of the glass replacements for cars dropped off at the dealer, but the dealer charges significantly more. If you aren't going through insurance, go directly through safelite...it will be the same product and work, you just pay a lot less
This is true. Most glass work labor is sub contracted out at most dealerships. They mark up the price as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #29
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27
Yep there should not be a deductible if you have glass coverage.

Heck ive added it once after it chipped..??
Policies vary from state to state as to whether its included in all coverage, a seperate coverage, or just included under comp.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #30
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

I just got mine replaced with Safelite. OEM glass for $870 installed, but no HUD
Appreciate 0