BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Wheel and Tire Insurance - dealer or 3rd party

Hello,

Apologies if I'm breaking protocol by starting a new thread for a common query.

The dealer is offering wheel and tire insurance for $ 3500/5 yrs, zero deductible and is even stating that I can purposefully puncture the tire close it's end of life and get a new tire through this insurance! (Sounds shady but he does it all the time :|). This is available only at point of purchase.

I researched a 3rd Party - 'wheelandtirecare.com', who is offering similar coverage (online) for $1800/5 yrs. I seems like a legit business with reviews and social footprint (Fb page).

Seeking guidance,

1) Is the 3500/5 yr dealer quote legit or rip off?
2) Has anyone used 'wheelandtirecare.com' - any feedback?
3) Are there any other wheel and tire insurance options?
4) Do I really need wheel and tire insurance IF the X5 is CPO with brand new tires, brand new front wheels?
P.S. - I live in NJ and work in NYC, plenty of bad roads but I'm buying an SUV which should tackle these challenges (?)

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

To some of your questions:

1) anything the dealer tries to sell you is likely a rip off. 3.5k is way too high.
4) what size are they? Anything bigger than 20 that have low profile tires are at much higher risk of damage. It doesn't matter if the tires are new. A hit on the side wall will need a new replacement.

I used to live in NJ and mostly highway driving isn't really challenging. You'd want to be careful with the curbs and potholes in NYC though.

Also, what your dealer told you is BS. Every wheel and tire insurance policy has minimal thread requirement meaning if your tires are going to be worn out, you don't get to just go get them punctured and get a new set. Insurance companies are not that dum...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
How much did you spend in the last 5 years due to tire or wheel damage?

If you spent more than $3,500 you might consider it. If you didn't spend that much, you might be better off without the coverage.

The company wouldn't exist if they weren't making money.....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

FYI all tires purchased from TireRack come with 2 years protection free.

Bought a CPO last September. You'll be hit with multiple offers of warranty - extra year of CPO, wheels, paint. Suggest you say no. You don't have to decide on the CPO now, you can think about and compare price and extend later if you want.

Good rule of thumb - if dealer suggests something shady to help you, he'll also do shady stuff that hurts you.
      08-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
FYI all tires purchased from TireRack come with 2 years protection free.

Bought a CPO last September. You'll be hit with multiple offers of warranty - extra year of CPO, wheels, paint. Suggest you say no. You don't have to decide on the CPO now, you can think about and compare price and extend later if you want.

Good rule of thumb - if dealer suggests something shady to help you, he'll also do shady stuff that hurts you.
Thanks Edgy, precisely what we did. Declined all extras and our overall vibe from the dealer wasn't too good.

Now - I'm still evaluating tire/wheel coverages and found AAA 5 yr for $1800 / no deductible and considering a purchase.

However, with our luck we have a screw in driver tire after a day of ownership! I'm gonna try and get this plugged and hope I don't need a new tire after - day of running a brand new tire that the dealer put on under CPO :/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

That can be plugged. Plus it looks like you have 19s. Those are a lot harder to curb.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
That can be plugged. Plus it looks like you have 19s. Those are a lot harder to curb.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still learning the lingo, by harder to curb you mean likelihood of hitting the curb considering tire height - ?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Turboawd is correct. That can be plugged.

You can either simply plug it from the outside with a simple plug kit.... but the better way is to take it to a tire shop and have them take the tire off and patch it from the inside with a plug/patch combo.

If they mark the tire to the valve stem you should be able to get away without having to rebalance the tire.

With all that said, I'm assuming you did not drive it on low pressure.

Last edited by andrewmr; 08-25-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Don't waste your money, 19 wheels sold here all the time for $500-$900 for set of 4, most of the time tires can be repaired, and if even something really bad happens you can always buy a single tire from Tire Rack and they will shave it to the same wear as your other tires. $1800 or $3500, doesn't matter, both are giant rip off.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Turboawd is correct. That can be plugged.

You can either simply plug it from the outside with a simple plug kit.... but the better way is to take it to a tire shop and have them take the tire off and patch it from the inside with a plug/patch combo.

If they mark the tire to the valve stem you should be able to get away without having rebalance the tire.

With all that said, I'm assuming you did not drive it on low pressure.
Thanks Andrew, filled up air when I noticed it. Drove few miles but pressure didn't go below 30 psi.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Correct - higher sidewall = harder to curb rim.

That is bad luck. Hope you don't get the runaround. Some places refuse to repair runflats. Another advantage to normal tires and donut spare.
      08-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Correct - higher sidewall = harder to curb rim.

That is bad luck. Hope you don't get the runaround. Some places refuse to repair runflats. Another advantage to normal tires and donut spare.
Thanks! I was able to get the tire patched from the inside for $25 at a local repair shop. I'm researched and understand runflats on an x5 would last 15k odd miles. I'll be seriously considering if the next set should runflats or regulars.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilduggal View Post
Hello,

The dealer is offering wheel and tire insurance for $ 3500/5 yrs, zero deductible and is even stating that I can purposefully puncture the tire close it's end of life and get a new tire through this insurance! (Sounds shady but he does it all the time :|). This is available only at point of purchase.

I researched a 3rd Party - 'wheelandtirecare.com', who is offering similar coverage (online) for $1800/5 yrs. I seems like a legit business with reviews and social footprint (Fb page).

Seeking guidance,

4) Do I really need wheel and tire insurance IF the X5 is CPO with brand new tires, brand new front wheels?
P.S. - I live in NJ and work in NYC, plenty of bad roads but I'm buying an SUV which should tackle these challenges (?)

TIA
Ok brother so I have century wheel and tire now I paid 1600 for 5 years unlimited miles and bro that shit worked 3 times on my m3 even put nails in the bak tire cuss I burned it out and my x5m has been thru two idk bout 3500 but that 1600 was worth every penny 1600$ already used up in tires already and a cracked rim
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #14
sahilduggal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilduggal View Post
Hello,

Seeking guidance,

TIA
Ok brother so I have century wheel and tire now I paid 1600 for 5 years unlimited miles and bro that shit worked 3 times on my m3 even put nails in the bak tire cuss I burned it out and my x5m has been thru two idk bout 3500 but that 1600 was worth every penny 1600$ already used up in tires already and a cracked rim
Thank you bud, we pulled the trigger on a 1800/7 Yr insurance through AAA northeast insurance (smart auto care). If nothing else, it's bought me piece of mind. Cheers!
Appreciate 0