BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Lowering your X5, and the aftermath.

H&R lowering Spring/Link kit. Going for my alignment 200 miles after install.
-How adjustable is the camber on the rear?)

i do have the adaptive air bags in the rear, so the rear links allow me to modify drop.

the front camber seems to be no problem, but the rear Wheels have excessive camber. it is very noticeable by eye.

after pulling into my garage at work, the warm tires will pick up the dust and soot. the massive 325 tires are 50%/50% white\Black

i have severely lost traction in the rear due to the decrease of height and increase in camber, resulting in minimized traction patch for the rear wheels. maybe once my tires wear pattern has changed, ill gain some traction back. (exaggerated by I now slide/kick out in the rain where i never used to slide.) this is actually a Happy/Sad problem as it actually allows me to force oversteer easily, and with more control. you would think the camber would allow a larger traction pad through corners(Like race cars), but between how excessive the camber seems, and how stiff my suspension setup is, i cant take advantage the slight camber allows for cornering performance.

the links are not fully shortened. in a sense, the rear kit could potentially be lowered further. i chose to leave considerable rake, to counteract the squat when driving aggressively.

does anyone with msport suspension and adaptive rear with a lowering kit notice this?

receiving my Nikon today, hope to get some great shots.

Last edited by X5Jouster; 01-22-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

X5Jouster , post the picture when you got a chance to play with the new Nikon.
I would say it matter on how low did you go and the thickness of spacer that you are running.
Because I personally never had that issue when I lowered mine with the 22x12 in the rear.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

If i recall he is using a huge 30mm spacer all around which exaggerates the camber issue even more.

This reminds me of my old school honda days where I installed springs which slammed the car but they didn't offer any camber kits to fix my camber. I had so much negative camber that driving that car in the rain was a scary experience. Something to consider OP.

Alan